Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

redpepper

join:2009-09-05
reply to Gork

Re: "GVJack App" Converts MJ Dongles To Google Voice

The answer to both questions is yes.

It supports use of the Gmail / Google Voice built in contacts facility for looking up the caller name (and for placing calls). If the caller name cannot be found an online reverse number look up is attempted.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

So far this sounds very well thought out. I'm very excited to give it a spin next month!

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

join:2002-11-14

looking forward to this!

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
reply to redpepper

I see a GVJack App forum has been added to the board at »www.pcphonesoft.com/pcphonesoft/forum. The forum is basically empty, though, but shows "2/15/12 Release 1.00 Ready". But I can't find a download for it. I'm guessing they're just putting on the finishing touches and/or readying the web site.

redpepper

1 edit

The "GVJack" App will be available by the close of business tomorrow (Friday) for download. We are putting finishing touches on the website changes.

To place calls all you need to do is install the "GVJack" App, plug a regular MJ dongle into a USB port on your computer and then sign in using any Gmail e-mail account you want to use. It does not matter if the MJ dongle was previously registered to somebody else or if the subscription on it has expired.

The minimum suggested computer configuration is Windows XP(SP2)/Vista/7 with a 1.5Ghz CPU and 2 Gig RAM. That just happens to be the exact spec of the particular legacy computer we tested against and the performance has been fine. After the initial product launch period is over, we plan to test against and possibly provide product support for lesser computer configurations.

redpepper

1 edit
reply to redpepper

The "GVJack" App is now ready to download at »www.pcphonesoft.com .

The full version is free to try for up to 7 days to see if it meets your expectations prior to purchase.

It is being offered at a 30% discount (using coupon code GVJACKAPP at checkout) for $13.97 through the end of this month.

For a quick snapshot overview visit »www.pcphonesoft.com/gvjackappdetails.html

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

1 edit
reply to redpepper

I was hoping someone might have posted who had a chance to install it. I'm at work, not in a position to install it, but will do so as soon as I can and post back.

Perhaps I shouldn't say anything at this point, since I haven't even tried it out and don't know exactly how it works beyond what I've read, but I have an idea that might be fun to implement if it's not been. I once had an answering machine I could program with an "emergency code." I could leave the phone ringer off, turn the volume down on the answering machine and give "important people" the emergency code. If anyone called I'd never hear the phone ring and wouldn't know they even called until I saw a message on the answering machine. BUT, if someone entered this code in after the answering machine picked up, it would sound an alarm letting me know an "important person" is calling, or a person with an emergency.

I think it would be a neat idea, if even possible, to be able to put the GVJack App on "do not disturb," meaning the phone won't even ring if people call, but if they put in a programmable code the phone would ring through anyway. I can't figure how this would even be POSSIBLE unless GV implemented it from their end, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case the idea interested you guys and it actually is feasible.

redpepper

reply to redpepper

Here's a simple way to meet the same basic underlying need using the "GVJack" App without using an external answering machine.

1. Open the "Features Dashboard" and include all the important numbers in the Priority Calls table. When calls arrive from any of those numbers you will hear British style ringing when the phone rings.

2. Enable the Priority Calls Only feature in the "Features Dashboard". All calls that are NOT included in the Priority Calls table will be routed to voice mail and any important calls will make it through and your phone will ring as described above.

3. Whenever you have voice mail, the little voice mail waiting light on your phone will come on (if it has one). You will also hear stutter dialtone when you go offhook. Just dial *98 on your phone to listen to your voice mail messages or select "Voice Mail" from the "GVJack" App traybar icon menu and listen to them online.

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

join:2002-11-14

love this thread!

redpepper

Based on user requests that are coming in we will be adding support for MJ+ dongles (when they are plugged into a USB port on a computer) to the "GVJack" App in a new downloadable update by the end of next week.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

2 edits
reply to redpepper

said by redpepper:

Here's a simple way to meet the same basic underlying need using the "GVJack" App without using an external answering machine.

