All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mwangen
join:2006-10-26
Beaverton, OR

mwangen

[TV] Frontier not killling FiOS TV afterall?

I received a flier from Frontier this week advertising triple play including (gulp) FiOS TV. The flier said nothing about the TV portion being Direct TV or anything. Did Frontier correct course and is now keeping FiOS TV? I take it this means they dropped their ridiculous $500 installation charge?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

»www.frontierpacificnw.com/fios/

Well as long as you already have existing equipment, or are a new customer signing up for the triple you can avoid it. Tv customers are the most fickle, and might switch for a possible temporary discount.

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm to mwangen

Premium Member

to mwangen
A coworker who moved into a newly built apartment (meaning no ONT) in Redmond told me she was proactively offered a FiOS TV and Internet bundle by the call center rep when she called just for Internet. According to her, the rep told her there's no installation fee, only a $49 "activation fee."

At this point, I have just two wishes if they're going to keep it around: 1) Ditch the damn copy-once flag on all the channels but, based on what little I know about Verizon's system, this possibly isn't a choice Frontier can make; 2) Go back to stocking set top boxes at the local stores. It shouldn't require a week-long drop ship to get me an HD box so I can buy pay per view events.

cityslicker
@frontiernet.net

cityslicker

Anon

My triple play expires in March. Wondering what kind of deal I will get if I "re-up" a triple bundle with Fios TV, internet, and phone again.
chevelleman
join:2009-05-15
Troutdale, OR

chevelleman to mwangen

to mwangen
I've noticed their playing radio ads now advertising the Triple play with FiOS TV and no instillation fee. I'm shocked. I totally expected them to start closing shop on FiOS TV by now.
mrken30
join:2010-06-29
Hillsboro, OR

mrken30

I got a mailing (Oregon) saying that Frontier are now selling FIOS TV again, I wonder if this is just a ploy to get some customers back. CS told me they were switching over to Dish from Direct TV in April. Seems to be some conflicting information.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69

said by mrken30:

I got a mailing (Oregon) saying that Frontier are now selling FIOS TV again, I wonder if this is just a ploy to get some customers back. CS told me they were switching over to Dish from Direct TV in April. Seems to be some conflicting information.

Problem is, the damage has been done. Comcast used this against Frontier and then Frontier sold DirecTV to customers who are more than likely not wanting to switch again.

What a backward looking company, not thinking for the future as well.

wesm
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

said by rifleman69:

Problem is, the damage has been done. Comcast used this against Frontier and then Frontier sold DirecTV to customers who are more than likely not wanting to switch again.

I think you're overestimating the memory of a potential customer who is seeking a deal. DISH Network has been whacking people for years with crappy customer service, dropping channels, and horrible installers (wait, did I mean DirecTV? Comcast?). People still sign up on a daily basis to get promo deals. If Frontier wanted to be aggressive--no indication they want to, however--they could challenge Comcast and previous advertising won't really matter if "the price is right."

OK, Frontier, want to actually be committed to FiOS TV? Great, start stocking STBs at the local stores for pickup and let me manage my TV service online.
rifleman69
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69

said by wesm:

said by rifleman69:

I think you're overestimating the memory of a potential customer who is seeking a deal. DISH Network has been whacking people for years with crappy customer service, dropping channels, and horrible installers (wait, did I mean DirecTV? Comcast?). People still sign up on a daily basis to get promo deals. If Frontier wanted to be aggressive--no indication they want to, however--they could challenge Comcast and previous advertising won't really matter if "the price is right."

OK, Frontier, want to actually be committed to FiOS TV? Great, start stocking STBs at the local stores for pickup and let me manage my TV service online.

But they've already pushed off previous Frontier TV customers to DirecTV, sure if those people wanted to still have a bundled package that's one thing but they've already kicked those people off Frontier once...who's to say that they won't do it again? Don't get me wrong, the product is head and shoulders above Comcast's offering but why the sudden change of heart?

wesm
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

said by rifleman69:

But they've already pushed off previous Frontier TV customers to DirecTV, sure if those people wanted to still have a bundled package that's one thing but they've already kicked those people off Frontier once...who's to say that they won't do it again? Don't get me wrong, the product is head and shoulders above Comcast's offering but why the sudden change of heart?

I agree; winning back that business, if it's possible, is going to be difficult. That said, there's still plenty of customers who have never had Frontier TV so they might be willing to switch if Frontier actually markets the service and puts some effort into it.

Why the change of heart? According to a (very personable and seemingly competent) CSR I was talking to yesterday in their Everett office, Frontier decided that not having a triple-play offering wasn't worth it and that there's plenty of people who can't get DirecTV, so they're going to use the equipment they have an investment in. Maybe's right, maybe not. It's possible back-end contracts with Verizon or franchise agreements with the cities they didn't opt-out of would be too expensive to break, so Frontier figures they can market it again and cover the cost.

At any rate, I'm pleased with any option that's not-Comcast.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1 to mwangen

to mwangen
When FIOS TV came to Fort Wayne in 2007, we jumped at the chance to leave Comcast and their eratic service and equipment.

Things were better than ever, untill Frontier acquired our FIOS operation. Then, prices went up as stories about them exiting the FIOS TV business swirled about. Comcast sent out letters and put up billboards predicting the end of FIOS TV in Fort Wayne.

But, we thought we couldn't get satellite TV, untill the power company cut down one of our large trees. So, when we heard that Frontier was offering a good deal on DirecTV, we contacted them and got it.

It took some getting used to, but we get most of the channels we got with FIOS, and many we didn't. We also get Youtube, which has tons of videos plus tv shows and movies, and looks great on our 50 in. flatscreen TV

And, with the Playon software on our computer, we can get HULU, TV.com, CBS.com, Netflix and much more, on our big TV- without another box/gadget connected to the TV.

And, since our satellite box had an antenna connector, we hooked up a small indoor HD antenna. Now, all our OTA channels, and subchannels (18) are intergrated into the guide. We've been watching local weather radar and recording classic shows from Antenna TV and TCT, which we couldn't do before.

And, the new upgraded IMG is the best I've yet seen, everything's faster and easier to access. The DVR has for more recording space than we've ever had before. It even records OTA.

There are a few drawbacks (you have to download On Demand content from the web before watching it), but they are becoming less and less important.

If I could have FIOS TV the way it was with VZ, believe me, I would. But, since Comcast hasn't improved much in our area, DirecTV seems to be the best option available.

And, they can't make us switch to the inferior Dish TV, can they?
millerzone
join:2004-10-15
Kirkland, WA

millerzone to mwangen

to mwangen
I just saw a nicely done TV commercial touting the same triple play and very much focused on FiOS TV (e.g. "pure fiber optics" etc.).

I also have been assuming that the nanosecond the 2 year clock ran out after the acquisition, it would be lights out for FiOS TV. So needless to say I am quite surprised by this recent advertising activity around FiOS TV.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I'm hoping that means Frontier woke up and realized the reason Verizon runs TV alongside with FiOS. That's where the money is for them. If they can figure it out and do it right, I certainly hope it will raise confidence in them maintaining a Fiber to the Home Product. With that being said, I hope it goes well enough to the point where Frontier would start considering Fiber to the Home in places like Rochester, NY.
rifleman69
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to Mark F1

to Mark F1
said by Mark F1:

And, they can't make us switch to the inferior Dish TV, can they?

They will if you want to keep the bundle once your commitment is up.