share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 edit
reply to Mablung

Re: [PvP] I know it's Arena but......

In all the arenas I've been in, this has never happened, but I'm not so patient as to put up with it either.

Normally, I run with another druid in my guild, so it's a 2 X feral team, and stealthies don't get away from us for long. I just wish we as kitties had a sap ability or a vanish ability too.

Bodybagger
Premium
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Snuffbox
Ok for one it's not the nicest thing to do to people in arenas... I'll go ahead and get that out. But I will have to give him props for actually staying stealth in an arena for the 45+ minutes. Anyone with any arena XP knows to camp the shadow sight when this is happening. With all the AoEs every toon has, it's pretty simple to bust the stealthy's asses. There are also timers on the shadow sight buffs... just AoE around the damn thing before a rogue can ninja it. And you know if you are a steathly and you pick up the shadow sight, BAM, you get knocked outa stealth and have to go back in.

So yeah it may be a shitty thing to do in arenas, but so is playing the two most OP classes at the time just to blow through every team. Hrm DK pally faceroll on keyboard and win! Two stealthies taking shadow sight and either A) hoping the other team leaves, or B) waiting for perfect time to split them apart and nuke one down is a strat just like rolling face across keyboard DK/Pally team.
Expand your moderator at work

Arthritis

join:2011-10-20
Canada
reply to Mablung

Question: If this were three Frost mages, and they controlled your comp without killing you for full match duration….are these guys assholes as well?

In my opinion the answer is no. I play arena regularly and the skill required to do this is quite extensive. I’m sure Snuff is being modest as I’m sure some comps have given it to them like a prison bitch at time, and most just leave, but to do this for an extended time is something not a lot of comps could do.

Don’t get me wrong, I think in intent its total douchebaggery and personally I wouldn’t participate in it, but from a player perspective the fact you can do this with a modicum of success is something that I do find impressive.

So really, I don’t know if I’m comfortable condemning you or congratulating you but I think you’re deserving of a little bit of both.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mablung

All of this is avoided by getting out of the 1500 mmr...

People 2k+ usually arent in for trolling, so for what its worth, if you are experiencing trolling people in arena, you probably aren;t very highly rated. By having a low rating, there is no real negative impact to leaving the match. Leave, wait 1 minute to queue, problem solved.

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
said by Arsinic:

All of this is avoided by getting out of the 1500 mmr...

People 2k+ usually arent in for trolling, so for what its worth, if you are experiencing trolling people in arena, you probably aren;t very highly rated. By having a low rating, there is no real negative impact to leaving the match. Leave, wait 1 minute to queue, problem solved.

The opposite can be true. If you've bored of arena since you're already 2k+ then you might troll for fun. While not common it will happen as just in this thread Snuff is 2k+ and said he trolls.

Osirusdatank

join:2011-04-25
St John'S, NL
reply to Mablung
I confess to being a griefer to people in everyday life, particularly store clerks.
Some of my favorite ways to be a griefer:
--Placing 2 items on the conveyor belt at the local supermarket, letting them go to the end, then placing the remainder. The clerk will ask if this is a single order, and I say "Why would you ask?", and he will point to the seperation between items, and I point out that I don't control his conveyor belt.
--Asking for a coffee at the local coffee shop. Invariably, they will take my order and say "Is that everything?". To which I reply "Haven't I stopped speaking?"
--On a 4 lane street, pulling into the left side lane to pass a car, then slowing to match that cars speed, thus blocking cars behind me from passing either one of us. Takes considerable balls to remain in this position for >5 minutes.
I'll point out that I do not grief in World of Warcraft, mostly due to not having the skills to do so in the manner described by the original poster of this thread.
However, since I played for a couple of years on a pvp server, I can attest to the fact that some players use innovative and impressive ways to grief other players in game, be it ganking in world pvp, corpse camping, killing opposing faction quest givers, remaining stealthed in an arena (apparently), etc. Blizzard could prevent such things from happening if they wanted to, but they don't, simply because these things keep people playing. Honest players get mad at griefers and come back the next day hoping to get even.
So kudos to Snuffbox. If you do it to me in-game, I'll leave the arena after 3 minutes, just so you know.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Osirusdatank

I'm fairly certain snuff is a good guy who does bad things in-game because he lacks other outlets.

