spc
uniqs

Out70Extreme
@rogers.com

Out70Extreme to Out70Extreme

Anon

to Out70Extreme

Re: [Extreme] Rogers won't activate non-Rogers DPC3825

Spent an hour and half earlier with CSR, Fulfilment, Client Care, ... at least 4 different reps (none from technical support). They all were willing to help but still no success. Last recommendation was to visit a Rogers B&M, and have them scan the unit's barcode in an attempt to force the serial number into the registration system. Will report back later in the week once I get out there.
Out70Extreme

Out70Extreme

Anon

B&M could not register my DPC3825. Wasted about 1.5hrs there (queue and actual wait). Took them up on their offer of free modem rental for 12mths. Serial number on their unit was also all numeric so not sure what the CSRs were smoking when they said that the S/N has to be alpha. So looks like I'll be putting up my unit for sale soon. Of course, Rogers customers: Buyer beware.
lucretius3
join:2006-06-04
York, ON

lucretius3

said by Out70Extreme :

B&M could not register my DPC3825. Wasted about 1.5hrs there (queue and actual wait). Took them up on their offer of free modem rental for 12mths. Serial number on their unit was also all numeric so not sure what the CSRs were smoking when they said that the S/N has to be alpha. So looks like I'll be putting up my unit for sale soon. Of course, Rogers customers: Buyer beware.

I agree. In any case, the serial number is really irrelevant -- they could enter anything that would be accepted. Only the MAC ID is critical.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

it also means they wana teach u a lesson, policy is policy, policy superceedes overriding the mac in their sgi.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to lucretius3

Anon

to lucretius3
CSRs are not trained to activate non Rogers equipment as Rogers obviously wants their customers to use their own equipment. Getting it to work is through trail and error, most reps usually will just give up right away and tell you they don't support non rogers modems. The key to getting a non rogers modem activated is for the rep to put the MAC ID in both the MAC ID field and the serial number field. Sometimes you will also need to trick the system into thinking its the SMC D3 gateway, especially if you're trying to activate a motorola D3. In most cases, this method will work, but sometimes it will not work. It's all trial and error, there is no manager override. If it works it works, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Any override would have to come form IT rewriting the code for the system.
m82a1
join:2009-06-10

m82a1

I am curious if it is worth the trouble fighting with rogers to activate a third party modem? I would not want to be in a situation where i bought a D3 modem and they wouldn't activate it no matter what. I can't switch to Teksavvy either, not available in my area.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to yyzlhr

Mod

to yyzlhr
yyzlhr (toronto to london heathrow), there must ba a way to over-ride the system as it stands now, because Rogers is able to add assorted modems for TPIAs.

If there is a problem, it's Rogers billing system that's the problem, not the provisioning and DHCP system.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

theres a third party dhcp head end for third party modums. thats why rogers kant activate them but the third party can

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

TPIAs don't activate their own modems ... Rogers does. And it goes through rogers provisioning and DHCP systems.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

Third party TPIA input the SN into THEIR system, the mac gets sent to a special Third party TPIA activation server and injected into SGI and activated on the super silicon Graphics inc machine bypassing teh manual entry rogers does.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

LOL what are you smoking man...

TPIA isp's have no method of provisioning the modems. They supply info to Rogers wholesale who does it.

Thats why there are such enormous delays when provisioning isn't done right.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

yyzlhr (toronto to london heathrow), there must ba a way to over-ride the system as it stands now, because Rogers is able to add assorted modems for TPIAs.

If there is a problem, it's Rogers billing system that's the problem, not the provisioning and DHCP system.

It's not a problem from Rogers POV. They've designed the billing system to accept certain types of modems from TPIA customers without having to trick the system. For Rogers customers they've specifically designed it to only support Rogers modems as Rogers does not want to provide technical assistance for customers who are not using their equipment. However, certain reps have found ways around this by tricking the system. This is why certain reps will activate a non Rogers modem for you and others will not because as per policy, Rogers modems are not to be activated but since certain reps know how to fool the system, they will break policy and activate the modem for you and get you off the phone to improve their average handle time stats.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Of course it's not a problem from Rogers pov! If it puts people off getting strange modems or gets them off TPIAs, it's a good thing

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7 to m82a1

to m82a1
Can you purchase a modem yourself instead if renting from rogers ??

Regards
Dabonz

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

As long as you purchase it from Rogers
m82a1

m82a1

Rather buy a D3 modem only (which rogers doesnt offer) and not a modem + wireless router from a third party place. Is it worth the hassle with rogers to get it activated?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The gateways offered by Rogers are reasonable modems ... but poor routers.

You can still get it put into bridge mode and use your own router.

It's a huge hassle getting an 'own modem' authorized on Rogers.
m82a1

m82a1

Great, thanks. Thats what i thought to, judging by this thread.