Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Bodybagger

Premium Member

to Bodybagger

Re: [PvP] I know it's Arena but......

said by Bodybagger:

Ok for one it's not the nicest thing to do to people in arenas...

Agreed.
said by Bodybagger:

But I will have to give him props for actually staying stealth in an arena for the 45+ minutes.

Thank you sir. It's not easy. We tried running it with a feral, but the lack of a vanish is really game breaking. He's grinding out the last few levels of his rogue right now with ZERO intention of playing the rogue outside of Shadowcleave.
said by Bodybagger:

So yeah it may be a shitty thing to do in arenas, but so is playing the two most OP classes at the time just to blow through every team.

This is largely what got us started playing it, it proved to be very rewarding, so we continued
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

I'm fairly certain snuff is a good guy who does bad things in-game because he lacks other outlets.

Immer, thank you for the not-so convincing vote of confidence?

I personally do not believe it is fair to consider avoiding being brought out of stealth as a "bad" thing.

The above list of things Osirus claims to do, despite being funny, I would never do.

Aggravating/Exasperating IRL is completely different than "Griefing" in-game trying not to be killed in arena.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

said by Immer:

I'm fairly certain snuff is a good guy who does bad things in-game because he lacks other outlets.

Immer, thank you for the not-so convincing vote of confidence?

"Fairly certain" is a big deal when you consider certainty unattainable without ever meeting someone, or at least see them in their element.
said by Snuffbox:

I personally do not believe it is fair to consider avoiding being brought out of stealth as a "bad" thing.

If you did it once or twice... maybe; however, when you consider what it does to players who are really trying to get themselves rated, or even players who are just trying to knock out Arenas for the guild points... yeah, it's greifing, and all greifing is bad. Stealth in pvp is designed to allow you to "gain the upper hand" on your opponent... not turtle out an arena battle. Yes it is difficult, but so is keeping NASCAR bumper clearances on a busy highway with total strangers. The difficulty is no more laudable.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
Rawr the 18th is my b-day and I'm gonna be steam rolling in arenas.. better hope we don't find you =p

lol but srsly... I think I would rather go against the stealth combo than having a CC'n ass fire mage and resto shammy combo that wouldn't stop playing grab ass around the boxes in Dalaran Sewers for over 20 minutes. We finally beat the team but gd I was shittin! The fire mage wouldn't do any damage the entire time but that mofo was a CC'n machine! We went against them before with dpriest/rogue and I had enough after 22 minutes that I just left. Got them again on Dpriest/Lock and was about to leave after 10 minutes but got the shammy down to 1/8 life so I knew we could beat them eventually.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Aaah, the 20th is my bday hence the LAN. Happy birthday.

Immer - I'm not trying to argue with you.

I view it as a game - I'm enjoying it, and I'm not "sinning" for lack of a better word against them.

I would not feel wronged if someone did it to me, I would smirk and do my best to find them (and would probably succeed).

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Aggravating/Exasperating IRL is completely different than "Griefing" in-game trying not to be killed in arena.

Completely different in what, consequences? Online in a game there are none aside from someone making a toon to harass you about it. In real life you might get run off the road or punched. Your still doing the same thing with the same intent.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Spork35:

Your still doing the same thing

First of all, this coming from the guy that got so butthurt that you PM'd/threatened/e-Mailed/name dropped and made an all out idiot of yourself for four days straight and expressing that you and your friends were going to troll me endlessly - Extremely insightful, thank you for your contribution...

(For viewer's: he spammed more than 180 pm's over a couple days, many with threatening and negative content. He's still trolling).

Ok, now lets compare what Beantown claims to be the "same".

This:
said by Osirusdatank:

--Asking for a coffee at the local coffee shop. Invariably, they will take my order and say "Is that everything?". To which I reply "Haven't I stopped speaking?"

Vs this:
said by Snuffbox:

We never pop out of stealth - we grab Shadowsight and immediately vanish, sap

Lets try again, this:
said by Osirusdatank:

--Placing 2 items on the conveyor belt at the local supermarket, letting them go to the end, then placing the remainder. The clerk will ask if this is a single order, and I say "Why would you ask?", and he will point to the seperation between items, and I point out that I don't control his conveyor belt.

Vs this:
said by Snuffbox:

Yet again, this:
said by Osirusdatank:

--On a 4 lane street, pulling into the left side lane to pass a car, then slowing to match that cars speed, thus blocking cars behind me from passing either one of us.

