uniqs
share rss forum feed

bor1904

join:2012-01-13

IPv6 geolocation

Hi,
I will create works on:

"Solutions geolokalizacyjne for emergency services in IPv6 networks"

Maybe this will explain very briefly what it was ...
Assuming that we only ever pass on the IP communications, and which is probably inevitable to IPv6, and what you see today will increase mobility, we have to cope with the exact geolocalisation.

Today in the era of mobile and landline phones are fast enough geolocation and precise.

But what about the location of the IP when someone calls for help or when someone has a "medical equipment" with a network module and needs help?

Current measurement (eg, pings), without measuring (eg databases) and hybrid location methods usually give a result of an area of hundreds or thousands km ^ 2 - which is useless for emergency services, and sufficient for marketing purposes.

----------------
VoIP operators in the present moment the registration number to ask for your address data and change them when a person moves .... know how it is - there is no time or simply forgotten about it ....

You may remember in different ways, but how sure are true? if you can force a user to enter such data in general?
-----------------

What's your opinion on IPv6 can improve or increase the accuracy of geolocation?
(DNS? DHCP? Header fields? Ext headers? Routing protocols for IPv6? ICMPv6? Neighbor discovery protocol? ...?)

Also looking for a suitable literature (geolocation, IPv6, VoIP)
and the parties and for the above topics.

I would like to know your point of view ...

PS: Please do not discuss in this theme about whether everything will soon move to IPv6 (though I assume it without command)

Thank you in advance for statements, suggestions, ideas, tips, and sources of knowledge

(Sorry for my English )

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

I think using IP for geo-location is a dangerous idea. Many ISPs routinely re-distribute IP blocks to different geographic locations as customer demand shifts. Use GPS and a dynamic location updating system (it would be similar to dynamic DNS in that the customer equipment would periodically transmit it's IP address and physical location to a central server.)

/just my 2 cents

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to bor1904

not sure IPv6 geolocation would be everyone's cup of tea (privacy-wise). Every time I connect, right now they either don't have the info. or guess wrongly because my tunnel provider's PoP is in Ashburn, VA, USA. I'm not quite sure I feel comfortable publishing that the netblock which was allocated to me is located where I am. Maybe is it were just down to Cheektowaga, NY, USA, that'd be OK.

Google certainly didn't know, because I had trouble signing up for Google Voice. They didn't know my netblock was even in the USA.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
reply to bor1904

One thing to note is that the IPv4 geolocation will get significantly worse with the introduction of carrier-grade NAT.

eyetack

join:2002-09-05
Leicester, MA

1 recommendation

reply to bor1904

The only way to reliably geolocate anything with an address method is probably to use static addressing to the subnet level. This is only possible because the addressable space is so vast, that the rollout of v6 should return us to a more-or-less flat Internet.

Secondarily, it may be possible with mobile devices to push out a DNS record update which contains coordinates of the last-known update, which could be done in a TXT or LOC manner. However, that has really little to do with the underlying addressing.
--
++I;