spc
uniqs
eradicator00
join:2012-01-11
Saskatoon, SK

eradicator00 to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde

Re: [SK] Broadband 50 Slow upload

I did reset the modem several times already. Nothing changes. The upload speed never improves. It doesn't matter if it's 2am or 7pm. I can't see there being a signal problem as I have no issues reaching my max download. Same goes for congestion. Wouldn't congestion also affect my download? A shaw tech is coming tomorrow to test the line so we'll see what he says. I have a feeling he'll say everything is ok. If so, I'm going back to DSL.
Cornat
join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

Cornat

That sounds like a problem that can be fixed. I'd contact ShawSean to have a senior tech give you a call before you switch back.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to eradicator00

to eradicator00
said by eradicator00:

I did reset the modem several times already. Nothing changes. The upload speed never improves. It doesn't matter if it's 2am or 7pm. I can't see there being a signal problem as I have no issues reaching my max download. Same goes for congestion. Wouldn't congestion also affect my download? A shaw tech is coming tomorrow to test the line so we'll see what he says. I have a feeling he'll say everything is ok. If so, I'm going back to DSL.

Upload and download on DOCSIS are very different signals, and so the answer to all is NO.

Download = MPEG2 frames containing data payloads. Usually 256 QAM and a set signal output level.

Upload = DOCSIS upstream frame. Usually 64 QAM and a flexible upstream signal output level controlled by messages in the downstream from the CMTS (basically: shout louder! or Too loud!)

Congestion is ATDM and contention based. If other users are using a lot of downstream (like my area) then downstream could be very competitive, while upstream could be free and clear for you to use all you want.

Cable is a BUS type architecture and bandwidth is shared. It's a big pipe, which has advantages, but the shared part can be a disadvantage depending on the area. The internet for most people is still mainly a downstream thing. I use almost no upstream bandwidth myself.

I suggest you google "Ars Technica DOCSIS" and read the article.