uniqs
share rss forum feed

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber

LUS Fiber ... Lafayette LA

hey ..any members live in Lafayette? Is this service available @ MDUs?

How is the service?

I had initially planned on migrating to the south side of Houston (Verizon FIOS territory) but now it seems Lafayette is the target.

Thanks in Advance.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Recent reviews of LUS Fiber are here: »User reviews - LUS Fiber

"2010 Phased build-out completed, months ahead of schedule, bringing 100% fiber optic access to all of Lafayette."

MDUs are variable. There is a form you can ask landlord or MDU manager to approve: »lusfiber.com/images/stories/lus%···3-11.pdf.

As for which MDUs allow LUS to offer fiber based services, that is harder to determine. I found some single family homes and rooms for rent that have LUS fiber services. Some college student MDUs have it. Basically you will have to contact each apartment manager of the properties you are interested in living in and ask what is allowed.

From what I have read the service overall is very good. The internet portion is said to be excellent. The television portion has some limitations, type of DVRs, compared to DirecTVs latest HR34 Whole House DVR. The phone portion works.

Now if you really want some serious internet speeds and have lots of money check out Chattanooga TN EPB Fiber »epbfi.com/. 1,000 Mbps = 1Gbps for $360/month.

The big advantage I see with LUS internet is that if you are using LUS internet and you are uploading or downloading to another user who uses LUS internet, you are automatically running at 100Mbps. This occurs no matter what the speed tier you signed up for. LUS came to the conclusion that it was pointless to speed restrict customers within the LUS network. If you go off the network to download from Chicago you go back to your speed tier. The unrestricted in network operation was seen as a way to build a technological community benefit. Very similar in concept to Google's Gigabit project in Kansas City, KS.

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
thanks for the reply. I've looked at the chattanooga fiber offerings ..and believe it or not was searching for a way to live there and still do the work I do ... just not possible unfortunately.

Seems you are correct about the MDU setup in Lafayette ... I called LUS and they said that basically anything within Lafayette city limits is eligible for the fiber ... just that any leased property must gain permission from the property management.

as far as the 100mbit inner network transfers ... I can only imagine how much money this would save business with satellite offices.

As far as dvr limitations ...would something like Tivo work on their system?

I use a boxee box ...and have about 30tb of readynas storage ... i wonder with the 100mbit on-net speeds ...if one could set up a remote drive at a different physical address. In other words ... use NAS just as you would if it was in your closet ..but across town.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to StLCardsFan
I could not find any information about Tivo working when using LUS Fiber TV at the LUS Fiber website. The TIVO website does not list LUSFiber as a partner.

The NAS remote thing would probably work, but I think you would probably have 2 accounts to pay for. One at your physical location and one at the NAS location.

I looked at the business offerings from LUSFiber. They have interesting partnerships with a growing list of cloud computing and webhosting companies located within the LUS Fiber network. The whole network opens up interesting possibilities of home offices used by employees who cannot come to the physical office location, but need to move very large CAD, engineering, and architectural files around. One reason we have not done the work from home thing is the lousy internet services, with very low upload data rates, that we have where I live. LUS Fiber sure would solve that issue.

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
I dont see any adverse issues with municipal fiber at all ...other than its huge initial cost (at least where there isn't existing fiber).

I asked about data caps also ... even the lowest tier its 2tb heh. The LUS rep said even "illegal" users have a hard time hitting the caps.

Imma try and contact Tivo and ask about LUS. If all else fails a custom media center pc should work.
Expand your moderator at work

JohnSJ

join:2004-08-14
Lafayette, LA
reply to StLCardsFan

Re: LUS Fiber ... Lafayette LA

TiVO does not work with LUS Fiber...or at least not via a CableCard setup which is what you probably would want. On the other hand I've got the service and MS MediaRoom�€”which is what runs on the provided DVRs is actually quite good. When I had Cox I used TiVo exclusively for navigation. I no longer bother, though I still own two TiVos. For Boxee and such--not problem, very clean symmetrical service.

Out of curiosity: What are you hoping to do with all our bandwidth that you're willing to move to get it?

StLCardsFan

Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber

1 edit
well... Im moved to Lafayette and am scheduled for 75x75 service installed on tuesday. If that isn't enough ... 100x100 is available and the techs tell me 1gbit may also be doable being each node is apparently gpon 2.4gbps and they also apparently have plenty of backbone from sprint to burn... i dunno for sure.

I've been putting off consulting work for exploration and development contractors for a long while due to net speeds being beyond poor.

Its been cheaper for me to send a courier to Houston twice a week ..then to actually get service fast enough to actually use for the same task. There is something wrong with that yeah?

Now in Lafayette i can use the tremendous upload speed to send files back to Houston ...or even drive there myself if necessary and not waste 2 days in the process.

I have a huge issue with ISP's charging premium rates for old world technology. The best I could do in St. Louis without spending 40,000 dollars for installation and 1200/month for the ability to get the service (plus ATT metro transmission fees and the cost of the circuit itself ... 750 for 100mbit from cogent + 2-3 dollars/mbit transmission tax from ATT = 40,000 + 1200 + 750 + 300 ... RETARDED) would be 10x10 for 219 dollars or 20x20 for almost 400 ..neither of which are near fast enough to send gigs worth of data to houston...or anywhere else for that manner. Btw ..those speeds were only going to be attainable off peak via wireless.

Overall its much cheaper to move to where the speed is.

Lastly, I would have also picked up the LUS TV, but DirecTV made an offer I couldn't refuse. They gave me free transfer of service, free upgrade to that 5 tuner DVR Media whatever and free premium channels for 6 months. I obviously like the Cardinals and DirecTV has FoxSports Midwest ..

Ill post some speedtest results from LUS on Tuesday along with their installation procedures and whatnot.