uniqs
share rss forum feed

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
reply to J E F F

Re: [Baseball]Official 2012 Toronto Blue Jays Thread

I'm more anxious for the start. I helped a friend build his fantasy baseball team as we discussed strategies and what not. Then I see that Seattle and Oakland have started their seasons in Japan yet everyone else is still in Spring training. It really sucks knowing the season has started, yet it really hasn't.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

For you who have not followed, the Jays picked up win number 22 yesterday against Boston..a new club record for pre-season, beating 1989's 21 win total. (that was the year the Jays debuted at SkyDome, they also fired Williams that year, Gaston ran the show afterwards, they Jays were impressive after Williams was fired, going 71-37 -- they also made the playoffs, edging out Baltimore the final weekend...going on to lose against Oakland if my memory serves me correctly.

There is a very slight correlation between pre-season wins and regular season wins...sadly, it's 'very little' and not 'a lot'. Still, it shows this team has a lot of depth, which is good if anyone gets injured.

Consider that year that at the point that Jimy was fired they were 12-24...that they came from 12 games under 500 to win the division...in that day and age, is nothing short of remarkable...yes, there were the easy wins of the day, the Cleveland Indians to beat up on, the Tigers when they were bad that year (wow, 103 losses)...Imagine if the Yanks finished 74-87 in today's day and age, someone would be shot...it happenned in 1989...

But to come back and finish 16 games over, was quite a year...

So, I'm excited, I think the Jays will be there, I have Boston pegged at 84 wins...I hope that Tampa doesn't give us fits and we can finally slay them, much like when we had to take down Milwaukee back in the day...they owned us practically, we had to beat them to get over the hump and if we do well against the Rays, we'll do fine against everyone else I'm sure of it.

Here's to hoping!!

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to J E F F
LOL! Jays down 4-1 top of the 9th and make an awesome comeback to tie it up 4-4. With 1 out only right now and 1 on 2nd! GO JAYS GO

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Yeah awesome rally. Funny thing I just turned it on for that top 9th. I forgot it was an early start.

LaZ3R
Premium
. Trouble now though... Wonder if Jays can push this into extra innings

LaZ3R
Premium
reply to J E F F
WOOHOO!

Jays with an excellent comeback in the 9th and secure the bottom to force extra!

LaZ3R
Premium
reply to J E F F
Going into the 12th now... heh, wonder who's going to mess up first

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Jays got out of a bases loaded 1 out in the bottom 12th... Top of 13th now.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
When did we get Omar Visguel?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I believe they invited him to a sprint training tryout... Looks like he impressed enough to make the team.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to ZZZZZZZ
Crap what a dummy...........run to 1st ,idiot.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yeah, Rajai Davis had a duh moment there for sure... wasted 2 on nobody out...

This is quite the marathon for opening day...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Jays batting in the top of 16th, 2 on, no out.

Broke the record for longest opening day game.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
WOOOOOOO JP Arencibia 3 run homer!!!!

7-4 Jays!

noelstrom
meh.
Premium
join:2003-04-07
London, ON
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to HiVolt
Cool,what a blast.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Click for full size
7-4 Jays final! What a game it turned out to be!

I think if Cleveland left their starter for the 9th, the outcome would have been much different.

noelstrom
meh.
Premium
London, ON
said by HiVolt:

I think if Cleveland left their starter for the 9th, the outcome would have been much different.

Ya think? The Jays couldn't touch him...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Wow, the opening day record this game broke was quite old!

15 innings, Cleveland and Detroit in 1960
15 innings, Philadelphia and Washington in 1926.
--
Tank Nation 2012

noelstrom
meh.
Premium
London, ON
That's crazy!

Well, I figure it'll take 90 wins to get the wild card this year. So we're one down, 89 to go.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, the opening day record this game broke was quite old!

15 innings, Cleveland and Detroit in 1960
15 innings, Philadelphia and Washington in 1926.

Jays like setting these odd records.

A win is a win. Glad to see the relief crew hold it together for so long. Not impressed with lack of offence though, 7 runs through 16 isn't much.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
It's good timing tomorrow is a day off. Kind of weird, if you ask me, to have an opening day game then a day off then two games to finish up the series Sat/Sun.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

He was signed to a minor league deal in the off-season with an invitation to come to camp...and if he made the squad he'd make X...I don't know that number off the top of my head...

So yeah, there are current Jays on the team (Henderson Alvarez) who could be Omar's SON! ... Not saying that's true...but just to show you the gender gap, Omar is 44, will turn 45 this year and Henderson is 21....

Anyway, what an amazing game. Big comeback, you never know whats going to happen and sure was exciting...were there some blunders, yes, were there some amazing catches, yes, can anyone tell me how Edwin's Double off the wall in the 9th WASNT a Homer??...It had Home run sound written all over it...

If he hits the homer, then the rest is moot and the Jays probably win 5-4...but as they say, a Win is a Win...we'll take it, JoeyBats playing 1st Base, 5 Man Infield....way to pull out all the circus moves in the 1st game!! But I loved every minute of it!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yea, hehe I didn't even watch until the top of the 9th, because i forgot it was an early game. Picked a good time to turn it on, but when I checked the score I was like, meh, do I even bother? Good thing I did.

noelstrom
meh.
Premium
London, ON
See, you nearly watched a 9 inning game anyway.

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
reply to nitzguy
The highlight for me was Rasmus' catch in what I think was the 4th (just a guess, game was too long to remember the inning :P). He just made that sick dive to save what was a for sure double and help keep the score at 4.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to J E F F
Jays leading in the 9th, by 1 run. Johnson got a HR.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Yeah, lets hope the bullpen can hold this one. It was a nice comeback, after the Jays were mesmorized by yet another starter having been no-hit for nearly 7 innings.

Brandon Morrow had an excellent start, but for the second straight game the starter will get a no decision.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
OH MAN!!!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON