Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fighterpilot

join:2000-04-20
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Question for plumbers

"If you have a septic system you damn sure don't want any garbage from disposers or dishwashers going into your septic tank and ultimately your drain field."

My parents have had a garbage disposal and a septic system on their farm for 30+ years w/o any issues. Tank gets pumped out every few years is all.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

I read that the dishwasher hookup to the disposer is actually supposed to be a benefit for the disposer. The dishwasher will flush it out with a high volume of relatively clean water.

Me too. The detergent in the wash water, which is really hot, also helps clear grease out of the disposer's outlet, too.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Fighterpilot

i have a GD and am on septic, no problems at all. BUT we use it as designed, forget all those commercials where they run a whole damn pineapple down one. you scrape the big stuff off the plate into your garbage/compost pail, then wash the dishes off on the disposal side so it shreds the smaller particles before they drain away.

it kills me the number of folks that think a GD is for running tons of food down the drain. septic or sewer, if you run enough of the right stuff down it at once you can and will clog your main line. my wife clogged ours one time, she ran a bunch of potato peels down it at once. of course, the cleanout is just downstream, so i had to snake it under the sink to clear the clog.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

+1 We have a GD and a septic here, the house was new when we bought it in 1989. Never had the tank pumped but we are religious about adding enzymes every 2 weeks to create bacteria in the tank. Only rinse off particles on the dishes go into the GD, rest into the garbage.

If we have a light snow, 2 inches or so, the tank will outline itself on the ground, melted snow. Then I know it's mulching (working) burning the solids in the tank.

It's possible that some sewer districts might require a GD with a dishwasher. The way government agencies are going now days it wouldn't surprise me.
--
Jimmy Hoffa’s dad was the last shovel-ready job..
Will Rodgers never met Harry Reid..

Why was I Anti-Obama before it was cool?
Saul Alinsky was also a community organizer & Marxist..

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to nunya

NO GD here , am using a septic system. Mine has never been pumped out and has never been any trouble (since 1995 when we moved in). I do add the enzyme stuff about every 3-6 months, and we are religous about scraping plates / food into the garbage

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to nunya

Its BS.

Surely, nunya; you've wired up more homes with dishwashers and no disposal; than with both.

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to ArgMeMatey

said by ArgMeMatey:

As in IL, here in WI a dishwasher drain hose could not be connected to the food grinder (the term used in the code) connection intended for that purpose.

However, I understand the code was changed recently to allow it.

My understanding was that the reason this was not allowed was that in case there was unground food in the grinder preventing the sink from draining, and you ran the dishwasher, the dishwasher could back up into the sink. Given that, I have no idea what the rationale was for changing it.

Maybe before the days of the vacuum breaker, there was a fear of the sprayer hose being left in the sink, and the sink backing up while there were simultaneously conditions for backflow, and the water supply being thereby contaminated.

I'd be interested in a history lesson on this issue.

The reason given to me by the plumbing inspector was that the disposals were wearing out early due to the water (and maybe what's in it?) coming from the dishwasher. Which doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm not a plumber.

TD

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by towerdave:

The reason given to me by the plumbing inspector was that the disposals were wearing out early due to the water (and maybe what's in it?) coming from the dishwasher. Which doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm not a plumber.

Yes, because hot water with detergent is pretty caustic to stainless steel and plastic, which was what almost all the disposals were made of last time I looked at them. I can maybe see that it keeps the grinder wet so it might corrode, but I run my sink faucet far more then my dishwasher so I don't think that could even be it.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to whizkid3

I've done plenty of houses on septic without GD and with DW. But, I had to ask. I know little to none about specific plumbing codes.
I have a DW but no GD in my house. I've never really felt the need to have a disposal.

I thought it was kind of shitty for this plumber to tell this elderly lady she had to have one. She was fine without it, and now i have to butcher up the walls to run a circuit b/c one wasn't roughed in.
--
...because I care.

towerdave

O Fallon, IL
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by towerdave:

Yes, because hot water with detergent is pretty caustic to stainless steel and plastic, which was what almost all the disposals were made of last time I looked at them. I can maybe see that it keeps the grinder wet so it might corrode, but I run my sink faucet far more then my dishwasher so I don't think that could even be it.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not a chemist either, but I can see that, and he may have even mentioned the detergents.

Either way, it's code in IL. And I'm glad he mentioned it to me when he did, because we had a new disposal and hadn't punched out the knockout yet.

Before we re-did the kitchen the DW was draining into the disposal, but that wasn't an inspected installation.

TD

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by towerdave:

said by cdru:

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not a chemist either, but I can see that, and he may have even mentioned the detergents.

I said that with sarcasm. Plastics and stainless steel are going to be pretty immune to hot water and dish washer detergent. Your plumbing inspector was feeding you a line of bull.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by cdru:

Plastics and stainless steel are going to be pretty immune to hot water and dish washer detergent.

Hehe, I'd hope so else everyone's dishwashers would rot away !

towerdave

O Fallon, IL
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by towerdave:

said by cdru:

I said that with sarcasm. Plastics and stainless steel are going to be pretty immune to hot water and dish washer detergent. Your plumbing inspector was feeding you a line of bull.

Either way, it didn't matter why. And because it didn't cause me any headache, I was happy to comply.

TD

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have a dishwasher and no disposal because I have a septic system and yes I have the drain tailpiece with a dishwasher confection.

Me, too. Plus, until I replaced the divided sink, it had 2 drains Y-ed in as well.
--
Oh, no, not clown shoes. They mean I'm in for some mighty bad news.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to nunya

A disposal is a luxury item. (Not to mention a dishwasher.) Honestly, I'm no plumber. But I can tell you there is no code in the country that requires either in a residential (single-or multi-family) home or building anywhere in the country; nor that requires one if you have the other. (Because there is no reason for it.) The guy fed your client a line of BS, because he needed more business. Personally, I would file a report with the local building department.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

+1 Spot on Whiz