uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
reply to Johkal

Re: 2012 Modem Poll

I voted for SB6120, but just realized I've got the SB5120. mea culpa.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Zoom 5341J. own. I had a sb6120,but it was damaged when I tripped over the cable... . Both deliver about the same on speed tests, but the Zoom is 8x4. I only get 4x1 now, but I'm ready when Comcast is...

Just my 2 cents...My old sb5100 would only get about half the upload as the D3 modems
...and during peak hrs it would really slow down from congestion...So IMHO any D3 modem with bonded channels works better than any D2 on an upgraded system....

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to Johkal
Motorola 6120, own, NO issues with this modem at any time since I bought it.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Great Poll Johkal See Profile, I voted the Cisco DPC3000 as that is what I am using although I do see the Zoom 5341J is gaining in popularity with good reviews.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal
But the list is not 100% correct. I know of at least one Comcast supplied (and therefor approved) modem that is not on the list- the one I have. There could be others. I wonder what the additional letters after the Arris model numbers mean. For example, I have a TM602G/CT. The TM602G is the main part of the model number, but I wonder if the additional letters "CT" have an relevant meaning. A quick Google search suggests that they might:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi···p/949273

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
Just for information, you can't add to a poll list without breaking the poll. So, Johkal See Profile would need to start over every time someone wants a modem added.

I think he did well to go with the current list Comcast provided and I suspect he knew there are others in use.

A search of this forum on "TM602" only got 36 hits before this post, so it doesn't seem often mentioned here.

See ---> »/nsearch?q=TM6···95494573

Hopefully, anyone other than you who is using it will reply to one of your posts in this topic so we get an idea how it compares to those in the poll?

I added a link to your first post in this topic to the bottom of the original post.

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to owlyn
Doing a bit of research, it may appear that the "CT" is a Comcast only version of the TM602G. Therefore, all TM602Gs leased by Comast are "CT" versions. On the Arris site, they do not list a "CT" version; only "G". Doing a search here on BBR, yields that the 'CT" description only shows up on the Comcast forum. The standard "G" version shows up for other cable providers.

Arris site for ref: »www.arrisi.com/support/guides/600_series.asp

This should be a good start for you if you feel inclined to investigate this further.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Johkal
Not much love for the SB5100. Most of them must have died by now lol.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Johkal
I have a SB5100 that I purchased back in 2005. It still works just fine. I have the standard 12/2 service so I don't see any point in "upgrading" to a newer D3 modem when this one still works without any problem. Over the years Comcast has attempted twice to claim my modem as theirs, so I've kept the receipt of my purchase just in case.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

Not much love for the SB5100. Most of them must have died by now lol.

Not at all I still have my working 6 year old 5100 on the 'reserve' shelf, but I listed the modem I currently use.
even though 5100's are still fairly useful, I wouldn't recommend shopping for any older modem, but if offered for free/very cheap, it's a great budget choice.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
I wouldn't suggest buying one new, but ours has worked since 2003, and will probably keep going for a while, so no need to replace it unless our node gets congested (highly unlikely in this neck of the woods).

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Johkal
Rocking the SB6120 and don't plan to change for years... Or atleast until i've recovered my full cost of the modem from saving $7/mo to comcast (14 months).

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to owlyn
said by owlyn:

But the list is not 100% correct. I know of at least one Comcast supplied (and therefor approved) modem that is not on the list- the one I have. There could be others. I wonder what the additional letters after the Arris model numbers mean. For example, I have a TM602G/CT. The TM602G is the main part of the model number, but I wonder if the additional letters "CT" have an relevant meaning. A quick Google search suggests that they might:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi···p/949273

After reviewing the list on the Comcast site, I determined that when there is no designation after the "G" on Arris modems, it is an NCS, so I was able to vote- TM602G-NCS.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Johkal
Since I voted "Other", I figured I would let everyone know what Modem I do have.

according to the page that comes up when I browse to the modem config page (»192.168.100.1/), the name that it shows is below

DPC2100R2

As far as did I purchase this, or do I rent, I know we are renting it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to Johkal
Mine is the Motorola SB6120

Oh look, we're winning!

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to Johkal
Cisco DPC3000 owned. Has been very stable and consistent.

LMoreland

join:2010-07-28
Littleton, CO
reply to Johkal
I am unable to tell whether I have an Arris 722G (ims) or (ncs). What is the difference?

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Johkal
Not a surprise that the first retail DOCSIS 3.0 modem available,back in early 2009,the Motorola SB6120, is the most used modem in the poll.Still there is a very limited selection of DOCSIS 3.0 retail modems.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Mine is the best, that will be all.

Mod Note: You made me laugh. Still, let's not continue, folks. ~sorto'

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
reply to Johkal
I vote DrModem See Profile. That is all.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Same. Where is the entry for DrModem See Profile

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
We the people demand DrModem See Profile be included in this list!
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
Yes, this has obviously been a grave oversight, as I am the best modem money can buy.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to Kristopher
OK, you are fun and funny guys, but let's allow the sidetrack to dissipate at this point.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Johkal
I don't know what the difference is between IMS and NCS after the Arris TM722G options mean but I use an Arris TM722G (which I purchased for $149 at Best Buy) for both HSI and CDV.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

Japaleno

@faa.gov
reply to Johkal
So, from what I can find out, if you have HSI and voice thru comcast, you basically have to rent/lease their modem. Is this correct?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
It depends on your market. Many markets allow you to buy one specific eMTA from Best Buy ($149), but require that Comcast installs it ($49). Not really worth it, as it would take about 28 months to recover the cost. In that time, there would probably be later (better) hardware available.

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Johkal
They added the Cisco DPC3008, 8x4 D3 modem »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···=&sc=410 to the Comcast approved modem list.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I see Amazon has that modem, but it is still rather pricey. A few reviews here.

Quick search shows a lower price at macmall, so a good shopper may be able to find it at a reasonable price.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
The review link you posted is for the DPC3000,not the DPC3008. Anyway, Google shows a number of online stores selling it around $90 .