spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hopsalong
join:2003-02-17
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

AT&T UVERSE DVR BOX CONTINUOUSLY REBOOTS

This past November or early December I posted about about problems I had been having for over a year with my DVR. I heard back from AT&T Uverse 2nd tier support and subsequently had a technician come out and install a new DVR. (He said I had the original model, which couldn't keep up with all the new software.)

I now have a Motorola VIP2250. The tech told me it would reboot on its own within 30 min., which it did but kept doing so intermittenly for several days. The tech had given me his number and told me to call if I had any problems. I called, left a message but he didn't call back. The rebooting stopped so I thought he called somebody on his end and they stopped it electronically. But it started up again. I called again, but still no reponse from the tech, although it stopped rebooting for awhile. This went on for sometime and none of my calls were ever returned...the tech was very persistant in telling me to call if I had any problems. Again it stopped, but lately the tv picture would start flickering, go blank and then I see a message stating "NO SIGNAL" followed by rebooting. It's really getting annoying as is the lack of response from the tech. I have talked to my neighbors who also have Uverse, but they don't seem to be having any problems.

I have been with AT&T since befor Uverse came to my community, and I was one of the first to sign up for it. If it wasn't for my being able to record 4 programs at once I would drop AT&T in a heartbeat. I will be looking at other providers if this isn't fixed
soon!

hopsbehind
@sbcglobal.net

hopsbehind

Anon

you can do a disaster recovery which will erase all of your recordings and put the DVR back to its factory settings. To preform disaster recovery you press the DOWN ARROW and OK button on the DVR. While holding those down you press the POWER button for about five seconds and let go of only the POWER button. If this process was performed correctly you will see a gear come up on the screen with a loading bar under it. The DVR will take about 5 mintues on the screen with one gear then go to two gears with a slower moving bar or three boxes going from the left to right over and over again. It will take 5 - 45 minutes on that screen. After it has done loading all the information it will do a normal reset automatically and go to a normal picture for you. You should be able to record now that your DVR has gone back to the factory settings.

If you still cannot record after this process then the DVR needs to be replaced. Call 1-800-288-2020 and ask for tech support. Tell them the steps you have taken and they should be able to send a tech with a DVR for free.
hopsalong
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully that will also help with the sound being out of sync when I either fast forward or backwards...there is no sound for a couple seconds unless I pause the picture for a second or 2 and then play. Also, when I enter channel numbers on the remote the box frequently displays different numbers; and since I have several remotes, all with fresh batteries, and this doesn't happen on my other TV, its not a remote problem!

hopsbehind
@sbcglobal.net

hopsbehind

Anon

Yup, the "disaster recovery" will delete everything in your DVR and then download new firmware. You're basically starting over again from scratch. This way if your problems persist after this, there is likely a fault with the DVR and you'll have to call tech support to send out a tech to isolate the problem. It could be the DVR, your homes internal wiring, residential gateway, or even the outside lines. Hopefully everything will be fixed with the disaster recovery. Best of luck!
hopsalong
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

I did the disaster recovery, but I will have to wait to see if it starts rebooting again. Sometimes it does it several times a day, then stops doing it for days, etc. However, the disaster recovery didn't help with the sound briefly not working after fast forwarding or backing, and the box not responding correctly to channel entries from the remote. When the tech brought out my current box, before installing it he had me walk him all around inside and outside my house to see where the lines come in. He seemed to be satisfied with the way they looked. We checked the hookup to my gateway, which was also replaced by AT&T last year. So the only thing left would be the inside wiring, which I am covered for:), the cable.

Thanks for the help!