darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

dotster.com: catastrophic systems failure (9-12 hour outage)

not sure how many folks around know about or use dotster.com as a domain registrant / dns provider but i work on a project that hosts nearly 60 sites under a single domain managed by them. their systems went down about 45 minutes ago and it'll take 2-3 hours to repair and another 6-8 hours for everything re-propagate. ugh!!

never had an issue with them before (been using them for about eight years) and never hesitated recommending them before (their almost my neighbors) but i'm afraid i have to reconsider remaining with them... never mind ever recommending them again.

dvdny

@lightpath.net

Yes, we're seeing issues as well, specifically with name resolution. Also - the phones are fast-busy. all in all, their IT peeps are probably having a bad day...

DnWIdiocracy

@66.165.46.x
reply to darcilicious

Wow, one failure in 8 years and you're done?!? Since when do people expect infinite perfection for $5.95 a month? I'm sure nothing bad has ever happened to the stuff you manage either?!?

8 yrs * 365 days * 24 hrs = 70,080 hrs of good service. Say you have 12 hours downtime, you're still at 99.983% uptime. Pretty darn good for that price!

Also, serves you right for not having more redundant DNS. COME ON!!!!

- Concerned end user

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by DnWIdiocracy :

Also, serves you right for not having more redundant DNS.

Quite right, lesson learned!

And hurray, despite what phone support told me, the outage was closer to two hours instead!

phrider

join:1999-12-17
Pasadena, CA
reply to darcilicious

My dotster/MyDomain dns for MX records went out at about 10am PST and came back at about 3:30pm PST today.