uniqs
share rss forum feed

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

Vonage made me an offer (I can't refuse)

I ported my number out to Anveo (went through yesterday) and called Voange to cancel. They offered me a deal:

Unlimited USA/Canada/Puerto Rico calling with no virtual number for $9.99 a month ($14.00 with all fees and taxes)
This is a permanent rate (no promotions).
No committment.
My virtual number will become my permanent number.

So, I'll be paying 16 dollars a month (Including Anveo) and I'll forward my ported number to Vonage. The only change will be that I lost unlimited international calling (which I didn't use anyway) and my bill drops by 26 dollars a month.

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO

I got this same offer after my third time threatening to cancel and port to another provider. First call the reduced my rate $2, second call they offered 1 month free. The third offer, when I was really ready to port, the offered me the $9.99 unlimited offer. I pay nearly $17 with taxes and fees.

batwater

join:2004-09-01
Ballwin, MO
reply to qworster

Thanks for your info!

I was on the 12.50 plan for a year, auto bumped to 25.99 2 months ago, I missed the increase. I only caught this because there was an issue in my area today getting to Vonage and I went on line to check on things and noticed the billing change.

Anyway, with the 9.99 info provided here in hand, I made Vonage an offer they didn't refuse, please refund the up charge and permanently move me to the 9.99 plan as I was not going to make another phone call to negotiate rates with them. I received all 3 requests (my condition for continued patronage of their service)

You will need the retention department to accomplish this.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to qworster

Well is this 9.99 a month only good for 6 months or year or what? because I am on the 12.50 plan for 6 months and after that is up I am thinking about canceling vonage and moving my number over to my wholesale line at voipo.

because I just got my monthly bill today and its upto 19.59 on a 12.50 plan

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to qworster

I just called in last night, threatened to cancel unless they could offer me something better and immediately was offered the $9.99 plan. They said it is guaranteed not to change unless I make the change.

treichhart

reply to qworster

again is this only for 3 months or what? because I am seeing on tv for 9.99 a month because I am thinking about canceling my service with them because its about 20 dollars a month on a 12.50 a month plan.

treichhart

1 edit
reply to qworster

I just called in and I told them I wanted the 9.99 a month or I was going to cancel ASP and they also guaranteed not to change unless I make the change.

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to qworster

Interesting. I left Vonage in October, only partly due to price. They didn't do a thing to try and keep me, and I had two DIDs through them at a total of close to $70/mo.

I'm not feeling the love

No chance I'd go back at this point, but it would have been nice to be asked to stay

minimeme

@charter.com
reply to treichhart

said by treichhart:

I just called in and I told them I wanted the 9.99 a month or I was going to cancel ASP and they also guaranteed not to change unless I make the change.

and as you had asked twice previously, is this good for ever, provided you don't make a change, or what?

treichhart

reply to qworster

This is good forever from what I was told by the rep because this is 4th time to make the changes because I was about ready to drop there a$$es 4 different times because of there high priced crap.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

I would hardly consider Vonage high priced crap compared to a regular land line!

My regular Frontier phone used to cost me about $64 a month with absolutely NO long distance calls on it. Even on the World Plan, my Vonage bill was only $35 with taxes and everything! Dang near a 50% savings right there and a bill that isn't 16 pages long explaining absolutely nothing.

I'm now on the 750 minute plan which is costing me $25 and some change.

About to call Vonage and ask about this though.

Did anyone get charged for changing plans like they did me when going from the World Plan to the 750 minute plan? I'm assuming that's a regular thing?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

batwater

Ballwin, MO
reply to treichhart

For me it is a permanent change as long as "no changes are made to the current services." I very clearly told the rep that if I had to call back due to rate changes I was through with them as a phone provider.

treichhart

reply to qworster

Mine is also permanent change.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to cork1958

Can you answer this also though?

Did anyone get charged for changing plans like they did me when going from the World Plan to the 750 minute plan? I'm assuming that's a regular thing?

Thanks
--
The Firefox alternative.

batwater

Ballwin, MO

I was not charged though I was on a 12 month plan deal before this latest round with them. I never have been on the world plan, it is what they tried to bump me up to when my deal "expired."

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

Thanks

I think that the decision to not charge a fee for changing your plan is up to the mood/generosity of the CSR (and/or the phase of the moon).

Shortly after I officially retired I downgraded my business line to a residential $9.99 plan (their limited use "lite" plan, not the unlimited use $9.99 plan being discussed in this thread), and I was not charged the penalty fee. However, on previous occasions I have been charged that fee even when adding an additional voice or fax line (to an existing ATA, so no actual expense was incurred by Vonage to justify the plan change fee).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

said by batwater:

I was not charged though I was on a 12 month plan deal before this latest round with them. I never have been on the world plan, it is what they tried to bump me up to when my deal "expired."

