how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

you obviously did not know how to speak to these people

If you told them (pretended) that you already have customer owned modem, model hgv-3600, they would likely have no issues making your u-verse order without $100 modem purchase. Then you'd later call technical support (not sales people who have no clue) and you'd be done.

I am surprised they did not offer you $100 visa gift card as mail-in-rebate to offset cost for the modem. I got this deal with no problem.

Also sometimes it is better to order online than through phone to find best deal.

Never tell customer service department, no matter what company you call, that you got something from ebay. Very often there are stolen things put up there. It is not uncommon to see hgv-3800 gateway (rental model) for auction. These are blacklisted. It's possible whoever told you on phone they can't activate your own u-verse modem were undertrained and thought about this model. You can have your own if its 3600, as long as previous owner or whoever cancelled their service. Just in case have their contact information.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit
Actually I knew exactly how to speak to these people. I was a computer phone tech for years. I was polite and calm and explained further when they said no.
I even explained things in non technical terms after they said no. I asked several times to ensure there was no way to activate a used modem.
Every time they kept saying it was not possible. The sales guy even transfered me to the Uverse tech so I could ask them. The Uverse tech said there is no way to activate a used modem and then he transfered me back to sales.

I read another users's review from november who had an onsite tech say they could not activate the used modem and swapped his out with one from his truck so it could be activated.

If you could read instead of thinking I dont know how to talk to people you would see I posted I GOT THE $100 visa gift card rebate, only after I brought it up. It was not offered to me.

If you read my post I could not order online. I moved apartments in the same complex and they said I had to get uverse in my new apartment so i was transfering service not getting new service. I know exactly what non leased modem to buy, its not complicated to figure it out.
BTW the person on the phone said I HAD to buy my own modem from them - NOT LEASE. The uverse tech said they cant activate a used UVerse modem, it has to be brand new from them. I explained buying a modem from someone that already bought a $100 modem from ATT. I was pretty damn clear. 4 year old would have known what I was talking about.
The worst part is they sold me a $100 modem they did not have in stock so now I will be without internet for an extra week as they wait for it to be manufactured. They really, really suck.

ATT has gone down hill with their shitty customer service and bullshit caps. I have been with adsl for 10 years and they used to be so great. I used to recommend ATT to everyone but not anymore.

The really sad part is they did not once say my service would be capped. Never onced asked if I agree to caps. Never explained about overages.
All they told me is what speed I would get, but I guarantee you it will be capped.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
I see! They sucked with placing my order too, but your case was definietly a lot worse. Because I ordered Internet only, they put me on waiting queue for very long time, like 5 weeks. Called them on November 11, and these guys did not have anything earlier than December 24 (Christmas eve!) . Later I called frequently to push earlier but was only able to go as far as dec 22! They said they could have escalated it to higher priority and activate my service a lot earlier if I ordered tv portion with them (of course). Last time when I had dsl with then, I only had to wait few days after order.

I had Comcast before and I liked it, but had to move out and since then I could stay there only on some weekends. So I canceled Comcast. I stretched with 3G tethering until I had enough due to it being inadequate to my Ned's with low caps and slow speed. Since they upgraded my area to LTE, hspa went downhill.

I was ready to drop tethering for t-mobile broadband prepaid realizing that 3GB is kinda steep for $50. I'd get maybe postpaid which gives me little more, but I would have no need for frequent use and where I live now after The end of weekend (northeast Iowa), there is no tmobile and I would not be able to roam on iwireless since its only available for Phones but not modems.

I had to move out to work for tech company IBM, only to find they set up show in one of the least technologically friendly place in the middle of nowhere! Here all broadband options for residents suck! Even tv options are limited bc here it is only mediacom and most landlords do not allow tenants to install Dish or DirecTV.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
It is illegal for HOAs, landlords, etc to stop you from installing a dish. You can install any dish less than 1 meter in diameter. That means you can use any tv service like directv or dish.
Any landlord not allowing a dish is breaking the law.

That helps for tv, but satellite broadband is basically slightly better than dialup.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
said by r81984:

It is illegal for HOAs, landlords, etc to stop you from installing a dish. You can install any dish less than 1 meter in diameter. That means you can use any tv service like directv or dish.
Any landlord not allowing a dish is breaking the law.

That helps for tv, but satellite broadband is basically slightly better than dialup.

That only works if you have your own patio or balcony. Unfortunately they can do whatever they want with the common areas.

Mediacom does provide D3 in my area since not long time ago, but since they are the only player in area, they overcharge (more than Comcast), frequently lie when you call their CS, impose 2 year contract on standalone Internet and have frequent outages. Their only competitor is Qwest DSL 1.5mb/s in most areas, and select get best 6 mb.

And there is local WISP using Motorola canopy wireless that won't work when there is heavy snowstorm or fog.

Whats funny is Verizon already lunched a while ago 4G LTE in Davenport, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids but not in Dubuque. It will be the last place to get it, unless US Cellular lunches 4G this year.
Expand your moderator at work

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA

Re: you obviously did not know how to speak to these people

Hahaha. It depends where u live. Personally I think tech rants on forums is smarter and more productive than sitting on Craigslist personal looking for hookup.
Expand your moderator at work
« AT&T DSL/POTS and U-Verse... not the same.