how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

[OOL] Newer Arris Touchstone model being used - TM822G

I had a tech visit just now and he swapped my Arris TM802G with the Arris TM822G.

»arristest.arris.co/products/prod···sp?id=80

»arristest.arris.co/products/_ima···m822.jpg

The TM822G seems to have come out in June 2011.

The differences I've come across between the two models:

It's lower in height by 1.2 inches from the TM802G and lighter by 0.3 pounds.

The TM822G has lower power consumption in watts: 6 (idle), 11.5 (max.) vs the TM802G with 9 (idle), 12.5 (max.)

The Arris TM822G has PacketCable ® 2.0 support with a
firmware upgrade vs the TM802G being PacketCable ® 2.0 BASIC compliant.

The Arris TM822G has two independent 96MHz wide RF tuners to receive downstream channels up to 1GHz vs The TM802G having two 48Mhz wide RF tuners up to 1GHz. (Will make a difference in bandwidth allocation/speed)

As a result, the max Download Data Rate (Theoretical) for the TM822G is 343 Mbps vs the TM802G's 320 Mbps.

The TM822G also has a MoCA® Immunity Filter that I'm assuming prevents interference to the cable system and the cable modem from MoCA signals if one has a MoCA device or has a MoCA network setup in their home.

Also had an higher firmware build than the TM802G which was back from December 2010.

Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: TS0703123_090611_MODEL_7_8
Firmware Build Time: Tue Sep 6 18:01:19 EDT 2011

Plus IPv6 being shown in the CM State section.

DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:
IPv4 Attempt(s) 1
IPv6 Attempt(s) 0

Plus with this newer firmware...one gets this when going to the Advanced tab: 'NET-DK/1.0 Error: 401 Unauthorized'

One doesn't get the password screen any longer.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

Wonder if the walk-in centers have this. Too bad you can't call them up to find out first before bringing in the old modem to swap.
--

Trying is the first step towards failure.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
reply to kickass69

Did the tech resolve the issue you were having? How are your speeds?

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08
reply to kickass69

it's still up to 8 bonded, so it must be support 12Mhz channel? 12x8=96, right?
--

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I believe that they both can bond 8 channels. The max download rates are relatively the same. I believe the 96MHz refers to where in the spectrum the channels can be located. If one channel were at 6xx MHz the other bonded channels for that radio would need to be within the 96MHz range.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to jaa

Had to do with latency/ping issues popping up initially at night on and off since Christmas week. Things seem good for now.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to TheWiseGuy

Yes, it's still a 8 downstream channel/4 upstream channel DOCSIS 3 modem. It says that in the first link I gave under Features. Would be backwards if a newer model went back to a 4x4 channel config.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I should have said 8 channels that are 6MHz wide. The question was the width of the channels

he Arris TM822G has two independent 96MHz wide RF tuners to receive downstream channels up to 1GHz vs The TM802G having two 48Mhz wide RF tuners up to 1GHz. (Will make a difference in bandwidth allocation/speed)

This is the part being discussed.The 96 MHz refers to the location of the channel, as explained in my previous post.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I gotta wonder how much better bandwidth/speed is ultimately going to be using 96MHz wide tuners in our situation with CV. Then again we prolly have to wait until there's high penetration of modems like this that utilize wider frequency tuners.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to kickass69

My firm just got a TM-802G two weeks ago. We still have an SBV5322 for three voice lines but the internet is now served through the TM-802G. I am not sure why the wanted to remove the SBV5322's internet service as it was working fine. It is kind of odd to have two modems sitting on the rack. I suppose if Arris had a three or four line phone port modem then we would not need the SBV5322 any longer.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

In this case the TM822G is still a 2 line modem. Besides having the internet service go through the Arris DOCSIS 3 modem is an improvement over having it through the Motorola DOCSIS 2 modem.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69

I just got one of those myself.

Curiously, I'm now bonded on 5 channels.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Feels faster than the TM802G doesn't it?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ

I had a moto, but it does feel snappier.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

How did you end up getting yours? As I mentioned in the beginning I got mine through a tech call.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

I just got one of those myself.

Curiously, I'm now bonded on 5 channels.

said by tmpchaos:

I had a moto, but it does feel snappier.

Since the SBV6222 only supports 4 channels, that's why it went to 5 after you got the Arris.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
reply to kickass69

I switched over to BOOL and voice. The tech did mention that they're replacing the motos- but I don't know if that's only for business.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

In general, whenever you open a new account they will just give new equipment. It is just much easier to provision a new modem than to wait the 5-10 minutes for it to come off of the old account, and then chance it still giving problems with the provisioning where they need to call back and have someone do it. And unless it changed recently, the self-install move from one account to another is only residential to residential.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy:

I believe that they both can bond 8 channels. The max download rates are relatively the same. I believe the 96MHz refers to where in the spectrum the channels can be located. If one channel were at 6xx MHz the other bonded channels for that radio would need to be within the 96MHz range.

New modems are reaching product cycles like new wireless APs/routers at Best Buy: there's a new Cisco Linksys model in the shelf every 3 months In reality, we seem to be down to product cycles in the 18 month range now (what used to be more like 3-4 years), with new products constantly having reduced part count, lower power consumption, and lower cost: the cable modem landscape (chipsets) is evolving quickly these days.

Multiple tuners only add a little more plant flexibility for an operator, but the true use of that remains to be seen, as backwards compatibility with older equipment is tantamount.

And no, Mayuyu: silly - there's no 12 MHz-wide TV channels anywhere in the world. It's only 6 or 8 MHz (EURO-DOCSIS for the latter, in EU and JP). Just a google search away, you know!

First-gen D3 hardware (4x4 bonding) had single tuners with 60-96Mhz capture bands. That's edge-to-edge, btw., and was quite enough, as operators just had to ensure that four 6-MHz channels (24MHz) fit somewhere into the capture band.

With 8 channel bonding, we're already at 64 MHz required capture band, and that's with all channels stacked back-to-back: not realistic in any systems I've ever seen.

Take OOL for example: 603, 609, 615, 621, 627 and 687 MHz are being used: they do not use 603 in areas where 687 MHz is used for OOL (Brooklyn, according to posts here).

That creates an edge-to-edge capture requirement from 606 (3 MHz below 609, which occupies 606.0 to 612.0 Mhz) to 690 (687 + 3 MHz) MHz - 84 MHz total.

That's too far apart for some first-gen D3 single-tuner designs, but perfectly fine for dual 48 MHz tuners.

I don't think anyone here has posted a bonded channel screenshot showing 687 MHz as part of their bonding group - and the above is likely the reason why.

This under-the-hood improvement in hardware design does not affect performance to the customer, it just enables better plant/network management.

The vastly reduced power consumption on the other hand, should make a very noticeable impact on battery hold time, and that surely does impact the consumer: 8 hrs of battery life should be within reach, given those numbers.

8 vs 4-channel bonding:
Whether you get 5 DS channels or 4 or 3, it's more about managing area-specific demand at this point - and even 4x4 modems will benefit when there's more than 4 channels available: they'll get different *combinations* of the 5 (or more future) DS channels available, and hence spread out with different overlap, just like DOCSIS2.0 modems are now spread out across various (all?) DS channels in some upgraded areas.