Why grief a store clerk? Griefing behind the wheel is just asking to be a victim of road rage reprisal. There are some serious character flaws here... that simply cannot be addressed in this forum... but they really should be addressed somewhere.

Goodmongo

join:2011-10-21
Schaumburg, IL
I thought he was just trolling. Pretty hard to be such a big asshat in real life.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Goodmongo:

I thought he was just trolling. Pretty hard to be such a big asshat in real life.

heh... that depends on your morning commute. I see the double-block "pass" all the time. Many a time have I had to "woosaaaah" something.

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3

1 edit
Holy crap! I have driven in over 40 states and countless number of cities and Omaha is one of the dumbest places to drive. there are two kinds of drivers here in the area of town I live in. The ones from out-of-state that the military brings here who drive...efficient (fast and aggressive at times) and the locals. I can forgive the one guy in the right lane who drives 5 miles an hour under the speed limit for safety. But the guy next to him driving the same speed has no excuse. I know that half of the populace cannot be asshats as to keep us all driving slower than needed so I give it up to being just plain dumb. Prime example just this morning: it snowed last night. Not a lot but enough to keep us all alert. I wanted to go 55 which is the speed limit but I barely got over 45 due to the guy in the right lane being cautious (Ido not blame him) and the guy in the box truck in front of me who for 4 miles matched the 45 mph guy in the right lane while the rest of us stacked behind him.

However, if an individual has to do things like that to be an asshat, I would very much rather they do it in game where it is actually harmless for the sake of safety. It begs the question however: Why do they do it? I doubt that most of them do it to piss people off because as they will never really meet IRL or in a somewhat personable forum. I do feel that most would do it in hopes for an easy win.

Edit: and Mongo, I give you shit but I would much rather you troll here than on the road.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
Navy there was a recent study that showed Omaha has some of the worst drivers in this country, youre welcome.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
What was the name of the brain that you got me? Abby someone. Abby Normal.

navymaverick

Papillion, NE
... cannot wait to move back home.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

said by Snuffbox:

Immer said it best, we are intentionally "griefing" players and enjoying it.

If you are going to quote me, you should probably relay my ardent disapproval of this mentality. I hate PvP... but I hate greifing (in all forms) more.

Yes, sorry. I was not trying to indicate that you approve of Shadowcleave.

By the way, for all of the non-supporters. I'm having a LAN on Feb 18th, we already have plans to run Shadowcleave in 3's - to avoid QQ, don't que on the 18th...

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Bodybagger
said by Bodybagger:

Ok for one it's not the nicest thing to do to people in arenas...

Agreed.

said by Bodybagger:

But I will have to give him props for actually staying stealth in an arena for the 45+ minutes.

Thank you sir. It's not easy. We tried running it with a feral, but the lack of a vanish is really game breaking. He's grinding out the last few levels of his rogue right now with ZERO intention of playing the rogue outside of Shadowcleave.

said by Bodybagger:

So yeah it may be a shitty thing to do in arenas, but so is playing the two most OP classes at the time just to blow through every team.

This is largely what got us started playing it, it proved to be very rewarding, so we continued

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

I'm fairly certain snuff is a good guy who does bad things in-game because he lacks other outlets.

Immer, thank you for the not-so convincing vote of confidence?

I personally do not believe it is fair to consider avoiding being brought out of stealth as a "bad" thing.

The above list of things Osirus claims to do, despite being funny, I would never do.

Aggravating/Exasperating IRL is completely different than "Griefing" in-game trying not to be killed in arena.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Snuffbox:

said by Immer:

Immer, thank you for the not-so convincing vote of confidence?

"Fairly certain" is a big deal when you consider certainty unattainable without ever meeting someone, or at least see them in their element.
said by Snuffbox:

I personally do not believe it is fair to consider avoiding being brought out of stealth as a "bad" thing.

