spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eradicator00
join:2012-01-11
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

[SK] Broadband 50 Slow upload

Yesterday I just signed up for the shaw broadband 50 package. I was on dsl before. During peak times I can obtain a 42Mbps download. However, my upload never exceeds 1.6Mbps. What could cause this? I have the cisco modem (I think DOCIS 3) and it's in bridge mode. I have tried connecting a computer directly to the modem and the speeds do not change. Any ideas?

Thank you

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

First thought is signal - levels and/or SNR.

Could be congestion as well.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to eradicator00

to eradicator00
I usually get uploads of 2.69 on my BB50. You might be in a high torrent area. Try resetting the modem a couple times and try again.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

I did reset the modem several times already. Nothing changes. The upload speed never improves. It doesn't matter if it's 2am or 7pm. I can't see there being a signal problem as I have no issues reaching my max download. Same goes for congestion. Wouldn't congestion also affect my download? A shaw tech is coming tomorrow to test the line so we'll see what he says. I have a feeling he'll say everything is ok. If so, I'm going back to DSL.
Cornat
join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

Cornat

That sounds like a problem that can be fixed. I'd contact ShawSean to have a senior tech give you a call before you switch back.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to eradicator00

to eradicator00
If things aren't resolved after the service call, send me a pm so I can investigate the issue further.

Cheers.

Lakebottom
Future Fishermen are Friendly
join:2006-10-28
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom to eradicator00

to eradicator00
Go to the pedestal which you are connected to with the Shaw cable guy. Have him remove the video filter on your cable connection. Do a line reflection test in side the house and then test your connection. You need to make sure all of the connections are tight and have well terminated cable ends (gold plated is preferred) The less splitters between you and the street pedestal the better. The signal is attenuated each time it travels through a splitter, so avoiding using them is a key network setup criteria.
We have two splitters between us and the street pedestal. I removed the video filter with the technician and it nearly doubled my speeds. You also need a cooperative technician who willing to help you troubleshoot....and that can sometimes be difficult, because most of them are contractors who don't want to waste time on grumblers. You need to help them like an apprentice to make things go quicker in the troubleshoot and then you might get a little more effort out of the tech. Good luck.
Cornat
join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

Cornat

said by Lakebottom:

Go to the pedestal which you are connected to with the Shaw cable guy. Have him remove the video filter on your cable connection.

You can't expect the tech to remove the video filters if you don't have TV service in the house. If removing the filters increased your speed they may have been faulty filters in which case swapping them would've been fine. People have full speeds with video filters all the time.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

I have shaw tv and shaw phone as well as the internet. The line comes in the basement then goes to a 4 way splitter that shaw put in. Yesterday I unplugged the splitter and put the modem directly on the line coming in and there was no change in speeds.

Just did another speedtest and got 32mbps down and 1.38mbps up. Last night at 9pm I managed to get 42mbps down and 1.6mbps up. I'm beginning to think it's congestion and not much can be done about it.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Even if it is congestion, you are paying for a service and it is your right to complain until they alleviate that congestion.

Lakebottom
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom to eradicator00

to eradicator00
You are getting better service than we were getting. We get around 28 MBs down. I don't remember the upload. I was testing last summer in July, so it may have changed since I last tested.

Which router make and model are you using? Do you know if your firmware is up to date? Which version of firmware are you using?
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

Router is a Ubuntu server. Dual 3.6ghz xeon with 16GB DDR2 w/ ECC. Also has dual gigabit nics. Wiring is all cat6 through out the house. Switch is a 24 port managed dell switch.

Lakebottom
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom

It sounds like the house is networked to a very high level. If you do call the Shaw tech, just go to the pedastal and look at your termination and have him re terminate the end of the cable and also remove a video filter if there is one in place. If the cable is overhead, you'll just have to take his word that the video filter is removed. Grounding the termination block to the electrical panel or the ground rod would also be a good decision to make sure noise suppression is at its best.

I am on vacation in Radium and I just discovered a RJ 45 network connection in the condo. Here is the result:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3542.png

Good luck
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to eradicator00

to eradicator00
said by eradicator00:

I did reset the modem several times already. Nothing changes. The upload speed never improves. It doesn't matter if it's 2am or 7pm. I can't see there being a signal problem as I have no issues reaching my max download. Same goes for congestion. Wouldn't congestion also affect my download? A shaw tech is coming tomorrow to test the line so we'll see what he says. I have a feeling he'll say everything is ok. If so, I'm going back to DSL.

