Search similar:

uniqs
abatradez
join:2012-01-11
Clawson, MI

abatradez

Outbound SSH connections dropped

Hi,
I use SSH to terminal into remote Unix machines on a regular basis.

Since my install last fall I've had issues with SSH connections being reset or severed after a very short period of inactivity (a minute or two).

I'm using the software called PuTTY to remotely connect to Unix servers running SSHD.

If I enable TCP KeepAlives in PuTTY I still have the same problem.

I've tried this with PuTTY on Windows and ssh on Mac OS X. I do not have firewall software on my PC or Mac.

The modem I have is an Arris DG950 provided by WOW and I'm unable to login to see if there are settings preventing my SSH sessions to stay active (Or stop broadcasting my SSID!).

Can anyone help?

On a side note, I had WOW service earlier last year - and was able to SSH without a hitch.

Thanks.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

3 edits

mix

You are using a modem that doubles as a nat wireless router right? I can almost guarantee the problem is the router portion of the modem. Maybe you can hard reset it (or WOW_Dan can) and someone can provide you with a password to set it up the way you want to. But if it still causes your ssh connections to drop after a hard reset, you need to bridge the modem. This will effectively disable the router portion and you can get your own router which will surely work better. For whatever reason the software running on these is junk. And yes, I am speaking from experience, as I've had a similar arris modem in the past, albeit with a different isp, but the same exact ssh problem you are describing. You are using ssh and unix servers, I'd expect you'd to be running a router with dd-wrt or openwrt already anyways.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

If you can provide me with your account number, or the phone number on your account, we can get this sorted out.
abatradez
join:2012-01-11
Clawson, MI

abatradez

I PM'd you my account #. Thanks to both of you!
abatradez

abatradez

Couldn't really find any settings to fix the SSH problem. So I did as mix suggested. Bridge mode then slap in my router / wireless AP.

Thanks again gents.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

You would probably either need to use port forwarding (called virtual servers on Arris modem) or use the DMZ to get it to work right. You're probably best using your own router though if you can work it that way.
paule123
join:2002-07-25
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to abatradez

to abatradez
I had a similar problem with windows remote desktop connections being dropped when using the DG950 as the router. Once I put it in bridge mode and used my own Dlink DIR-655, the problems went away.