Thanks,
Exactly what I was looking for. Now, just have to get off my lazy butt and call. I've thought of it a couple times since this thread started, and then get into something else.

said by NetFixer:

said by cork1958:

Thanks

I think that the decision to not charge a fee for changing your plan is up to the mood/generosity of the CSR (and/or the phase of the moon).

Shortly after I officially retired I downgraded my business line to a residential $9.99 plan (their limited use "lite" plan, not the unlimited use $9.99 plan being discussed in this thread), and I was not charged the penalty fee. However, on previous occasions I have been charged that fee even when adding an additional voice or fax line (to an existing ATA, so no actual expense was incurred by Vonage to justify the plan change fee).

I figured it would be about the way you stated in that first paragraph!
--
The Firefox alternative.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to qworster

Changed both my lines. Permanently $9.99 with no charge for changing plans. Change also took place immediately... didn't have to wait until the next billing cycle, although my billing date stayed the same.

The next day, I was able to change my mother over to this plan as well. Good stuff.
--
1/20/09 = The final day of our Retarded Cowboy President!

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Is this the number you called? The regular ol' support line?

Call Customer Care at 1-VONAGE-HELP
(1-866-243-4357)

Yes,
I still haven't gotten off my butt and called!
--
The Firefox alternative.

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to qworster

My change took place on the spot, and was effective immediately. She kept me on hold while she did it in fact. There was no charge to change the plan. She also made my (former) virtual number my primary, as I had already ported it out to Anveo.

She told me there was no time requirement - that I could cancel at any time without penalty.

I went to Anveo's portal and forwarded my (old) primary number right back to my Vonage. Anveo charged me $20 to port and it costs 2 dollars a month for unlimited forwarding.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to qworster

Yay! I did it!!

Finally got off my butt and called Vonage. Didn't have to make any threats to cancel or anything. Never even mentioned VOIPo or anything although I had their page open showing me their current promotion of 2 years for $129.

From the way the guy was saying he was able to do this for me, it sounded like it was because I had been a customer for over a year and do not make any international calls.

$9.99 plan effective immediately, for life, and I got a $9.49 credit on my account to boot!!

Thanks for posting this qworster
--
The Firefox alternative.

Matthewb

join:2000-02-09
Crofton, MD

said by cork1958:

Yay! I did it!!

Finally got off my butt and called Vonage. Didn't have to make any threats to cancel or anything. Never even mentioned VOIPo or anything although I had their page open showing me their current promotion of 2 years for $129.

From the way the guy was saying he was able to do this for me, it sounded like it was because I had been a customer for over a year and do not make any international calls.

$9.99 plan effective immediately, for life, and I got a $9.49 credit on my account to boot!!

Thanks for posting this qworster

So all you did was ask for a cheaper plan?
--
Matt

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Yes,
I just told them I have a few friends who called and requested getting this plan and they were able to, so I thought I'd give it a shot. That was it.

Cripe!
I can't fathom a $10 phone bill! That's almost like gas for 35 cents a gallon (the price it was when I first got my license)
--
The Firefox alternative.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cork1958:

Yes,
I just told them I have a few friends who called and requested getting this plan and they were able to, so I thought I'd give it a shot. That was it.

Cripe!
I can't fathom a $10 phone bill! That's almost like gas for 35 cents a gallon (the price it was when I first got my license)

It is not really going to be $10. I have the $9.99 Lite plan, and my monthly bill is $15+.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Yes,
I know, taxes and what not, but just the fact the basic phone bill is $10 is next to impossible to imagine!!

I also know VOIPo and others may be cheaper yet, but I haven't ever had an issue with Vonage and don't want to mess around porting numbers and crap again!!

Thanks for your reply to my IM also!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

Matthewb

join:2000-02-09
Crofton, MD
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

Yes,

Cripe!

Thanks Cork! Since international calling is not something I do, I called Vonage and was able to change from the 300 minute US & Canada $11.99 plan to this new $9.99 a month plan. Not really big savings, but it is very nice to have a cheaper and unlimited plan.
--
Matt

cork1958
Cork
Premium

You're welcome

A couple bucks is a couple bucks!!

tranceFusion

join:2010-04-18
reply to qworster

Anyone attempt to get this as a new customer?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tranceFusion:

Anyone attempt to get this as a new customer?

Vonage is currently offering a $9.99 for the first 3 months plan to new customers.

»www.vonage.com/us-canada-calling···_domestc

And I suspect that even though Vonage CSRs may have told the folks who took the "offer I can't refuse" that it was a permanent plan, they may find out differently in 3 months. Perhaps I am just a cranky old pessimist, but I have had previous experience with Vonage saying (and even putting into writing) one thing, but doing something else. That was why I was recently able to collect a delayed refund as a result of a class action lawsuit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Vonage service itself, or I would not be using it, but Vonage customer service is an entirely different matter.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

cork1958
Cork
Premium

I SPECIFICALLY asked the guy I was talking to exactly that question, as I've seen that commercial on tv several times.

He said it is permanent, unless I change something

I will be watching my statement though.
--
The Firefox alternative.