Upload and download on DOCSIS are very different signals, and so the answer to all is NO.

Download = MPEG2 frames containing data payloads. Usually 256 QAM and a set signal output level.

Upload = DOCSIS upstream frame. Usually 64 QAM and a flexible upstream signal output level controlled by messages in the downstream from the CMTS (basically: shout louder! or Too loud!)

Congestion is ATDM and contention based. If other users are using a lot of downstream (like my area) then downstream could be very competitive, while upstream could be free and clear for you to use all you want.

Cable is a BUS type architecture and bandwidth is shared. It's a big pipe, which has advantages, but the shared part can be a disadvantage depending on the area. The internet for most people is still mainly a downstream thing. I use almost no upstream bandwidth myself.

I suggest you google "Ars Technica DOCSIS" and read the article.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

Speeds are at a normal level now. Just got 47 down and 2.9 up. Can't complain with that. The tech said they switched me to a different spot in the rack (different node I presume). They also switched modems.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

A house is only fed by one node, so they can't switch nodes on your house. They likely switched you to a different drop in the ped or aerial tap.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

I think he did something with the box in the alley. What ever he did worked and I'm pleased now. That was probably the best tech I have ever encountered. He was here maybe 10 minutes. He said the thing I was on before was too congested.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9072.png
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

No idea what he was talking about. You can't change nodes in an alley. Most likely it moved you to a new spigot on a tap. Signal level improves. Voila.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

Had an internet outage in the area last night. It affected the whole neighbourhood. Now, my speeds are worse than originally were. Our home phone has been intermittently working all day as well. I've spent more time on hold in the past week than I ever have in my life. It's starting to get a little frustrating. Once I get a hold of some one at shaw, I'm sure they will book another service call which I will have to wait 4 days for.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

said by eradicator00:

the best tech [...] ever

eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

We did get speeds back to normal again. Lasted for about 3 hours. Everything has been down since (internet and home phone). The shaw reps on the phone keep telling me its the wiring in my home. The funny thing is the WHOLE neighbourhood is down. We had a sudden cold snap hit us for the past couple of days (-47 eysterday) so I wonder if that is causing issues.

ZXPQ
@innovationplace.com

ZXPQ

Anon

-47 with the wind chill. Temperatures around -25 to -33 C.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

Every thing is fixed now. Had a bad cable going from the box on the side of the house to the basement. A combination of cold weather and a flaky cable caused the signal to intermittently go up and down (according to the service tech).

At first they had my service appointment scheduled for the 23rd of this month. I called them back requesting an earlier date because my home business depends on the internet and phone. They said there was nothing that can be done. I then called back a third time and the CSR simply said "oh ok, let me reschedule that for tomorrow morning".

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by eradicator00:

At first they had my service appointment scheduled for the 23rd of this month. I called them back requesting an earlier date because my home business depends on the internet and phone. They said there was nothing that can be done. I then called back a third time and the CSR simply said "oh ok, let me reschedule that for tomorrow morning".

Maybe you should have Shaw Business Service then?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to eradicator00

Premium Member

to eradicator00
Business connections are higher quality, and not that much more than residental. I won't go back to residental connections.

Phone issues are usually booked for the next day as well.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by kevinds:

Business connections are higher quality, and not that much more than residental. I won't go back to residental connections.

Same here. Rocking my Business BB50 and loving it. Came with basic cable, added on two theme packs and I'm at around $110/month. All ports unblocked, plus one static for now.
eradicator00
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00

said by rustydusty:

said by kevinds:

Same here. Rocking my Business BB50 and loving it. Came with basic cable, added on two theme packs and I'm at around $110/month. All ports unblocked, plus one static for now.

I will definitely look in to that once our Shaw promotions run out. Static IP would be nice. I also wasn't aware that you can get faster service appointments with the business package.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Just let me know, I can assist with getting you setup. Rusty can vouch for me

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to eradicator00

to eradicator00
The static is a dream, especially with all ports unblocked. Can finally run my mail server from home, along with dns, dhcp, proxy, domain controller, etc. I would highly suggest the Business side. I would definitely vouch for Sean. I switched from Residential to Business in 1-2 business days. Received an email with all my static IP info and haven't looked back since.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to eradicator00

Premium Member

to eradicator00
While your Residental promomotion is still active, and still fairly new, find out if they will switch you to a business connection, with a business promo.

I just got in the mail, phone offer for $14.95/month for one year, if ordering two lines, then unlimited longdistance included, for example.

No idea what SBM internet promos are happening right now.