I've thought about this as opposed to what I described, but it just doesn't quite fit the bill. (And I can't find an a/m which works this way anymore, and a/m don't work with GV anyway.) The problem with this solution is that the phone will still ring if someone on the list calls and doesn't have an important call.

Here's where I'm coming from. I work graves, so sleep during the day. Since NOBODY TRULY GETS IT, not even family and friends, I turn my ringers off when I sleep. If I didn't I'd never get any sleep. BUT, when there's an emergency, such as when my grandpa was dying, nobody can get through to me. I'd love for my grandma, for instance, to be able to call, on a daily basis, whenever she wanted and leave me a mesasge without it disturbing me if I'm asleep. But I'd like for her to be able to RING THROUGH in an emergency situation.

said by redpepper:

Based on user requests that are coming in we will be adding support for MJ+ dongles

Nice! It amazes me that people are ALREADY excited to LEAVE the MJ+, which just barely came out. Ok, maybe amazes isnt' the right word. Maybe "doesn't surprise" would have been a better phrase.

redpepper

This is where the additional built in features of Google Voice come in handy.

Sign up for an additional Google Voice number and under the call settings set the Caller ID (incoming) to "Display my Google Voice number". It is normally set to "Display Caller's Number".

That will be the special emergency number you let get through by putting it in the Priority Call table with the Priority Calls Only option also on. Whoever uses this special emergency number to call you will get through.

You can turn the Priority Calls Only feature on and off from your phone handset by dialing *64/*84.

Anyway this is the closest thing possible to what you are describing that we can put together using the technology available.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

K, that's what I was afraid of. I was thinking that it would have to be something on the GV side of things but I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as you guys with regard to this stuff. Thanks for the additional idea. The only problem is that if telemarketers or whatever get a hold of that number they'd be sent through as well. I don't really understand why that "feature" of the old answering machine went by the by with time. I mean, it's a great feature and not one you can really get anymore.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

3 edits
reply to redpepper

I forgot to ask another question I had. I notice on the installation instructions it indicates you have to check the "stay signed in" box on the GV web site. But I've noticed, from time to time, that even though I ALWAYS use "say signed in" it logs you off - presumably when they upgrade the site, or perhaps for security reasons they just do this after so many days/months being signed in. When this happens, will GVJack automatically connect again? Or is this going to force the user to get to the computer and log back into GV?

I just barely installed this app and am trying to familiarize myself with it. I see it installs Google Chromium? What is this - a dumbed-down version of Google Chrome? Too bad that was a necessity. Anyway, when I click on the GVJack app and choose an option which opens the Google browser, the resulting window opens in "full screen mode." Is it possible to change this? I don't browse in full screen mode - my resolution is far too high for that. And when the browser opens in full screen mode it completely covers up anything else I'm doing - it's a bit of a nuisance. And even if I already have the window open, or have it minimized when I do something in the app which opens another tab, or even the same tab that's already open, the Chromium window maximizes again.

I see a program called Google Talk plugin is also installed. And was Flash Player as well? I could have sworn I already had Flash Player installed - kinda' confused about why that was installed again, unless I didn't see correctly during the installation. I wish I'd have known all this was going to happen beforehand - I'd have looked into things to figure out exactly what Google Chormium and Google Talk Plugin are before installing.

Anyway, I'll post back with my results as I start using this... Didn't another user in these forums switch from MJ to hardware which also connected directly to GV via this "back door method" resulting from the connection between Gmail and GV? @bitstopjoe maybe? It seems this works similarly to how the other hardware has been described. But without having to buy that other hardware...

EDIT:
I've since been able to learn, I believe, that Chromium is a programming language. So if I understand correctly, I'm assuming your app is written in Chromium, which is why it must be installed in order for your app to run. ??

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

1 edit
reply to redpepper

I'm bombarding the place! Sorry... Fwiw, I have had a GV account since forever, even back when it was GC. In the instructions, after indicating how to set up a GV account, it reads:

quote:
Check the appropriate box to forward your phone number to your Gmail e-mail account.
I don't have an option to foward the phone number to my "Gmail e-mail account." But I do have an option to forward to "Google Chat." From what I've read in the past, this is the option the instructions are referring to, correct?

