Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Ford Escapes Are Pieces Of Crap

The second person tells me this month to stay AWAY from this car. An acquaintance of mine has a Ford Escape and says he has spent over $3,000 since he bought it 8 months ago. One thing after another breaks down and he says that he cannot buy the parts in any store, it has to be from the dealer, just like Mazda cars or Honda motorcycles.

Is there any online site that will give you a list of the top worse lemon cars? I know that the Land Rover Freelander is #1 atop the list but I want info on the other 9 models/makes on the list.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Consumer reports is what I looked at recently, the escapes actually have one of the best rating for SUV.

Without details, like mileage, age, previous maintenance history, what your friend reports is useless

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by guppy_fish:

Consumer reports is what I looked at recently, the escapes actually have one of the best rating for SUV.

Without details, like mileage, age, previous maintenance history, what your friend reports is useless

x2

I could buy the most reliable care ever built and beat the living hell out of it and then sell it to you. Do you still expect it to be the most reliable care ever built?

A guy I work with has a 2003 Escape with over 250k on it. From what he has told me he has no major problems with it. I would guess it's still reliable since he lets his wife drive it around with their young children.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Re: one specific Ford Escape is a Piece Of Crap

said by Xstar_Lumini:

The second person tells me this month to stay AWAY from this car. An acquaintance of mine has a Ford Escape and says he has spent over $3,000 since he bought it 8 months ago. One thing after another breaks down and he says that he cannot buy the parts in any store, it has to be from the dealer, just like Mazda cars or Honda motorcycles.

What did they do, look long and hard then chose the worst condition one they could buy?

»www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/
quote:
The Ford Escape was introduced in 2001, and its basic exterior and interior design remained unchanged through '07. It was initially available in XLS, XLT and XLT Sport trims that were joined by the leather-lined Limited a few years later. Ford Escapes were equipped with a rather anemic base engine – a 2.0-liter four that made 130 hp -- until '05 when it was replaced by a 2.3-liter four that made 153 hp. This first-generation Escape also offered an optional V6 that made 200 hp. Although the four-cylinder engines could have a five-speed manual, most had the optional four-speed automatic that was standard on the V6.

Considering how many of these Escapes were sold, shoppers should have plenty of opportunities to be choosy and find a used model that suits them. First-year Escapes were tarnished by numerous recall notices. Though likely resolved at this point, going with a 2002 or newer model might be a good idea. Potential buyers of this first generation of Escape should note that its interior materials were of poor quality, with cheap, hard plastics everywhere.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
Okay so I guess I can't take 2 people's experiences as the norm, I have a GM Sonoma pick-up truck and GM has a bad reputation but it's the most reliable damn vehicle I ever had, has lasted me over 8 years of brutal use.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Just 8 years for the Sonoma? It's just getting broken in! Our '91 S-Jimmy is still going strong after 20 years and 215K miles. It even had the oil changed once a year, whether it needed it or not. Always ran Mobil 1 in it. It's been flogged unmercifully yet the only major failure was a couple of broken teeth on the ring gear in the rear end.

fixrman
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Re: Ford Escapes Are Pieces Of Crap

A person such as yourself should probably buy a new vehicle in warranty, maintain it well and plan on keeping it until paid off. By the way some of the posts are made, it would seem there is no vehicle for you since nothing is perfect.

As an aside, the Freelander was a much better vehicle without the silly 2.5L V-6. When I received training on it, I knew the wet-sleeve design was problematic and it proved to be. At one point the KV-6 engines were difficult to obtain and together with all of the problems they had, Rover elected to offer a buyout to owners with engine problems and send them to the crusher if the offer was accepted by the consumer. Wise folks took the offer. Incidentally, the vehicle does well with other power plants world wide.
--
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I knew several people that had horrible experiences with a certain make & model (Chevy Blazer). I had one and had zero issues with it for 5 years.

I think a large part of it is how the vehicle is maintained by the prior owner(s).

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Xstar_Lumini
What is your technical related question regarding this Ford?

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
said by Lurch77:

What is your technical related question regarding this Ford?

If it's true that you cannot obtain parts for this vehicle besides a FORD dealership.

It's the only American SUV which I find physically attractive.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
A fast search of Autozone.com found a bunch of parts for a 2010 model that I choose. Even highly specific parts such as the wheel bearing/hub assembly and a heater core.

fixrman
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini
If that is TRULY the question being asked, then the thread title is nothing more than a Flame Bait.

The proper thread title should have been, "Are Ford Escape Parts Available after market?"

Instead, the red herring is thrown out that the vehicles are "pieces of crap" based on anecdotal "evidence" from two people, one an admitted acquaintance. Not necessarily a solid cross-section, is it?

Was there any effort or research to locate the information on your own, or would you prefer to get an analysis from a couple of guys sitting at the bar?
--
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Xstar_Lumini
According to »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape

There have been 1,773,176 Ford Escapes sold in the last 11 years .. and almost each year the sales have increased since introduction in 2000.

Its completely untrue, parts for the vehicle can only be purchased at a Ford dealer, your "friend" is clueless, both in the quality reported over the years on the vehicle and access to parts

When buying used, get as much information as possible on the maintenance and owner history ( like was it a taxi at some point or a corporate lease ) and before purchase do an carfax and full inspection by a reputable mechanic ( not your drinking buddy )

My step daughter has owned two of them and they have literally not had a single issue in over 100k miles, unfortunately the first met its demise in an at fault accident, that my step daughter walked away from even though the escape was totaled.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I'm driving my 2nd Escape (had a 2010, now a 2012). My mom drives a 2006, my dad just bought my 2010 and my brother in law has a 2008.

That's 4 of them, and none have had any work beyond maintenance.

So, since my pool of vehicles is twice as big as your friend's, the Escape is a perfect vehicle and always will be.

Or, I'm simply being facetious, and a handful of vehicles does not a statistical sample make.
Expand your moderator at work

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

...and he says that he cannot buy the parts in any store, it has to be from the dealer

You can easily check that yourself. Do you have a phone ? What about internet access ?

Checking Rockauto, I can pick from DOZENS of brake pads, a couple of oil pumps, around a dozen starters and alternators, power steering pump .... I don't think there's any need to go further.

What kind of repairs have these people experienced ? Where do they get the work done ?
Expand your moderator at work

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to Xstar_Lumini

My mom and her husband have 2 Escapes, one being a hybrid. Neither is serviced by the dealer. Then again, neither has ever needed a repair.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I dont buy any Honda motorcycle parts at the dealerships....

The bike never breaks!
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Xstar_Lumini
My sons wifes mother has a 2001 that she purchased in 2003. Since it needed a motor in 2005 with only 75000 miles on it i sure dont put much faith in them. She is just now getting ready to get another vehicle. she did say it would not be another ford product.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by rody_44:

My sons wifes mother has a 2001 that she purchased in 2003. Since it needed a motor in 2005 with only 75000 miles on it i sure dont put much faith in them.

You can see that in all vehicle makes and models. It is usually from a lack of regular oil changes (neglect) and that will shorten the life of any engine from top of the line exotics to regular econo-boxes.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rody_44
»cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-OWNER-···000f2f49

347K on this one ...

And since the new motor in 2005 , how many miles has it gone in the last 6 years?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
Actually she just traded it in. im not sure of the mileage but do know she went the entire 6 years without any issues at all. So yea it might have been a fluk, plus she did buy another one after all.