uniqs
share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Rook008

Re: [Sci-Fi] Walking Dead, Season 3 news!

said by Rook008:

A Rick-tatorship wouldn't be a good thing for a country, but for a small group of people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse, a level-headed Rick may be just what they need.

Also, they could use some better writers.

Perhaps, but who is to say he is or will remain level headed,….? Also once you’ve handed over power to someone how do you take it back if they start to lose their mind due to the stress,……?

History is full of examples of why one person shouldn’t have absolute power and or blind followers. However as a quote I rather like the lyrics of the Megadeath song “Symphony of Destruction”:

quote:
You take a mortal man, and put him in control. Watch him become a god, watch peoples heads a'roll

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to lotusracer
Lori is such a dumb bitch, she needs to die PRONTO!

Reno7
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX
said by TigerLord:

Lori is such a dumb bitch, she needs to die PRONTO!

I didn't like the actress from Prison Break either. There's something annoying about her like she has a 'annoying and almost always angry' witch vibe radiating from her.

I can't for the life of me figure out how she could go from the evil depths of manipulating Rick into doing something one day and then freak out like he's the monster when he actually does what she tried to manipulate him into doing.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
Good point, but Rick does seem to be the natural choice for a leader in that situation. Or at least, he's the best they have. He's good with a gun, has some experience in dealing with people, and he has a family to protect, which should limit the risk-taking.

And it's pretty easy to get rid of someone during a zombie apocalypse.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to TigerLord
I'd like to see Lori, Carol, and Carl get zombified sometime soon.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to lotusracer
Finally got to see the last two episodes. I had avoided this thread until I could see them. And I have to agree with everyone. Why can't they keep carl penned up? In the second to last episode they all lock themselves in the house but carl gets out and finds his dad? WTF?
glad shane died. his whole hating rick shit was getting old.

As for the last episode, are these people just plain stupid? Why r they just driving around like maniacs shooting. I can see driving, shooting then driving to a safe distance, shooting again and rinse and repeat.
So all the zombies followed a helicopter that they only saw for a minute? Hell just get a helicopter to fly over the zombies and then fly out over the ocean.
Lori is schizo. One day she hates shane, the next she tries to be friends, then gets mad at rick when he kills shane when shane was gonna kill rick?
And whats her name, sophia's mom dissing rick when he has done so much in trying to find sophia.
No plans to meet up if the farm was attacked?
Why not leave is too many zombies and come back in a couple of days? they probably would have left by then.

My biggest issue with the show is everyone keeps changing how they feel. Almost like they had two sets of writers that had different views on how each person should feel and then alternated on the episodes.

But I will be watching in the fall.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Oh one more thing. Why is it all their vehicles are old? Why didn't they get newer trucks during their whole time at teh farm? Also surprised they never tried to fortify the vehicles (bars on the windows or something).
Also darryl's motorcycle is loud. Wouldn't that likely attract walkers versus a quieter vehicle?
When they first came across the farm, they seemed to use horses a lot, now they never do.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Rook008
People are in one way or another calling for the heads of the characters they don’t much care for such as Lori and (get in the damn house A.K.A) “Carl”. However, what would such a loss do to someone like Rick who probably consider them the only thing worth living for?

Also note, if it hasn’t been said outright (although I think it has) regardless of Rick’s ethical views he’s going to put the safety of “Lori” and (god damn it, I told you to get in the house A.K.A) “Carl” as well as his unborn childe above that of anyone else.

So anyone else in the group is third at best and they should know it. Prioritizing is pragmatic and no one wants to be low man on the totem pole especially when the fit hits the shan.

said by Rook008:

And it's pretty easy to get rid of someone during a zombie apocalypse.

Fair enough but it sounds like you just want to shoot Rick if he starts acting the lest bit odd (Shane like?). The simple answer to such a problem is to have more then one person in charge or at least some sort of a contingency.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
I'm not sure who I'd like gone more, Carl or Lori, but I agree that they are pretty much the only reason Rick has to live. I do think one of them has to go though so that the other two can get on the same level of the rest of the group with the suffering.

