spc
Search similar:

uniqs
redpepper
join:2009-09-05

redpepper to Gork

to Gork

Re: "GVJack App" Converts MJ Dongles To Google Voice

Incremental Release 1.003 is stable and the main service affecting wrinkles have now been ironed out.

A very special thanks goes to a number of initial users including some from this forum including but not limited to Gork and Nailgunner that chimed into the PCPhoneSoft Support Forum to detail the initial problems, send in log files and in some cases kindly allowed us to remotely log into their computers to test when we could not reproduce certain issues on any of our in house computers. Your efforts were very much appreciated.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

2 edits

Gork

Service-wise GVJack has been working PERFECTLY for me since v1.003. There are a few small qwerks left in the GUI, but pcphonesoft is on top of those and also has more improvements in the works.

Certainly, this is working better for me than MJ's own service. Connections seem more likely to happen, are quicker and I'm no longer blocked from calling my mother at work, a few small cities away. I can call Alaska, no problem, and my sister in a small city in ID. I can talk for more than 1.5 hours, and if I'm disconnected for whatever reason after placing a call *I* can call the other person back instead of having to wait for them to call me like with MJ.

I still have MJ service until April, but I see no reason I'll be using it. I've cancelled my renewal subscription, and because I thought ahead and used a "disposable credit card number" to renew last year I shouldn't have to worry about a charge going through. If they so happen to use a previous credit card number I'll request a chargback quicker than you can say GVJack! heh

Though it may sound like it, I am not a paid spokesman - just a simple user. It just feels good to be rid of so many problems/lies/shortcomings associated with MJ's service.

I should have followed the path of others in this form long ago (I think @bitstopjoe was one of them) and purchased hardware to work directly with GV. Though I came out ahead financially by waiting for GVJack, It'd have saved me a lot of heartache by not sticking with magicJack for this past year.

EDIT:
Clarified my last sentence.
Nailgunner
join:2010-09-28

Nailgunner to redpepper

to redpepper
said by redpepper:

A very special thanks goes to a number of initial users including some from this forum including but not limited to Gork and Nailgunner that chimed into the PCPhoneSoft Support Forum to detail the initial problems, send in log files and in some cases kindly allowed us to remotely log into their computers to test when we could not reproduce certain issues on any of our in house computers. Your efforts were very much appreciated.

It was my pleasure. I've been "off-line" for a few days and will be for the next week, but at this point I'm very happy with how it's working. I have received my back-up dongle, so as long as Google cooperates I am looking forward to virtually free phone service for a few years. I have total confidence that I will be satisfied with your part of the equation. Being the cheap ass that I am I just need to make sure to get in on the 30% off by the end of the month.

jubangy
Premium Member
join:2005-03-26
Corry, PA

jubangy to redpepper

Premium Member

to redpepper
I just thought others may fin this useful, not sure if it was just a fluke or what but I am using the gvjackapp have had it almost a week now with no issue. Tonight I decided to get brave as my dish bill was due so I used my receiver to pay my bill, ths is the FIRST time it has ever worked over voip from ANY provider. It worked flawlessly without error, I was amazed.
Not sure if it will ever work again but just using it successfully one time with no errors for the very first time in 3 years was sweet. Pretty sad a free service has done on the first try what the big namers have never been able to do, at least for me lol!
redpepper

redpepper

Release 1.01 is now available for download and includes the following additional features:

- Automatic Call Redialing
- Per Call Screening
- Call Forwarding (*72/*73)
- Speed Dialing (0 to 9999)
- Enhanced Per Call PIN Dialing ##7X (where X is the PIN digit you want to send)
- Enhanced Sign In / Sign Out

Min. Spec: 1Ghz CPU / 1 Gig RAM

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

Oh I'm downloading this now - been waiting for it. I can't even wait to get home, so I hope it installs ok over RDP...