I guess I'll find out if it works next time someone tries to call - if it doesn't, I'll find out then.

EDIT:
My old "Google Chat" account didn't work - it's linked to a different email address. But after I went through the entire process of installing/preparing GVJack ANOTHER Google Chat option showed up on my GV page - and this option was linked to my Google email address. I had to choose this option as the forwarding number to get the GVJack app to work.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
reply to redpepper

And so far, this is what I have. I've placed two test calls and received two. I turned the "speaker" volume all the way up in the app, and can barely hear the person on the other end. They told me I sounded fine. I'm getting a little static, but I'm not sure if that's just circumstantial at this point.

So far I can't get the incoming calls to ring my phone. My computer "rings" (with an obnoxious sound I don't like - maybe played by the Google Talk Plugin? I dunno...) But while that sound is playing, even though my phone isn't ringing and isn't showing that a call is being received, I can take it off-hook. After a few short odd noises the line is answered and I can talk.

I'm sure there are some things that need to be fiddled with to get things working correctly/better, but I've run out of time tonight - running late for work. So I'll watch this thread and post back with any other results when I have time to fiddle with things again. I'm a bit confused by the whole process at this point.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

4 edits
reply to redpepper

I think I figured out why the volume is so low, 'cuz I'm a dork, though I haven't had a chance to test it yet. The volume setting starts at "Normal," in the box below normal there are settings of "Normal-1" through "Normal-3". ABOVE "Normal" there are settings of "Normal+1" through "Normal+3". I didn't realize there were settings listed above "Normal" in that box - I assumed it was just a normal drop down box. And I thought "Normal-3" was "normal dash three" as opposed to "normal minus three." So I'm sure this will at least fix the volume issue I'm having...

But now, though this wasn't happening before, when I have the volume window open it keeps losing focus. So, every time I try to change the volume the window loses focus and I can't. I can click back in the window to regain focus, but as soon as I try to change something with the mouse it loses focus again. I was able to turn the volume back up by quickly clicking in the field and typing the up arrow button.

The only thing I can think of that changed between when this wasn't happening and when it started happening was that I went from using the "trial" version to using a registered version. The reason I switched to the registered version is because I kept getting an error when I started the program: "Chromium didn't shut down correctly blah blah" between when the instruction screen popped up and the GV Chromium screen popped up. Because the registered version doesn't pop up the instruction screen, it made that particular issue go away. But now I have the "losing focus" issue.

EDIT:
After rebooting (a second time I think) the "losing focus issue" disappeared at least for now...

Oh and fwiw, all the "testing" I've been doing since stating I was running late for work has been done via RDP. Since I'm not home I can't fiddle with trying to get my phone to ring like it should.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

3 edits
reply to redpepper

Gah! One last (for 2nite, I hope) thing... If I reboot the computer while the "GVJack App suite" is running I get an error every time similar to: Google Talk Plugin encountered an internal error, and must close. Report this error to Google? I can pick yes or no. When I click on no the program closes and the computer reboots/shuts down normally. But until I click on no (I haven't tried clicking yes though I'd imagine it'd be the same) the computer won't reboot.

I had a similar issue when rebooting the computer while running the MJ software, and this is something I was excited not to have to deal with anymore. Not a HUGE deal, but kind of a thorn.

EDIT:
Reporting another "buggy" type thing, sorry... If you close the last "tab" in Chromium it behaves oddly, sometimes opening Chromium back up with a message that it was closed down incorrectly. And it always seems to log the GVJack app out. (If you wait long enough and it happens the new Chromium window logs back into GV correclty the GVJack app logs back in.)

redpepper

4 edits

The GVJackApp is a modern single site browser based program. It is designed to try to automatically recover itself and your phone service in the event of a failure or unexpected condition.