Maybe the 4th episode from the last where Lori and Andrea are conversing in the kitchen and Andrea calls Lori out, I have to side with Andrea. While the world has gone to crap, Rick and his family are doing pretty good considering the circumstances.

...atleast thats what I think...
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Yeah, I suspect that’s part of the reason the writers wanted Carl to be injured via gunshot. They wanted to create the illusion that Rick and his family have been grievously injured without having to commit long-term via losing a key character (or rather losing a character key to Rick). Push comes to shove, Rick Grimes and his family haven’t suffered to the same degree that many of the other characters have.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
at least not yet, or maybe never.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Rook008
Yeah, the whole half season could have been done in about 20 minutes. There was no need for the other things as it was irrelevant. Only the last 2 episodes were important.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to Grimm
said by Grimm:

I'm not sure who I'd like gone more, Carl or Lori

Both. Please.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
As annoying as he is, I think Carl is actually important at this point. Carl serves the purpose of letting us observer an individual old enough to remember the old world but still young enough to have an undeveloped mind maturing to adulthood in the holocaust that the world has become.

The writers could have Lori lose the baby but that is a bit of a copout. If they get rid of Lori the do the same for the unborn child. Not sure which way they will go as the show doesn’t necessarily follow the book.

Something’s got to give though.

I’d keep Carl around because he could become a mini-Rick or he could become a monster (mentally ill psychopath). Potentially much more interesting the Lori and the baby.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to lotusracer
»www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/w···eo-41086

There's a video at the end of the article that might be worth viewing (my iPad won't load it no matter what I do...)

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to lotusracer
AMC may not be available for Dish network subscribers. They've already pulled the Sundance chann.

»www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/dich···s-dropp/

»www.deadline.com/2012/05/will-di···etworks/
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I agree with Dish though. AMC programs are available through other sources like Hulu, Netflix, etc.
I'm currently watching the 15 episodes I had DVRed of this seasons fringe. So much better then trying to watch it a few days after it aired, then trying to retain what you saw over a 2 to 6 week programming gap due to sports or awards show.

The networks should really pay attention to how putting gaps in their programming really hurts the shows. IMO, they should do what Sy-Fy, USA do. Air the show twice the same day, or re-air them as a "marathon" during saturday when they have no programming on at all.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to lotusracer
Some fun stuff coming up:

AMC is devoting the weekend of July 7-8 to a "Walking Dead" marathon that will include a special black-and-white version of the series pilot, created for fans of "The Walking Dead" comic book.

The marathon, a week before Comic-Con in San Diego, begins at 11:30 a.m. each day and includes all 19 episodes of the zombie drama's first two seasons. It will also include a special primetime episode of the series' aftershow, the Chris Hardwick-hosted "Talking Dead," and a look at the upcoming third season of "The Walking Dead."

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
This is good to hear.

I have all the episodes recorded in HD but I have been meaning to slap together that new CableCard system. A 19 hr Walking Dead marathon might be the perfect way to break it in,…..once I get it up and running,….

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to lotusracer
The Walking Dead Season 3 Production Photos

There are only three in the link consisting of:

Michonne (Danai Gurira)

Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln)

The Governor (David Morrissey)

marco
Premium
join:2001-09-14

1 edit
reply to lotusracer
ha, so true

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by marco:

Prometheus had a lot of nice subtlety that clearly went over a lot of viewer's heads. Because of that, the movie was brought up a notch for me. However, that didn't save it. Outside of David and Shaw, the movie really took a hit with the bad characters and their decisions...some genuinely stupid shit in there.
Charlize Theron is hot though.

wrong thread me thinks.
--

join:2012-06-18
united kingd
reply to lotusracer
i am a big fan of this TV show that i really make it a point to catch the episode every airing time although sometimes when i am really busy i try to catch up by streaming online, surely adding more episodes to the series is a great news for me as i know that they can make a better story line and develop the characters well enough before the season ends. i do hope that the story will really be as great as expected