Vs this:
said by Snuffbox:

Protip: One of these things is not like the others.

On one hand we have mockery, humiliation, sarcasm, and flat out potentially dangerous circumstances.

On the other hand we have.... a computer game, where no one is typing/saying profanity, no one is being mocked, no one is breaking TOS, no one is being put in any form of danger.

*Sigh* Beantown... just stop.

Mess with the best.

navymaverick
join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

1 recommendation

navymaverick to Mablung

to Mablung
He does have a great point.

...and why am I not loved enough to get hate PMs?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Haha, It's not hard. You just have to prove that he's wrong about something.

He will shortly after claim it was all on purpose and that you're getting trolled!

navymaverick
Papillion, NE

navymaverick

Well to his comments above and your testamony (I assume that you are telling the truth that he is "trolling" you), no one is allowed to drive like an ass or cause grief at the store or starbucks, you are not allowed to grief in arena, BUT, he is allowed to act like a 14 year old on a forum. Ok. I think arena griefing, as mean as it can be is still way less than haunting someone on the internet. It is harrassment to seek you out and torment you in PM. It is not harrassment on WoW since at any time a person can just leave the arena.

edit: forgot the closing )

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Believe me, I'm coming at this very impartially but I have to say one could argue both intent and perception is the same on all accounts given in the comparisons above.

You can argue semantics all day, which you are very adept at, but at the core the intent of the actions and the way they are received by the person / player are most likely exactly the same.

All actions referenced are forms of manipulation, designed to elicit a response and require "skill" to accomplish. In an extreme sense, it's like arguing "you are a more despicable murderer than I am."

The act, in itself, is the issue..not the execution. (pardon the pun, it was on purpose)

But I do agree, if we're going to argue semantics, that doing actions with similiar intent in a game environment and a real life environment are two totally different things all together.

EDIT: What a fantastic discussion by the way.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to navymaverick

Premium Member

to navymaverick
said by navymaverick:

It is not harrassment on WoW since at any time a person can just leave the arena.

Or simply beat us...
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Arthritis

Premium Member

to Arthritis
said by Arthritis:

Believe me, I'm coming at this very impartially but I have to say one could argue both intent and perception is that same on all accounts given in the comparisons above.

Well said.
said by Arthritis:

All actions referenced are forms of manipulation, designed to elicit a response

We usually don't get any form of response.
said by Arthritis:

In an extreme sense, it's like arguing "you are a more despicable murderer than I am."

That is quite extreme. Furthermore it's comparing a negative to a negative.

I understand what you're trying to put accross, but I don't believe it's a fair comparison.

I'm throwing a baseball at a baseball player. (Arena)

Osirus is throwing a baseball at store clerk. (Being a jerk to the person serving him)

I'm playing a game, slightly different then intended and not harming anyone. That cannot be said about Osirus's comments. So comparing murder to murder is not accurate.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Arthritis

Premium Member

to Arthritis
To be clear - I'm not upset. I simply disagree, but understand both sides of the argument to some degree.

Well written by the way Arthritis.

Arthritis
Canada

Arthritis to Mablung

to Mablung
Great points, and the comparison was meant to be extreme.

And believe me, I do see your points and I'm one of the few that has said there is definite skill in doing this and I'm not totally against it.

But I believe the negative to negative comparison is apres peau in this case. You have to admit, these actions do get received negatively by players, and you can see the actions of some of your peers as a comparable.

It's kind of neat that both acts you are referencing throwing a baseball at someone in a game environment and throwing a bat at someone in a real world environment, as both are actually considered criminal acts. The intent is the same in both cases, and physical pain / injury is likely to occur in both scenarios, regardless of their environments.

But the difference is in one scenario, some software developer (s) have established the moral standards "in game" via TOS and in the other, society sets the moral standards. There are different rules governing different environments.

For me, that difference doesn't give us all a free pass. I'm not admonishing you by any means, but as far as intent goes, I can't see the difference.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

agreed.

Isn't intentionally turtleing an arena match similar to intentionally causing wipes on a boss encounter in LFR?

Or, to use your baseball analogy, wouldn't be like having a home-team coach refuse to score a tie-breaking run... just to see how long the game will go? Sure, it takes skill... batters MUST hit the ball when a score is needed... but they need to avoid over-scoring. Pitching roster will get strained... on both sides... but the home team coach choosing to redifine the goal of the game doesn't really hide the fact that the spirit of the game is being ignored, even if no "rule" is actually being broken.

