jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError

Re: CNOC's Part 1 Filing on the 703/704 tariffs

It is easier for Videotron to upgrade their big router at the central POI aggregation point than it is for Rogers to upgrade TPIA infrastructure at each of the 31 POIs in its Nontario network.

So as TPIA grows, they just need to upgrade at one location.

Note that Rogers appears to have delayed things on purpose. Videotron hasn't done that.

Also, with FTTN speeds finally arriving, the rate of defections from DSL to Cable may be going down.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by jfmezei:

It is easier for Videotron to upgrade their big router at the central POI aggregation point than it is for Rogers to upgrade TPIA infrastructure at each of the 31 POIs in its Nontario network.

So as TPIA grows, they just need to upgrade at one location.

Traffic does not magically jump from the modems to the aggregated POIs, Videotron may also end up like Rogers with having to do node splits, add extra CMTS and beef up the links between head-ends and back-haul to POI regardless of aggregated or regional POIs so most of the work still applies. Only difference is more efficient scaling by adding whole 10Gbps links shared by everyone instead of 100Mbps slices on 1Gbps links.

While Videotron's network may be better than Rogers', they may encounter hiccups if they have too many new/upgrading wholesale subscribers jumping on 30/2, 60/3 or 120/20 much the same way Rogers shot themselves in the feet by flash-flooding themselves with the 15-to-25 speed bump they haven't finished recovering from yet.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by InvalidError:

Traffic does not magically jump from the modems to the aggregated POIs, Videotron may also end up like Rogers with having to do node splits,

This info is a couple of years old, but from what I recall Videotron runs 1/2 the number of people per node than Rogers has.

So if this is still true today (and it may not be due to new speeds and HD TV etc etc) they should have the room or at least a safety margin that Rogers did not have.

Good question to ask in in the videotron forum and see what the techs have to say.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
Considering how much Videotron grew in the last few years, stealing Bell customers left and right, it shouldn't too be a problem for them to continue the trend.

And remember that a portion of customers will just be switching from Videotron to 3rd party, so it doesn't really create a big change in network load.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by jfmezei:

And remember that a portion of customers will just be switching from Videotron to 3rd party, so it doesn't really create a big change in network load.

That depends on how many are going to be switching from 2-8Mbps service with 3-50GB/month cap to 30+Mbps service with 250+GB/month cap. This would be an even larger step up than Rogers' but at least it won't be happening overnight.
jp_zer0
join:2009-07-27
Gatineau, QC

jp_zer0

said by InvalidError:

said by jfmezei:

That depends on how many are going to be switching from 2-8Mbps service with 3-50GB/month cap to 30+Mbps service with 250+GB/month cap. This would be an even larger step up than Rogers' but at least it won't be happening overnight.

I don't expect Videotron to be behind the curve. From what I've seen and heard their tech department is very competent. From speedy POI upgrades with teksavvy to my rock-solid connection at all times I think it bodes well.

I think they position themselves as the premium internet brand compared to Bell and IMO their network is managed accordingly. Rogers definitely appears to be more screwy and disorganized.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Note that Rogers appears to have delayed things on purpose. Videotron hasn't done that.

Videotron gave Teksavvy a decent upgrade date, and then had the upgrade up & running a week or 2 BEFORE the deadline they gave Teksavvy. They seem to be MUCH better managed than Rogers.
InvalidError

InvalidError to jp_zer0

to jp_zer0
said by jp_zer0:

I think they position themselves as the premium internet brand compared to Bell and IMO their network is managed accordingly.

That was true when Videotron had cable access retail market on lockdown. Whether or not Videotron will manage to uphold the same service now that it has lost the ability to control demand by imposing hefty premiums for higher speeds and caps remains to be seen.

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Also, with FTTN speeds finally arriving, the rate of defections from DSL to Cable may be going down.

I greatly prefer DSL to cable, but considering that the starting prices for DSL are so horrendous to begin with, then you have to add 10 bucks for the useless dry loop fee and in the end a 10 Mbit DSL ends up costing you as much as 30 mbit cable... The odds are not that good.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

said by alienzzz:

said by jfmezei:

I greatly prefer DSL to cable, but considering that the starting prices for DSL are so horrendous to begin with, then you have to add 10 bucks for the useless dry loop fee and in the end a 10 Mbit DSL ends up costing you as much as 30 mbit cable... The odds are not that good.

Yeah it's the dry loop that pisses me off more than anything. I wouldn't have even cared about the $99 charge to upgrade.

Now I just have to decide if I take the chance and switch over to cable right away or see what happens in the first month.

I am on call most of the year and absolutely need to be able to RDP to work in the off hours.

The lack of info from Teksavvy about cable in Quebec has turned from annoying to insulting as the days went by. I'm almost at the point where I will look into the costs of moving my DSL connection over to Ebox