On a cliff

golden eagle

Premium Member

End-of-transmission "tone" not FRS.

what.is.it.mp3
781,064 bytes
one?
I'm seeking the wisdom of the radio gurus:

For nearly 20 years I've wondered about a "noise" I've heard that is emitted from certain radios when the PTT button is released. It's clearly an end-of-transmission "tone" but since I don't know how to characterize it - not quite a tone, not a chirp, not quite a squawk but some kind of noise - Google isn't my friend.

While at work on Tuesday I recorded about 5 mins of transmissions and put together this 25 sec clip of the noise in action. The highly trained ear will hear the subtle difference between the modern radio - c. 1999 - and the ancient stuff - c. 1970.

Can anyone tell me what I've been listening to all these years?

btw, I work at a RR.

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

1 recommendation

mitchell

sounds like ANI or its a GPS location Burst.

ANI is short for Automatic Numerical Identification. Its basic function is to send a short data burst every time the user pushes the PTT on a two-way radio. The data burst contains a unique number. The number may be from 1 to 8 digits in length. The number tells the receiving end who keyed the radio. ANI's expanded functions allow short messages to be sent and received. Emergency, Man-Down, Select Calls, Status, and Radio Disable are a few of the popular uses. There are countless variations for how to use ANI to improve the operation of a radio system or business.

Goto »www.cimtechcorp.com/support/faqs scroll down to GE-Star ANI for a close sample to yours.

Lloyd

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to golden eagle

Premium Member

to golden eagle
I've heard those on public-safety radio since the '80s. My semi-educated guess is ANI.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe to golden eagle

MVM

to golden eagle
It's either MDC600 or GE-STAR (I can't tell which)

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to DrStrange

to DrStrange
Yeah i's usually MDC. It's an AFSK signal usually containing ID info and other stuff.

Some hammies like to use it to sound hamsexy (or to show the world that they are using a motorola radio).

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

I do it every now and then to piss off the old goats around Columbia... (I have two zones in the Sabers, one with MDC and one without)

mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

mr weather

Premium Member

You got enough memory in those bad boys to run two zones with separate features?

I used GE-STAR for my email alert once. It really pissed off my colleagues around me.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

My Sabers are III's with 10 zones, 12 modes each. You can define MDC on/off per mode (PTT ID is system-wide, though...)
(120 channels on a commercial radio...YAY!)

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
On a cliff

golden eagle to mitchell

Premium Member

to mitchell
Thanks for the detailed explanation and link. Found that another use for ANI is to "eliminate radio system misuse". That fits right in with the climate at work. Thing is I doubt that my employer has the equipment to decode the burst. I've never heard of anyone being checked for misuse of the radio and the abuse occurs a lot.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

If your radios can encode MDC1200, there is free windows software (WinMDCD) that can decode it from the sound card.

We use it here at our apartment complex, as people used to screw around a LOT on the radio... on FRS that's ok, but we've got a business band license with a repeater, and I took a great deal of time getting our repeater to sound professional, and I don't want the staff screwing off for everyone within scanner range to hear...

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to golden eagle

Premium Member

to golden eagle
Where else can I get samples of these for ringtones, etc?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

»kb9ukd.com/digital/

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to golden eagle

Premium Member

to golden eagle
Those are really annoying data bursts that Motorola sold (at great expense) to public safety agencies, supposedly to make their radio systems better. Of course in most cases they stuck the data burst on the end of the transmission so the most helpful thing it could have done (identify stuck mics) doesn't happen until the mic gets unstuck.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by SmokChsr:

Those are really annoying data bursts that Motorola sold (at great expense) to public safety agencies, supposedly to make their radio systems better. Of course in most cases they stuck the data burst on the end of the transmission so the most helpful thing it could have done (identify stuck mics) doesn't happen until the mic gets unstuck.

The reason we have them set on our fire-ground channels for the end of the transmission, and probably the reason they do as well is because when the shit hits the fan you are not gonna wait for the go ahead beep before you start talking, and your message will be cut off, I would love to have them on the front and back but id rather know the message and not know who sent it then know who sent it and not know what it is.. also our radios will time out after 30secs of transmitting so you will know in at least 30secs who it is.