Arthritis
Canada

Arthritis to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Thank you, and I'm not upset either to be clear. Having honest discussions with opposing points of views is, to me, one of the most energizing and enlighting things you can do.
ewave
join:2011-02-01
Brooklyn, NY

ewave to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

said by Snuffbox:

Or, to use your baseball analogy, wouldn't be like having a home-team coach refuse to score a tie-breaking run... just to see how long the game will go? Sure, it takes skill... batters MUST hit the ball when a score is needed... but they need to avoid over-scoring. Pitching roster will get strained... on both sides... but the home team coach choosing to redifine the goal of the game doesn't really hide the fact that the spirit of the game is being ignored, even if no "rule" is actually being broken.

+1 Sir.

But defeating a team like this is rather easy so I really don't see what the big deal is.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Arthritis

Premium Member

to Arthritis
said by Arthritis:

You have to admit, these actions do get received negatively by players

I agree, but so is losing "normally". Or being beat by a "faceroll comp".
said by Arthritis:

It's kind of neat that both acts you are referencing throwing a baseball at someone in a game environment and throwing a bat at someone in a real world environment, as both are actually considered criminal acts.

It is still the same comparison if I changed it to "throwing a baseball TO a baseball player".

Throwing a baseball to a baseball player has both parties entering into the exact same environment with comparable experience.

Throwing a baseball to a (unknowing) clerk is quite different in my opinion.
said by Arthritis:

I'm not admonishing you by any means, but as far as intent goes, I can't see the difference.

I think this is the root of our disagreement. For example, I will "nag" playfully, tease my friends, give someone a hard time for doing something silly/dumb/stupid and laugh about it. Not maliciously, it comes back my way frequently.

We frequently "grief" each other and have a sense of humor to enjoy it.

Shadowcleave is no different, as I mentioned above, I would greatly enjoy it if I ran into someone doing it to me. While I would not at all enjoy someone doing any of the acts Osirus mentions to me while I served them.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

Or, to use your baseball analogy, wouldn't be like having a home-team coach refuse to score a tie-breaking run... just to see how long the game will go?

No, in the above example the coach is gambling with player's well being, or professions.

I think it's easy to manipulate our examples to benefit our argument. So I will attempt to move away from examples.

Answer this first:

Would it not be fair to consider teasing/nagging etc as "griefing" as well?

Like I mention above - It's a game and I'm playfully teasing/griefing.

I'm not threatening potential jobs, physical harm, mocking, or being sarcastic like all of the previous examples.

I am giving someone a hard time, exactly like occurs between friends.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

I'm not replying directly to you Snuff, I just use the qreply button by your name. And Happy B-day on Feb. 20th!

First off RL griefing and ingame (WoW) griefing need to be seperated. The comments mentioned above reflecting RL griefing, or bullying as the PC term seems to be now thanks to the media, is something completely different and should be punished in forms of fines, jail time, or a punch to the face... srsly those are some shitty things to do to people and another reason why I hate people. These forms of bullying on the internet are different from what Snuff is speaking of in Arena. If Snuff was to talk shit, cause physical or emotional harm, or come off as the typical "bully" then yeah he would be in the wrong. When these things happen they fall into the same category as RL bullying. Ok, whatever, you people hopefully understand that.

Ok let's talk about Arena and PVP. For one you enter the arena and/or do pvp at your own risk. You know the consequences and possibilities of either: A) you're going to win or B) you're going to lose. In arena you may not have a chance to do either, but you KNOW this MAY happen. You may get pissed off like lord knows I do at arenas but guess what? You signed up for it when you hit the queue button. You aren't entitled to get a team that you can beat every single time with the same strategy over and over until you have a 2400+ rating. Welcome to PVP...

I may think yeah, that's pretty shitty for them to do. But I've done some shitty things in arena too in order to survive, win, or even drag it out longer just because I enjoy playing in PVP. And if you haven't then obviously you are playing a completely OP team make-up or you haven't really been doing PVP. Is it griefing? Hell no...

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Answer this first:
Would it not be fair to consider teasing/nagging etc as "griefing" as well? ...I am giving someone a hard time, exactly like occurs between friends.

