Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to mmay149q

Re: I got a $1

Why gold? Why not peg the dollar to another commodity like oil, corn, soybeans or pork bellies? Everyone loves bacon, I'm thinking pork bellies would be the ideal choice.

Now think long and hard before you throw at me a Glen Beck reason as to why it needs to be backed by gold, and ponder this: If you back your dollar with gold, what happens to the value of your money when someone discovers 20 billion dollars worth of gold? 50 billion dollars? A trillion dollars? How about someone just *announces* they found that volume of gold; what happens?

What happens to the value of your money when they can't find any more gold?

Get the idea? Gold isn't stable, except atomically. Someone in gold rich countries can affect the dollar if it is backed by gold. Not wise.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

4 edits
said by desarollo:

Why gold? Why not peg the dollar to another commodity like oil, corn, soybeans or pork bellies? Everyone loves bacon, I'm thinking pork bellies would be the ideal choice.

Now think long and hard before you throw at me a Glen Beck reason as to why it needs to be backed by gold, and ponder this: If you back your dollar with gold, what happens to the value of your money when someone discovers 20 billion dollars worth of gold? 50 billion dollars? A trillion dollars? How about someone just *announces* they found that volume of gold; what happens?

What happens to the value of your money when they can't find any more gold?

Get the idea? Gold isn't stable, except atomically. Someone in gold rich countries can affect the dollar if it is backed by gold. Not wise.

Are you suggesting that an extremely unlikely mass find of 50 billion dollars of gold is more unsettling than printing 4 trillion dollars?

Seriously?

You obviously didn't think this through.