All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Beez
@erl.com

Beez

Anon

Can I use a XBox 360 or PS3 to watch live TV??

Hi all I am thinking about going with a HTPC. Can i use a 360 or PS3 to watch live TV? I've read somethings but I'm not really clear as to what i can do with them. Are they just for viewing photos, vids and DVR recordings on the HTPC or can watch TV using them as well?

If I can what hardware do I need to do this?

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

If you have an HTPC, all you need is a 360 connected to your network. It is an "extender" and looks almost identical to media center on the HTPC.

You can watch live TV, pause live TV, record, and playback. Recordings can be played back on the HTPC or 360. You can have multiple 360s if you have more TVs.

Beez
@erl.com

Beez

Anon

That is pretty sweet, so I dont have to run a HDMI cable to the tv the 360 is hooked up to ??? That is what I was thinking I would have to do.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

The Xbox has to be connected to the TV via HDMI or whatever surely but the Xbox will stream stuff from the Windows Media Center HTPC over LAN or wireless and display it on the TV. That's what so great about WMC but just not many people even know about it.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to Beez

Premium Member

to Beez
My Xbox setup has 3 wires:

Power -> xbox
Power -> tv
xbox -> tv (hdmi)

xbox connects to the network wireless N.

I watch live and recorded tv - and play xbox!
RLB
join:2001-08-01
Chatham, NJ

RLB

Can the PS3 be used the same way?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by RLB:

Can the PS3 be used the same way?

No. Windows Media Center is (mostly) proprietary, so it won't work with anything not licensed or made by Microsoft.

The most you could do is setup some method of transcoding the Microsoft recordings to standard MPEG2 files, then use another app to stream them to the PS3. This is cumbersome, restricted by "Copy" flags, and still doesn't allow Live TV on the PS3.
CTMustang
Premium Member
join:2007-09-10
New Canaan, CT

CTMustang to Beez

Premium Member

to Beez
wait for some more info to come out of Cetoncorp before you buy an xbox as an extender... some nice products coming down the pipe!

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to Beez

Premium Member

to Beez
So if you have a cablecard in a HTPC connected to one TV and an XBox 360 extender on another TV can both TV's watch independent live television channels with the one cablecard?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If your tuner card has 2 or more tuners, then yes. Most have 3 or 4 tuners.

Beez
@erl.com

Beez to CTMustang

Anon

to CTMustang
Thanks for the heads up i was paying attention to CES and OMG, I love the new Centon Q and Echo setup. Looks like a winner. Just need to see pricing but I'm willing to drop dime as long as it is reasonable for the base and one extender, i have the 360 and it works with the Echo so I good there.

I can't wait to dump Cablevision RDVR and my two boxes. i am so sick of the RDVR, i had to RE-set my recordings for the millionth time.