spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bigdaddymac
join:2010-11-21
Barrie, ON

bigdaddymac

rogers digital adaptor ?

i don't understand this, i downgraded my digital cable service from 'vip' to 'digital plus' and the service rep told me i have to use a digital adaptor in order to get the 60 channels i already have on my 'second' tv without a box. the thing is, i thought if you were using a digital tv the need wouldn't be there for a convertor box, it's the other way around isn't it ?
i don't get this, she said without the 'adaptor' i would only get 30 channels. so what are half analog and half digital or something ?
i have both analog and digital tuners on the tv doesn't that cover all the bases ?
and then she said not all channels are digital yet, i thought that was government mandated last year ?
weird...any help thx:)

a_large_rock
join:2003-08-02
L6H0H3

a_large_rock

While almost all tv's sold these days support both digital over the air and digital cable; rogers encrypts their digital cable so the only way to decode it is using their digital boxes.

What the rep is saying doesn't make sense. Rogers hasn't eliminated analog cable in your area, so the 60 channels you are getting without a digital box are analog. Downgrading from vip to digital plus shouldn't change the analog stations (Rogers website is giving me an "Error opening /portlets/consumer/ptv/browseFlow/BrowseFlowController.jpf." so I can't check right now).

bigdaddymac
Barrie, ON

bigdaddymac

ok thx, so maybe she is saying the channels over 30 will be digital soon and therefore i'll need some kind of box because they will be encrypted ?
wow that seems quite unnecessary, more hassle for customers...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by bigdaddymac:

ok thx, so maybe she is saying the channels over 30 will be digital soon and therefore i'll need some kind of box because they will be encrypted ?
wow that seems quite unnecessary, more hassle for customers...

And more profit for Rogers in renting/selling you at STB.

bigdaddymac
Barrie, ON

bigdaddymac

And more profit for Rogers in renting/selling you at STB.

well the digital 'adaptor' as they call it is free, but it seems that it is for converting digital signals to analog for an older tv. why would i want to do that if i already have a digital tv with atsc tuner ?
bigdaddymac

bigdaddymac

ok i just talked to rogers tech and he kinda answered my question. apparently when full completion of digital channels is done soon here nobody will be able to just receive channels form the outlet to your tv without this adaptors or a digital box.
so apparently these adaptors are converting the low analog channels to digital for your digital tv.
i'm still confused on what happens if your tv is analog but whatever.
anyways...it all seems very strange.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

if your tv is analogue, you will see snow, or maybe 1-2 analog channels at most???

brian111
@distributel.net

brian111 to bigdaddymac

Anon

to bigdaddymac
Where can I buy a digital adapter in Toronto to use with rogers . I have two T.V , But they will only give me one box . I only have one line and it's spit . so they wanted me to put a new line to to get a second box . that's $50 . I can get one from them for $40 . But I thought I may look around .

Pauly
canada

Pauly

you probaly have one cable outlet on your account, thats why they want to give you one box. for a second cable box, you need to pay for an additional outlet to rogers, they should have told you this

cguy
@rogers.com

cguy to brian111

Anon

to brian111
You can't just buy a digital adapter and hook it up to an unauthorized cable outlet. If you are only paying for 1 outlet you will only get 1 box. Even if you got a hold of a digital adapter for your 2nd, unauthorized, outlet; it won't work because each adapter has a serial # and needs to be authorized by rogers. In short, goodbye to all those "free" outlets you had.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

yes if you had been hooking up cable outlets without paying for them now is the time you will have to pay for it. you were STEALING all this time, so you have no right to complain any more.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to bigdaddymac

Premium Member

to bigdaddymac
Rogers has launched SDV (Switched Digital Video) in Barrie; but they haven't killed the analog channels - yet.

Where they are headed with this, is instead of broadcasting all the channels all the time, they'll only send out the channels currently being watched. It's a way to free-up bandwith for internet, phone, and VoD services. The STB they are providing will "tune" the channel if it's already being broadcast on your cable segment, or request it, if it isn't... Hence the need for a box for all TV's in the near-ish future.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to bigdaddymac

Premium Member

to bigdaddymac
She was lying. One thing I learned with Rogers, they lie. Lie lie lie. That's actually in our training manual. While I am not allowed really to say this, but, yeah, it's still analog, and you should still be able to get up to channel 67 or whatever it is without the terminal. You should note, though, when you lose VIP cable, you also lose those free extra lines, so we will be around to make sure you're not stealing from us.

Jeff from Rogers

1-888-Rogers1

email: rippingoffcanadians@rogers.com

Pauly
canada

Pauly

you will get up to channel 67 FOR NOW, BUT wait next month buddy.
no one knows exactly what area is beign turned off atleast not csrs

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

you will get up to channel 67 FOR NOW, BUT wait next month buddy.
no one knows exactly what area is beign turned off atleast not csrs

What department are you in? What is your extension? We should hook up with a few ladies from retention and have a banging good time.

Jeff from Rogers
Phone US! We care! 1-888-ROGERS1

email: howcanwegetmoremoney@rogers.com

anon9876
@rogers.com

anon9876

Anon

the digital rollout has started in ontario. it is not mandatory YET but in the next few months what started in woodbridge then richmond hill will be cross province. you will be required to have a digital box or adaptor on any tv to get service. the only channels that will still work without either of those is the OTA channels(cbc, ctv, global, etc.) the digital box rental will be the same, but the digital adapter will be a free rental.

if you have extra outlets and are not paying for them then those TV's will only get the previously mentioned channels. reps are already advising people that are in affected areas of the switch over, they have the option of opting out for now. more is likely to come with an official annoucement in the next little bit.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

@anon9876 ive been saying this all along, people have been reluctant to believe it, untill it will be too late, then i guarentee you theyre gonna b**ch and complain why rogers wont let them a second DTA when they have only one outlet on their account, lolol.. peopel need to stop stealing oh and jeff, i have no department nor extention, because I AM NOT A ROGERS EMPLOYEE, I AM A CUSTOMER.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

No matter, I could look up your DND, there be a couple hot girls in retentions.

Jeff from Rogers

1-888-ROGERS1

Pauly
canada

Pauly

why do u wanna look up my Do Not Disturb? What the eff? answer the friggin question dude. stop jumping ship like the crashed cruise liner in italy

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

We have no idea what we're doing next, they won't tell us. Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Jeff from Roger

1-888-ROGERS1

Email: wehatecustomers@rogers.com