[Xtreme] High Latency, Poor Speed, Etc.
Three days ago, my DSL connection suddenly dropped. That's not so unusual, and happens every few months or so normally, usually within an hour or two it's back to show time. The first hint something might be different this time around was that the wait was more like 8 to 10 hours. I had gone to bed after giving up on it coming back online, so it's hard to know for certain how long it was out, but the next morning things initially seemed well enough.
Then I tried doing some latency and bandwidth sensitive activities, and something didn't seem quite right. A quick tracert revealed that everything inside my own network (modem and router) is fine, with everything reasonably below 2 ms at the most. As soon as it hits the first jump outside, however, yikes! I've seen anything from 80 ms to 800 ms, and even outright drops. I usually see 20-40 for several hops out. What's going on here? To isolate the problem, I tried with a single, known clean computer, and also tried both my third party modem I typically use as well as the Bellsouth provided Westell 6100. Both have the same issues. Here's a sample of the ugliness.
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DEEPBLUE
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 129 ms 306 ms 102 ms adsl-98-65-244-1.bgk.bellsouth.net
4 329 ms 307 ms 307 ms 126.96.36.199
5 336 ms 310 ms 507 ms 188.8.131.52
6 435 ms 408 ms 511 ms 184.108.40.206
7 333 ms 409 ms 307 ms ixc01cha-pos-7-0-0.bellsouth.net
8 433 ms 411 ms 508 ms 220.127.116.11
9 435 ms 510 ms 511 ms 18.104.22.168
10 639 ms 409 ms 511 ms 22.214.171.124
11 438 ms 614 ms 614 ms 126.96.36.199
12 * 318 ms 103 ms cr1.nsvtn.ip.att.net
13 332 ms 306 ms 307 ms cr2.attga.ip.att.net
14 637 ms 511 ms 409 ms 188.8.131.52
15 438 ms 511 ms 409 ms 184.108.40.206
16 437 ms 409 ms 306 ms 220.127.116.11
17 539 ms 308 ms 306 ms 18.104.22.168
18 337 ms 509 ms 511 ms 22.214.171.124
With such unpredictable latency, my bandwidth is all over the map, ranging anywhere from 1.5 Mbps on the high end to as little as 10 Kbps in particularly bad spots. I've also had several other sudden connection drops, which as I mentioned were previously infrequent. The obvious culprit would seem to be the line itself, but it seems quite a sudden downturn, and the line stats still look like they always have.
Any insight is appreciated! I lack the equipment currently to go 'test at the NID' as I'm sure will be suggested, but I will try to do so soon. This is a little ridiculous.
Normally I try to avoid double posts on forums, but in this case there were no replies for a few days, and I figured I would give an update.
I had put some long Cat5 and power-over-ethernet injectors/splitters on order so I could move my modem to the NID, just in case. As of two nights ago, however, the crazy 500+ ms spikes had calmed down to a somewhat more manageable 100-200 ms, and today the whole thing seems to have blown over. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen single digit pings in the first hop out before. Since I hadn't had time to do much more in the interim, as far as I'm aware, absolutely nothing has changed, and I hadn't put any calls in to AT&T in the far off chance it was the fault of my inside wiring.
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DEEPBLUE [10.0.0.1]
2 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms adsl-98-65-231-1.bgk.bellsouth.net [126.96.36.199]
I'll just have to be thankful whatever it is seems to have passed for now, and if it ever comes up again, I'll have the stuff I need to test at the NID. I may just move it out there regardless.