spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hulio

@rr.com

DOCSIS 3.0 with 2mb internet service

Anyone have any luck getting better speed with docsis 3.0 with 2mb internet service...I am somewhat content with the speed and it is for my parents who dont really do any streaming video or anything but I was just curious to see if it helps with the speed at all if I upgrade the modem to docsis 3.0!

Thanks in advance!

backeast

@wideopenwest.com
Your not going to get more than what your paying for. If you have 2mb internet and get 2mb then what is a doc 3 modem going to do for you? Bonded channels? Your not going to get anything special from the 2mb internet. IMHO if you want faster sppeds then your going to have to pay for it.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Hulio
As mentioned, if you pay for 2mb service, you're going to get it.. whether you've got a DOCSIS 3.0, 2.0, or 1.1 modem. WOW will cap you down to whatever tier you're on.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
reply to Hulio
The DOCSIS 2.0 modems are limited by speed to the point that they can't do 30 Mbps or higher (or something like that). Getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for 2 Mbps service will NOT improve the speed.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to Hulio
If you are seeing slowdowns (unlikely on such a slow speed tier, but possible) DOCSIS 3.0 can actually help you out since there are more channels available to send your data.

If you're not seeing slowdowns, well, everyone has already covered that.