Except that you are not doing it to friends... you are doing it to complete strangers who, for all you know, are really trying to improve their game.... or are trying knock out as many arenas as they can before wife aggro reaches critical mass.

playfully teasing/griefing must be reciprocated in some way in order for it to be truly classifiable as "playful". Running a dungeon with guildies and occationally misdirecting/TotT to the healer or swapping out rockbiter to pull aggro from the tank can be playful and quite unexpected. haha, laughs all around. But it's disruptive, and disrespectful in LFD. Your basic sexual harassment versus flirting/joking argument here...
said by Snuffbox:

I'm not threatening potential jobs, physical harm, mocking, or being sarcastic like all of the previous examples.

Man, Osirus really derailed this thread. I hope it was just a failed attempt on his part at demonstrating a logical fallacy by extending it's premise to Nth degree. Otherwise... what a horrible person....

Attempting to define an act, by what the act is NOT can be a terribly slippery slope. There will always be something "worse" out there that you "wouldn't do"; thereby minimizing the "harm" your actions may or may not be causing.

Ultimately, you and your friends just don't care what affect shadowcleave may have on anyone else, because you've all determined that you wouldn't care, so no one else should. That is further minimized by how much fun you and your buddies are having while doing it. You've probably all thought, "if this actually gets someone butthurt, it's because they are badz anyway and should be doing arenas... because the obvious counter to this is xyz." Such rationalizations are self-serving, and provide no benefit to the other person. Then there's the "It happened to me and I handled it just fine... so should everyone else" argument. I had a rather crass buddy of mine refute such arguments by saying, "I was molested by a same-sex cousin and I grew up just fine... so does that mean I get to touch little boys now?" I know... rough example...

btw, i'm just arguing my point, intellectually. not getting heated over this or anything.

navymaverick
Papillion, NE

navymaverick

Would it not be like leaving a loot window open on LFR simply to outwait a person because you want the loot more than they do? Only this requires skill to keep the finality from occuring.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by navymaverick:

Would it not be like leaving a loot window open on LFR simply to outwait a person because you want the loot more than they do? Only this requires skill to keep the finality from occuring.

No.

Lets move away from examples/scenarios because they largely skewed currently.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Immergruen - I feel like much of what you're saying is projecting. I can break some of the things down specifically if necessary.

However, the general basis I agree with. There are selfish aspects of Shadowcleave because as you said, we "don't care what affect shadowcleave may have on anyone else" - true.

We don't care. But be fair and put it in perspective - This is in-game, I ran Beast Cleave for awhile before it was nerfed. It was massively OP and required close to no skill. Anyone NOT running Beast Cleave hated it.Similarly, I didn't care what other people thought.

Should Beast Cleave be under similar scrutiny? It's just as selfish, people disliked it and it caused more people to logoff their server and flame us then Shadowcleave even does...

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

running an OP comp is very much a part of Arena PVP in WoW. The goal is to stomp out your opponents. There is no way it can be considered griefing.

Queuing up for Arena battles with the intent of dragging out a battle as long as possible by avoiding combat is greifing because it is not what Arena combat was designed for.

Now, if you guys normally only make a battle last an extra 5 min doing that... /meh. but the OP was talking about a bugged out match that went on for over an hour... griefing... but maybe I've held on to that time frame too tightly. How long do you guys normally drag out a match? I'll warn you now, anything over 10min of avoided combat in an arena match would disgust me.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Immer:

anything over 10min of avoided combat in an arena match would disgust me.

Consider yourself disgusted.

However, that's a pretty harsh and unfair judgement. But I won't rehash what we've already discussed.

Arsinic
join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

The opposite can be true. If you've bored of arena since you're already 2k+ then you might troll for fun. While not common it will happen as just in this thread Snuff is 2k+ and said he trolls.

.... this is still going on?????

It is not hard to counter shadowcleave...

I guarantee you 100% he is not MMR queueing at say 2200, If he is, and you are 2k+ and you can't figure out how to find a rogue or 3 then you should probably just uninstall the game for real.

On a side note Snuffs trolling is by far the purest form of entertainment on these forums anymore, so I guess I shouldn;t complain after all..

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Hah, while I agree with you completely. The argument is not justified by how easy/hard it is. (Being the devil's advocate here)

Rather, is it "wrong" for lack of a better word to "grief" the players by running Shadowcleave.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

The argument is not justified by how easy/hard it is.
Rather, is it "wrong" for lack of a better word to "grief" the players by running Shadowcleave.

precisely.

the reason I've stayed in this discussion (despite my abhorrence for PVP and the mindset of those who find it fun) is to see how one justifies greifing (particularly one for whom I have respect). The problem is, snuff does not view shadowcleave as greifing... so there won't be any good arguments. Oh well. maybe I'll understand some other time.