If you did it once or twice... maybe; however, when you consider what it does to players who are really trying to get themselves rated, or even players who are just trying to knock out Arenas for the guild points... yeah, it's greifing, and all greifing is bad. Stealth in pvp is designed to allow you to "gain the upper hand" on your opponent... not turtle out an arena battle. Yes it is difficult, but so is keeping NASCAR bumper clearances on a busy highway with total strangers. The difficulty is no more laudable.
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego
"You never truly know someone... until you fight them"

Bodybagger
Premium
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Snuffbox
Rawr the 18th is my b-day and I'm gonna be steam rolling in arenas.. better hope we don't find you =p

lol but srsly... I think I would rather go against the stealth combo than having a CC'n ass fire mage and resto shammy combo that wouldn't stop playing grab ass around the boxes in Dalaran Sewers for over 20 minutes. We finally beat the team but gd I was shittin! The fire mage wouldn't do any damage the entire time but that mofo was a CC'n machine! We went against them before with dpriest/rogue and I had enough after 22 minutes that I just left. Got them again on Dpriest/Lock and was about to leave after 10 minutes but got the shammy down to 1/8 life so I knew we could beat them eventually.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
Aaah, the 20th is my bday hence the LAN. Happy birthday.

Immer - I'm not trying to argue with you.

I view it as a game - I'm enjoying it, and I'm not "sinning" for lack of a better word against them.

I would not feel wronged if someone did it to me, I would smirk and do my best to find them (and would probably succeed).

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Aggravating/Exasperating IRL is completely different than "Griefing" in-game trying not to be killed in arena.

Completely different in what, consequences? Online in a game there are none aside from someone making a toon to harass you about it. In real life you might get run off the road or punched. Your still doing the same thing with the same intent.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit
said by Spork35:

Your still doing the same thing

First of all, this coming from the guy that got so butthurt that you PM'd/threatened/e-Mailed/name dropped and made an all out idiot of yourself for four days straight and expressing that you and your friends were going to troll me endlessly - Extremely insightful, thank you for your contribution...

(For viewer's: he spammed more than 180 pm's over a couple days, many with threatening and negative content. He's still trolling).

Ok, now lets compare what Beantown claims to be the "same".

This:

said by Osirusdatank:

--Asking for a coffee at the local coffee shop. Invariably, they will take my order and say "Is that everything?". To which I reply "Haven't I stopped speaking?"

Vs this:

said by Snuffbox:

We never pop out of stealth - we grab Shadowsight and immediately vanish, sap

Lets try again, this:

said by Osirusdatank:

--Placing 2 items on the conveyor belt at the local supermarket, letting them go to the end, then placing the remainder. The clerk will ask if this is a single order, and I say "Why would you ask?", and he will point to the seperation between items, and I point out that I don't control his conveyor belt.

Vs this:

said by Snuffbox:

Yet again, this:

said by Osirusdatank:

--On a 4 lane street, pulling into the left side lane to pass a car, then slowing to match that cars speed, thus blocking cars behind me from passing either one of us.

Vs this:

said by Snuffbox:

Protip: One of these things is not like the others.

On one hand we have mockery, humiliation, sarcasm, and flat out potentially dangerous circumstances.

On the other hand we have.... a computer game, where no one is typing/saying profanity, no one is being mocked, no one is breaking TOS, no one is being put in any form of danger.

*Sigh* Beantown... just stop.

Mess with the best.

navymaverick

Papillion, NE

1 recommendation

reply to Mablung
He does have a great point.

...and why am I not loved enough to get hate PMs?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
Haha, It's not hard. You just have to prove that he's wrong about something.

He will shortly after claim it was all on purpose and that you're getting trolled!

navymaverick

Papillion, NE
Well to his comments above and your testamony (I assume that you are telling the truth that he is "trolling" you), no one is allowed to drive like an ass or cause grief at the store or starbucks, you are not allowed to grief in arena, BUT, he is allowed to act like a 14 year old on a forum. Ok. I think arena griefing, as mean as it can be is still way less than haunting someone on the internet. It is harrassment to seek you out and torment you in PM. It is not harrassment on WoW since at any time a person can just leave the arena.

edit: forgot the closing )