uniqs
share rss forum feed

Storm97
Premium
join:2003-04-14
Evanston, WY

2 edits

[DIRECTV] THR-22 vs HR-2X or HR-3X

So, got to play with the new DirecTV TiVo today in depth and I have to say... even as an ex-Tivo user (still got my R10 sitting in my utility room), I am not that impressed... They basically took an HR-22, stripped important features off of it and put in TiVo hardware...

Aside the fact that there WILL be an additional monthly charge for having the TiVo... Not MRV compatible; NO 3D; only buffers 30 mins of Live TV at a time; Boot Time has NOT improved (10+ minutes to boot); Needs a DECA attached for internet, and will only download limited On Demand titles, not Cinema PLUS titles (anything that comes over the satellite rather than the internet will not be available); No TV Apps; No game search from the sports channels; No caller ID log saved; No Youtube; No SHEF (will not integrate with the iPad and will also not work with the NOMAD)...

Sorta personally disappointed... But, I guess it's still a TiVo... and I have always liked that my TiVo would tell ME what IT thought I should watch based on my ratings...

Looks like I will be doing the HR-34 for my own upgrade based on all this... Little birdie told me that the nationwide launch will be Feb 8 and that the HR-34 will then be available to everyone, not just in select markets.
--
Words of advice for today... "Be Happy, Drink Coffee, Drive Safe!"

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
kudos:1
Thank you for that information, I will be sure to pass this along to my co-workers tomorrow. What a bummer on so many levels, the biggest being the buffer.

bbonacci

join:2012-02-03
reply to Storm97
I understand that the DECA adapter is NOT required.

Storm97
Premium
Evanston, WY
said by bbonacci:

I understand that the DECA adapter is NOT required.

Well, you can plug an ethernet cable directly in to get internet to it, but unlike the HR24, the DECA is NOT built-in...
--

Storm97
Premium
Evanston, WY
reply to Storm97
Click for full size
Adding Receiver
For those that are interested... THR-22 is now available to existing as well as new customers... Just verified on the website...

And for those who want the HR-34... A little birdie told me you should call in now... (It's not listed on the website yet, but I know a few existing customers who ordered today and had no issues)
--

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA
With the HR-34, do you need another STB at the TV at all? I might be mounting a tv on a wall with no space for a box (without some woodwork) and an RVU setup would be ideal. I know I would need an RVU capable TV as well.

Storm97
Premium
Evanston, WY
Nope, you would need a coax feed from the main splitter and just enough room for a DECA BB
--

seginus

Worcester, MA

1 edit
What if I have a home-grown MRV setup via wireless already working. How would that play out?

My bedroom TV is set up this way:
main STB=>MOCA=>main router=>bridged N router=>bedroom STB

Will I need to go full on MRV/HMC with new SWiM cabling, etc?

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
said by seginus:

What if I have a home-grown MRV setup via wireless already working. How would that play out?

Will I need to go full on MRV/HMC with new SWiM cabling, etc?

Wireless does not work very well. You may have it working, but it is not the norm.

You would need a SWM for the HR34.

Storm97
Premium
Evanston, WY
reply to seginus
Well, the official answer is that the DECA BB is DTV's only "supported" method for RVU to work... Not to say that it won't work with your setup, but a tech is going to be REAL hesitant to put his number on a non-supported setup when he comes to do the HR-34 for you...
--

seginus

Worcester, MA
meh. Planned on doing a dish move anyway at some point so this may be the time.