uniqs

npln
Us Army
join:2000-07-17
Martinez, CA

npln to r81984

to r81984

Re: modem activation

My understanding is that ATT is "forcing" all customers to Uverse. Eventually moving away from the "old" DSL. Why? not sure, there could be many reasons. Raging from Uverse is all IP based, some of the regulations that govern traditional pots may not govern Uverse. To maybe the Uverse techs are a cheaper labor force than the techs that work on the "older" DSL. Who knows, but the executives at ATT that make all the decisions yet have never lifted a tool.

As far as modems go.....older DSL uses pppoe, while Uverse uses MAC address authentication. Thus having more control as to what modems connect and which ones don't.

My 2 cents, may not help you. Just my opinion of ATT. I too was happy with my "old" DSL running at 1.5, never had the need for more. Yet at my new place I get forced to Uverse, had no choice. Yet my next door neighbor does have "old" DSL. I was lucky that all went smooth and happy with the service. I just don't like NOT having a choice! and AT&T doesn't give you one.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Uverse does not use mac address authentication. Cloning a mac address will not give you access.