how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

Broadband options in the hill country.

I live just outside the city limits of Fredericksburg, Texas. While Fredericksburg itself has Windstream DLS and TWC, it appears these services stop dead at the city limits. I have been nagging all the major DSL/Cable suppliers for years now for service, but as soon as they learn I'm outside the city limits, its the same old story... NO INTERNET FOR YOU!

I've been able to subsist on a Virgin Broadband2Go MiFi device, running a relatively stable 3G connection, but a 5Gb cap SUCKS, and it really makes things like NetFlix a big NO, NO!

So, what can I do? Is there a magic formula I can try to summon a DSL or cable connection to my door?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

There may be a Wireless ISP who can serve you. I'll see if I can get someone who would know to post here.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Ripperjack

Thanks to robbin for directing me to your post

You have a few options, but not many, outside the city limits.

You may actually be able to, with some prodding, get Verizon (they're the telephone company, not Windstream) to give you DSl a few miles beyond the city limits. My parents are a couple miles out of town on US 290 West and get 1.5/384 DSL. If you can get their service, it won't necessarily be faster than your 3G connection, but it won't be expensive and there's no cap.

As for cable, forget it. TWC charges $4.50 or so per foot of plant extension, and that's using aerial plant.

For 3G, Millenicom actually offers an uncapped Sprint connection (though above 50GB gets iffy) for $70 per month, plus purchase of a modem and router (you can't use your Virgin Mobile MiFi). If you're happy with the service you're getting now that's an option. Verizon, via Millenicom, has a 20GB package for $60; Verizon may be a bit faster than Sprint for you, depending on where you live. You can check out Millenicom at »millenicom.com

The wireless ISP in the area is okay, but not great. I think they've improved, but I'm not sure by how much. Bee Creek Communications is the name of the ISP. »beecreek.net is the website. Their packages aren't great according to the website, however they have made some network improvements such that you may get something better than what's posted. The $70 package now may be 2 Mbps down, 1 up but then again it may not...

Ripperjack

Fredericksburg, TX

Thanks for the update, but it appears all the wireless options don't give me more that what I already have. I can survive on the Virgin Broadband2Go, which I'm only paying $42 a month for as I was grandfathered in before the price hike, so I might as well keep on using it. Everything else is just more expensive, for pretty much the same service.

The Verizon option does look attractive, since it will probably be cheaper and unlimited, but while you say I could get it with a little prodding, I am 5 miles outside of town according to Google maps, so I doubt Verizon would give a crap about a single customer like me being so far out of town.

I guess the day I get decent Internet, is the day I move house to the big city.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

If you're that far out of town, DSL won't reach you unfortunately. They have only one DSLAM to my knowledge, and that's in the CO on Llano St. As such, your Virgin Mobile account is your best bet, since it is grandfathered.

Hey, at least web access at the library is free (they're on a 10/1 TWC connection last I checked).

Ripperjack

Fredericksburg, TX

Thanks, I know I'm pretty much screwed. Unless a really rich neighbor bribes TWC to run a cable into our local area, I'm stick with this 3G rubbish. Which is a shame too, since there are 20 houses clustered around my location, so TWC could make an easy 20 new accounts, if they would bother running cable along the two miles it would take, to connect to their main line that runs along Highway 290.

On a side note, I discovered a new ISP. Hill Country Web (»hillcountryweb.com/). They are another radio wireless outfit, like Bee Creek Communications, but with slightly higher priced packages, with slower speeds. So I won't be contacting them for help.