If you force close the GVJackApp program using the Task Manager, the entire program will automatically try to re-generate itself. The same is true if the GVJackApp program becomes unresponsive for whatever reason. If you press the reload/refresh button or close the specific tab that relates to the Gmail webpage it will close out and restart the browser to try to automatically recover itself.

To close the browser to the traybar and quietly keep it off your computer screen and taskbar click the browser close button in the upper right hand corner. If you just want to minimize the browser to your Taskbar click on the browser minimize button.

To actually exit the GVJackApp program and the browser altogether right mouse click on the GVJackApp traybar icon and select "Exit" from the menu that appears.

=========

We are able to reproduce the error message you mentioned sometimes when we reboot the computer and will see what can be done about it after we resolve any service affecting wrinkles that happen to come in during the initial product launch period.

pcdaltx

join:2004-06-26
Dallas, TX

It asks me to double click on icon to login..The program is stuck on gvjackapp (the program is waiting for webpage to initialize and it never does. I the click on shortcut and run a 2nd instance and it works. Help..

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
reply to redpepper

Not sure what changed, perhaps a reboot or something, but I just received an incoming call and it actually rang to my phone. Last night this was not working properly. The computer still "rings" though - so I have some messing around to do still.

@redpepper
I think there are a few issues I mentioned that you didn't address - perhaps I need to go through my posts from last night and do some condensing. I was just all over the place! The one thing that is still really bothering me is the fact the Chromium window opens maximzed, or even if the window is "restored down" when you pick an option by right clicking the GVJackApp icon the window maximizes agian.

The reason I brought up the fact the entire Chromium program shuts down if you click the X on the last tab is because, as you mentioned, if you click the X to close the entire program it only minimizes to the traybar - doesn't shut down. I would have expected it to do the same if the user closes the last tab. But I don't know if that's a Chromium issue you guys have no control over or what -- all this stuff is new to me.

ALL IN ALL IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING FINE NOW. I have some kinks to work out, and I haven't made it completely through the learning curve yet. I'll continue to report back as I try to work out a few issues and have more time to use it - but so far, with only a few hiccups along the way, it's working as advertised. I'm still very excited about it!

redpepper

@pcdaltx

We sent a private e-mail message to you via the PCPhoneSoft Support Forum requesting further information and can further provide you assistance to you there.

redpepper

reply to Gork

We are just at Release 1.0 so there will be a few wrinkles to iron out and user suggested improvements to consider moving forward.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to pcdaltx

said by pcdaltx:

The program is stuck on gvjackapp (the program is waiting for webpage to initialize and it never does. I the click on shortcut and run a 2nd instance and it works.

That's actually a good find. This does make the thing work. Running it again gives the message that the program is already running but it also causes it to finish initializing and produce a working telephone.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

2 edits
reply to redpepper

I have done everything I can think of, short of muting the sound on my computer, to turn off the "computer ringing" sound when someone calls. Is everyone's computer ringing like this, and has anyone seen an option to turn it off? The only place I can find any settings for the Google Talk plugin are under Gmail -> Settings -> Chat and nothing there seems to address this particular issue.

With regard to the "maximize issue" I see that the window also maximizes when a call comes in if it has previously been manually resized.

And lastly, I have "call screening" turned on through GV for all callers, but while using GVJack calls aren't screened. I have only verified so far that callers actually in my calling list aren't screened - I haven't had somoene not in my list call me yet. But I have verified that "call screening" is turned on for everyone, just as it was when I was using MJ. (Just to be clear, what I mean by screened is how calls are announced when I pick up the phone to answer and I can press 1 to connect the call or other numbers to have the caller leave a voice mail etc.)

