how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nylanfs

join:2012-01-13
Elkhart, IN

Router issues

I'm having problems for the past two days connecting though my Linksys WRT54G router through the ZyXEL P-660R-D1 provided by Earthlink. Note Frontier recently (within the last two years) took over the Verizon land service in my area, and we have occasionally had problems with the modem needing reset.

If I direct connect the modem to my desktop it will resolve just fine. But if I connect the modem to the router it says the DNS server isn't responding.

I have attempted to manually set the DNS servers to the ones listed in the FAQ's listed here »EarthLink DSL FAQ »What DNS servers are used with Earthlink/Mindspring ?, but since I have never had to manually set the DNS I could have not set them correctly.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Reset the Linksys and then set it up from scratch.

How to Reset the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
»technicallyeasy.net/2008/01/how-···ireless/

Then add the DNS IPs.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Nylanfs

Elkhart, IN

Thanks for the quick response, but still geting DNS server still responding.

I am reseting the modem as well. One of the FREQ's on Earthlink tell me to set it to bridge mode. Should it still be setup this way?

It's really baffling because I hadn't changed any settings to my network since the last time we had connection problems (about 3-4 months ago) and that was solved with a simple power cycle of model and router.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Nylanfs:

Thanks for the quick response, but still getting DNS server still responding.

Check the PC NIC Drivers and update them if a newer version is available.

said by Nylanfs:

I am resetting the modem as well. One of the FREQ's on Earthlink tell me to set it to bridge mode. Should it still be setup this way?

It's really baffling because I hadn't changed any settings to my network since the last time we had connection problems (about 3-4 months ago) and that was solved with a simple power cycle of model and router.

You can try that, but it should not make any difference whether the ZyXEL is Routing or Bridged.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Nylanfs

Elkhart, IN

Well just double checked my NIC drivers. I'm using the one built into the motherboard, and it is listed as a Nvidia nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, driver version 73.3.5.0 and it says that I have the latest version when I attempt to update it. I have updated the firmware on my ZyXel modem.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Reinstall the drivers on top of the existing drivers.

Nylanfs

Elkhart, IN

Problem solved. Was IP conflict on my network. Setting router to 192.168.2.1 fixed it. No idea why though since I hadn't added any to my network for quite a while.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Congrats on finding the cause and fixing it. Plus thank you for updating your thread that the cause was found and corrected.