UnknownFact
Premium
join:2004-02-08
reply to lotusracer
I was bored last night, ok really bored! So I watched The Mist and was surprised to see quite a few of the Walking Dead cast. Laurie Holden(Andrea), Jeffrey DeMunn(Dale), and Melissa McBride(Carol). Laurie and Melissa looked exactly the same while it took me a bit to recognize Jeffrey. Just found it interesting in a meh movie.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to lotusracer
It looks like Merle Dixon (Michael Rooker) [spoiler] is back in Season 3 as they just added a picture in the link above. I think he would have made a good Governor but it looks like they are going in a different direction with it. I‘ll bet Merle Dixon has something to do with Rick’s upcoming,…….“injury”.

Sniper3142
Slapsho3142

join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA
reply to lotusracer
I'm also wondering when they'll discuss WTF happened to every single Semi Automatic Rifle on the planet.

Because I have yet to see a single one in the show. All they seem to have is shotguns, bolt action, lever action, and pump action rifles.

And TEN good guys armed with AR15s, AK47s, FN FALs, or damn near ANY modern semi-automatic rifle would have put a quick end to this "Zombie" situation!

Heck, even a Ruger 10/22 would have easily thinned the herd.

Of course, it would have been a darn short show.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Actually I suspect that we will see more advanced small arms in season three but keep in mind that such weapons still have their fair share of shortcomings. Even crew serve weapons would be more effective but require training to be effective. Keep in mind that most typical military and police training consists of center of mass targeting not cold headshots necessary to stop zombies.

They can do much more damage with automatic weapons but its still likely better to run then to go up against a sizable herd or possibly hide while they pass.

Recoil would be big problem to when going full auto especially for that kind of targeting. Ammo, magazine size, and so on,… best not to over think it,…

Generally speaking though, good combat engineer techniques such as landmines might help too if they don’t attract more zombies then they neutralize,…and I’m not talking toe-poppers either but something more akin to a bouncing betty.

Sniper3142
Slapsho3142

join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA
Actually you are wrong.

Most military and law enforcement personel are trained to shoot to stop the threat. If that requires center mass, then that is what is aimed at. If the target is wearing body armor (or happens to be one of the undead), the a head shot is used. Most folks can be taught to hit whatever is needed to stop the threat.

And ONE good person with an AR15, and a few hundred rounds (held in 6 to 20 30 round magazines) would have been able to protect the farm that was overrun.

Single fire with a low powered optics (Acog, 1-4x scope) from a good position is all that is needed. You can hit targets out to several hundred yards or at point blank range. Spray & pray (full auto) is not the answer, precision is.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
said by Sniper3142:

Actually you are wrong.

Most military and law enforcement personel are trained to shoot to stop the threat. If that requires center mass, then that is what is aimed at. If the target is wearing body armor (or happens to be one of the undead), the a head shot is used. Most folks can be taught to hit whatever is needed to stop the threat.

My US military training was center of mass of the presented target. All paper silhouette targets were designed with a center of mass bull’s-eye (not that you would see it on the range while firing but it suggests the intent). Pop up targets had no bulls-eye but if the presented target were just a head or a head + torso it made no difference because center of mass was used. This is what we trained for and this is what was expected of us. The mantra was “one shot, one kill”.

Its not easy to fight ones training. The whole point of training is to make something such as this second nature so you don’t have to even think about it, you just do it. So it would take some adjustment for many (not necessarily all) to change.

said by Sniper3142:

And ONE good person with an AR15, and a few hundred rounds (held in 6 to 20 30 round magazines) would have been able to protect the farm that was overrun.

Ummm, sure why not. As long as it doesn’t double stack or otherwise jam requiring sports.

6 to 20, 30 round magazines would be a maximum of 600 rounds, what happens if that one person is up against a herd of thousands,….?

said by Sniper3142:

Single fire with a low powered optics (Acog, 1-4x scope) from a good position is all that is needed. You can hit targets out to several hundred yards or at point blank range. Spray & pray (full auto) is not the answer, precision is.

I already stated that full auto would be problematic with this kind of targeting.