Incoming and outgoing calls are still working perfectly. The sound quality seems better than when I use the MJ service. I have the volume in the GVJack app set to full, which coincides with comments from people at work that they think I'm losing my hearing. /sigh

I'll say now that if this software works at least as good as it is working now through the end of the year, the last promised date from GV that it will continue its free service, it is well worth the $20 price tag. And I assume at this point GV will probably continue as-is beyond the end of this year.

redpepper

1 edit

"I have done everything I can think of, short of muting the sound on my computer, to turn off the "computer ringing" sound when someone calls. Is everyone's computer ringing like this, and has anyone seen an option to turn it off? The only place I can find any settings for the Google Talk plugin are under Gmail -> Settings -> Chat and nothing there seems to address this particular issue"

RESPONSE: You are right about this one. There is currently no way to turn it off. Do you think we should see if we can automatically force disable it if and when you are using your phone as the audio device?

"With regard to the "maximize issue" I see that the window also maximizes when a call comes in if it has previously been manually resized."

RESPONSE: Your idea to leave it the same size as it was if it is already open makes sense. We will include this in the next update.

"And lastly, I have "call screening" turned on through GV for all callers, but while using GVJack calls aren't screened. I have only verified so far that callers actually in my calling list aren't screened - I haven't had somoene not in my list call me yet. But I have verified that "call screening" is turned on for everyone, just as it was when I was using MJ. (Just to be clear, what I mean by screened is how calls are announced when I pick up the phone to answer and I can press 1 to connect the call or other numbers to have the caller leave a voice mail etc.)"

RESPONSE: For incoming calls sent to your Gmail e-mail account it is off by default regardless of how you have it set up in your main Google Voice account. We are going to see if we can add a feature option in the Features Dashboard to enable/disable Call Screening for incoming calls.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

said by redpepper:
There is currently no way to turn it off. Do you think we should see if we can automatically force disable it if and when you are using your phone as the audio device?
Yeah, I think that would be a better implementation, but even better would be a check box to choose whether or not to disable the "computer ringing" when using the phone as the audio device.

said by redpepper:
For incoming calls sent to your Gmail e-mail account it is off by default
REALLY? Google doesn't make that very obvious on their site, unless I'm just missing something. Thanks for checking into adding it as a feature option.

Glad to hear you're also checking into the "maximize issue." It may seem like a small thing but, well, it's making me nuts. hehe

redpepper

2 edits

"Yeah, I think that would be a better implementation, but even better would be a check box to choose whether or not to disable the computer ringing when using the phone as the audio device."

RESPONSE: Agreed. That's how we will try to do it.

"REALLY? Google doesn't make that very obvious on their site, unless I'm just missing something. Thanks for checking into adding it as a feature option"

RESPONSE: In Gmail there is only a similar feature available to make the same decision by manually pressing the Answer or Screen button. We ran some tests yesterday and we are fairly confident we will be able to open this up so you can press 1 (Answer) or 2 (Send to Voice Mail) on your phone keypad after going offhook and also press * if you later to decide to join the caller after you listen in to the beginning of their voice mail message.

"Glad to hear you're also checking into the 'maximize issue'. It may seem like a small thing but, well, it's making me nuts."

RESPONSE: It is as good as done.

redpepper

Based on numerous user requests, support for MJ+ dongles (when plugged into a USB port) has been added to the GVJack App.

It is included in incremental Release 1.002 now available for download.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

1 edit

That was quick! I initially assumed that working with MJ+ dongles wasn't going to be possible for some technical reason so I'm glad to see you've made it over that hurdle.

EDIT:
Fwiw, I'm trying to move all my "technical" related issues over to the pcphonesoft forums to make it easier for them to keep track of and diagnose problems. Yeah, after over a year of a relationship with them I've finally joined their forums.

So far the biggest problem I'm having is that when I dial a phone number it doesn't always go through the first time, but ALWAYS goes through when I dial again directly afterwards. PCPhonesoft and I haven't come to an agreement yet as to if this is due to a problem in their software or a problem with my setup. But I have posted further details on their forums. Also, afaik I am the only one who has had this issue thus far.

Still very happy with GVJack, and as always, PCPhonesoft is hammering out problems and issues discovered in release v1 very quickly. I think its stable enough for most anyone to jump in at this point, especially if you consider the low price point.