how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-20

Westell 7500 to replace current DSL modem???

Greeting!

My son and I have DSL through the local phone company. We are using a BEC modem/router that does not have wireless capability.

Last night my son came home from his aunts, and they had gone to the local Goodwill where he picked up a Westell 7500 modem with wireless for $2.00.

Is it just trial and error weather this will work with my local DSL subscription? I know how to set up my BEC, but this Westell is much different as far as inputting all the proper settings.

Also, would it be worth it to maybe set it up as a switch, and use it with my current modem? We just want the wireless feature. I know when setting up a switch you have to turn off the DHCP functions. Does this render the wireless feature of the modem useless?

Thanks for any help!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by Keizer:

Also, would it be worth it to maybe set it up as a switch, and use it with my current modem?

Right now I'll say this is your best option
said by Keizer:

We just want the wireless feature. I know when setting up a switch you have to turn off the DHCP functions. Does this render the wireless feature of the modem useless?

Doing this will not stop the wireless from working

In addition to disabling the 7500 dhcp server you should also change it's lan ip address to a unique ip within the ip address space of the bec modem/router like 192.168.1.253

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

Thank you very much for the reply wayjac! I will try the switch route!

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM
reply to Keizer

Wow this 7500 is stubborn! When I reset the unit, it has a 1.0.0.1 IP address, and a century link profile. I can't change this for the life of me. I have tried and tried different things to change it, but had to keep resetting it because it would stop responding when I would try and input my own info.

What exactly do I need to do, and under which headings?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

I need to know what the gui looks like....
/r0/download/1716319~9a60b4c867bc9cf56f9e48d48fa76749/westell.jpg

/r0/download/1708389~75048a0d01211beb66f9b11e31bcba45/LAN.jpg
then I can post what needs to be done

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

It's the lower blue GUI.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Keizer

Ok....is 192.168.1.254 the ip address of the bec modem/router

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

said by wayjac:

Ok....is 192.168.1.254 the ip address of the bec modem/router

Yes sir

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Ok....Connect the westell to a computer and go to the westell private lan page
Remove the check mark from the private lan dhcp server check box
Change the modem ip address to 192.168.1.253
Click the save button
Connect a westell lan port to a bec modem/router lan port
Reboot the computer or release and renew the computers ip address, after the reboot you'll be able to access the modems gui and the westell gui......

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

1 edit

said by wayjac:

Ok....Connect the westell to a computer and go to the westell private lan page
Remove the check mark from the private lan dhcp server check box
Change the modem ip address to 192.168.1.253
Click the save button
Connect a westell lan port to a bec modem/router lan port
Reboot the computer or release and renew the computers ip address, after the reboot you'll be able to access the modems gui and the westell gui......

Thanks for the reply!

That's actually one of the things I tried earlier today. When I click on the save button, the browser page goes blank, and the Firefox throbber spins and spins, and nothing happens. At the bottom of my browser, it says "waiting for 10.0.0.1" Afterward, I can't access the GUI again until after I do a reset.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Keizer:

When I click on the save button, the browser page goes blank, and the Firefox throbber spins and spins, and nothing happens. At the bottom of my browser, it says "waiting for 10.0.0.1"

That's normal when you connected the westell to your computer, your computer was given a 10.0.0. ip address by the westell dhcp server
When you changed the westell ip address your computer cannot access the westell because it's ip address 192.168.1 is different but your computer still has a 10.0.0. ip address

If you will follow the rest of the instructions the bec modem/router will give the computer a 192.168.1 ip address and you'll be able to access the modems gui and the westell gui......

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

said by wayjac:

said by Keizer:

When I click on the save button, the browser page goes blank, and the Firefox throbber spins and spins, and nothing happens. At the bottom of my browser, it says "waiting for 10.0.0.1"

That's normal when you connected the westell to your computer, your computer was given a 10.0.0. ip address by the westell dhcp server
When you changed the westell ip address your computer cannot access the westell because it's ip address 192.168.1 is different but your computer still has a 10.0.0. ip address

If you will follow the rest of the instructions the bec modem/router will give the computer a 192.168.1 ip address and you'll be able to access the modems gui and the westell gui......

Woops! My bad, let me try again.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

Ok, we now have wireless! Wayjac, thank you for your patience, and informational help with this.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Ok....Can you post a picture of any of the westell gui pages

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

said by wayjac:

Ok....Can you post a picture of any of the westell gui pages

Sure......give a few minutes. Anything specific??