Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HaloMom

join:2010-10-15
Chesterfield, VA
reply to saillaw

Re: Personal and main pics

Yankee is a term people in other nations use to refer to Americans.

However, the correct terminology in the south is..."Damn Yankees".

And just my $.02, You can't describe the south with few terms like soda and sweet tea (which I call ambrosia from the gods). There are so many differences between and also within regions. I'm in Virginia.The accents vary greatly between mountains, northern, central and eastern shore regions of Virginia. I live near Richmond now but am from Northern VA outside DC. I have relatives that actually put peanuts in their coke, love country music, go mud boggin and hang Nascar car parts on their living room walls. Me? It all just makes me cringe. But I do love the biscuits n gravy and blue crabs from the Bay. I have never heard of chicken bog though (must be a regional thing). But my Mom grew up on hominy and scrapple.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
chicken bog was new to me, too. I looked it up... and it looks scrumptious.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
I'd give it a try, gotta be better than poutine, damn canucks.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Slydermv
said by Slydermv:

no nudes?

Lol

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
Trust me guys, if nudes were allowed on this forum, I would have hooked you all up with fap material by now.

Slydermv

join:2010-03-11
Thunder Bay, ON
said by Phantasee:

Trust me guys, if nudes were allowed on this forum, I would have hooked you all up with fap material by now.

I got e-mail bro!

Slydermv

Thunder Bay, ON
reply to bTU
said by bTU:

I'd give it a try, gotta be better than poutine, damn canucks.

Shut your mouth! Poutine is amazing!

Not as amazing as country fried steak smoothred in white gravy... but amazing none-the-less

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
said by Slydermv:

Not as amazing as country fried steak smoothred in white gravy... but amazing none-the-less

Thank god you didn't call it "chicken fried" steak. That phrase definitely makes my top ten pet peeve list.
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Necrotize, Undead Rogue, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Mcbrain, Orc Enhancement Shaman, [Oblivious], Arthas

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
You're definately not from the south if you call it "Country Fried Steak". It is Chicken Fried Steak or its a fraud.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
I really think it's a Texas thing.

We already had this "south" discussion, and I have never heard anyone in my part of the south call it "chicken fried".

As a matter of fact where I'm from it's known as "country style" steak and gravy.
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Necrotize, Undead Rogue, [P A R A G E N E S I S], Kil'Jaeden
Mcbrain, Orc Enhancement Shaman, [Oblivious], Arthas

HaloMom

Chesterfield, VA
Nope, it is "chicken fried steak" and you don't say "with gravy". That's a given. I think restaurants started changing it to counrty fried because yankees can't read and thought they were getting fried chicken and steak. It is best served with bisquits and a side of greens. Now lets argue over what greens are ya'll.

And Immer- I looked up chicken bog. It originates in SC low country and it does look good.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
I don't know if it was this thread or what but I decided I had to make breaded pork chops with homemade gravy (vege oil, flour, salt, pepper and milk) and steamed broccoli last night.

IT WAS AMAZING.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to HaloMom
said by HaloMom:

Nope, it is "chicken fried steak" and you don't say "with gravy". That's a given. I think restaurants started changing it to counrty fried because yankees can't read and thought they were getting fried chicken and steak. It is best served with bisquits and a side of greens. Now lets argue over what greens are ya'll.

Halo is right on this. Im a georgia boy and I have lived all over the state and country folks call it chicken fried. Resturants like Cracker Barrell and IHOP have changed it to Country Fried but thats not what a we call it.

and as for greens: they are either collard, mustard or turnip. served with cracklin bread and pot liquor.....that is deep south if yall know what those food items are.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

I really think it's a Texas thing.

We already had this "south" discussion, and I have never heard anyone in my part of the south call it "chicken fried".

As a matter of fact where I'm from it's known as "country style" steak and gravy.

Well, based off an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay where he challenged Paula Dean to country fried steak there is a difference between the two. Both are breaded and pan fried in some oil, but where the difference is, is the gravy. Chicken fried steak (which is what Flay made in error) is plated and served with a peppered cream based gravy and usually a biscuit and a vegetable. Country fried steak, after being pan fried is then braised in and served with a brown gravy and generally with either collard or mustard greens. Having lived in Texas I can tell you, don't call CFS country fried or they will get upset.

Now I seem to want some chicken fried steak.....

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to HaloMom
said by HaloMom:

But I do love the biscuits n gravy and blue crabs from the Bay.

lol, relatives come visit in the summer from all over just to go crabbing. i dont mind. theres nothing like family,cold beer, and pickin on table of freshly caught steamed blue crabs.

Halo, you're from chesterfield? have you tried the shrimp and grits at The Village on Grace St. That Mole sauce they top it with sets it off.

Also NoVa and Tidewater are like night and day. We actually call it country fried down here. no right or wrong just different. see even in the same state you have regional differences.

and are we really having a discussion about Country/Chicken fried steak lol. Snuff must be loving it

Slydermv

Thunder Bay, ON
reply to navymaverick
Sorry.. don't know what the correct termonolgy is... all I know is that white gravy is the second best food known to mankind... next to bacon

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to bTU
Eeeww brown gravy on the CFS, what's wrong with people?!

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to Josof
said by Josof:

lol, relatives come visit in the summer from all over just to go crabbing. i dont mind. theres nothing like family,cold beer, and pickin on table of freshly caught steamed blue crabs.

I lived near the Chesapeak Bay while going to college and I can barely keep the saliva in my mouth when I start thinking of the blue crabs we used to catch in our own traps, and the ice cold Natty Boh.
--
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
said by saillaw:

said by Josof:

I lived near the Chesapeak Bay while going to college and I can barely keep the saliva in my mouth when I start thinking of the blue crabs we used to catch in our own traps, and the ice cold Natty Boh.

ever try it Free Hand Sail? fun stuff. all you need is some nylon rope,fishing weights, and some raw chicken necks. Its great when you pull your line in and 5 crabs at the end of it fighting over that piece of chicken. just remember to wear some reef runners or else you toes will get all chewed up. good times.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
Yeah we used to do that too was great fun.

I caught a king crab in Kodiak once that way too

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit
said by saillaw:

Yeah we used to do that too was great fun.

Did you ever have to rescue any of those crabbers like on the Deadliest Catch?

Slydermv

Thunder Bay, ON
reply to saillaw
said by saillaw:

Dirty girl eh? They got cream for that bro...

Treebark
Premium
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to saillaw
Gravy should be it's own food group, I crave grease on a daily baises.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Treebark:

Gravy should be it's own food group, I crave grease on a daily baises.

absolutely. I'm a "sopper" when it comes to food. (for those who don't know, I save some bread to sop up the left-over gravy/sauce/yum on my plate)

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

This is why you have toast with your eggs...

So that when you're done eating the eggs, you have something to use to get all that runny yolk left on the plate.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
That's what I use the sausage for. Bread is for butter and jelly.

HaloMom

Chesterfield, VA

1 edit
reply to Josof
No, I haven't been to The Village but will definitley check it out. And you are right about the regions being so different. NoVa especially. I wouldn't even consider it a part of the "south".

Treebark
Premium
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC
kudos:1
reply to drew
I put my fried eggs, over easy, on top of my biscuits and gravy.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to navymaverick
I think my cholesterol went up just reading the last few pages of this thread.

Slydermv

Thunder Bay, ON
reply to navymaverick
*hands out the Lipitor*