Oh and thanks jubangy See Profile for your information. Nice...

dan1232
@comcast.net

dan1232 to redpepper

Anon

to redpepper
I just installed this and it works great. But I'm curious, what happens if Google decides to start charging for US/Canada calling in 2013? I'm guessing some people would still use this, but it would be useless to everyone else that bought it in 2012, wouldn't it?
redpepper

4 edits

redpepper

Not really because the complete question must be positioned relative to other viable competing alternatives available at a given point in time.

Useless compared to and relative to the price and service quality/coverage of what real viable alternatives at that exact point in time if and when it ever comes? Vonage? MJ? Ooma? NetTalk? Skype?

Even as a current relative benchmark on the closest end of the competitive scale, magicJack recently increased their standard annual service renewal rates to $29.95 from $19.95. In terms of service quality/coverage users continue to publicly report further area codes they are blocked from calling making it a non-viable alternative for some at the moment.

Unlike other key competitors, Google is well positioned to draw from other very profitable revenue streams that are easily forgotten like advertising to either fully or partially cover the cost of providing free service to users in North America. They also have "paid for" international calling revenue to draw from not only from North American users but also from users in 38+ other countries where their calling services are now being offered.

Even if Google Voice makes the unlikely decision to start charging for their service (that has continued to be free since 2009) at some point in the future, we believe it is going to be extremely competitive versus the viable alternatives that are available at the point in time that ever happens.

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

1 edit

Gork to dan1232

to dan1232
said by dan1232 :

it would be useless to everyone else that bought it in 2012, wouldn't it?

Just to mirror part of what redpepper See Profile said... If GV started charging $20/yr come 2013, that would be cheaper than the cheapest alternative I know of. MJ is $30/yr unless you order five years worth of service - and I pity anyone who does that...

As long as GV is free until the end of 2012, and they've said it will be, I feel the $20 for GVJack pays for itself. If GVJack continues to work as well as it does now (and they currently keep getting better), and GV continues to offer free service in the manner they do now through 2013 any user of GVJack will come out WAY ahead.

EDIT:
Just made myself giggle a little. The $40 savings for two years doesn't seem all that huge, really. So perhaps I shouldn't have capitalized "WAY." But then you have to think about MJ's limitations that GVJack doesn't have: If not being blocked from calling certain numbers at any given time, being limited to 1.5 hrs of talk time, having to wait 10 mins to call back when disconnected etc. can be included in the savings, well then maybe the capitalization was accurate!
redpepper

redpepper

For clarification, here are the 3 easy steps that will let you use any expired/used/new magicJack dongle with Google Voice and a regular phone:

1. Plug any expired/used/new magicJack dongle phone adapter into the USB port of a computer.

2. Download and install the GVJack App program from »www.pcphonesoft.com .

3. Sign in using any Gmail e-mail account and password. When you hear your phone ring it is ready for you to start placing FREE phone calls.

Just pick up your phone handset and dial the number you wish to call using your phone keypad and answer your phone when it rings. If you want to revert to use your magicJack in its original form, just close the GVJack App program and unplug your magicJack and plug it back in again.
bukzin
join:2001-11-21

bukzin to redpepper

to redpepper
Will this app/devise work with my MacBookPro?

Thanks!
redpepper

redpepper

Thanks for the question. Perhaps in the future if the numbers make sense.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl to redpepper

Premium Member

to redpepper
Just tried it for the first time (on a "tiny" PC--old Acer Revo); worked great (easy on the "tiny" system resources). Cool.

Anyone know if this setup works with the typical [ADT] Home Security System? (My sister could use it if it does.)

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

said by GlennLouEarl:

Anyone know if this setup works with the typical [ADT] Home Security System? (My sister could use it if it does.)

I've read people post that it does, but it would depend on too many factors for each individual to know for sure. I'd think your best bet would be to try yours on her computer and see. One thing to keep in mind though, a power or ISP outage, or the computer crashing - or anything similar - would cause the ADT system to fail.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to redpepper

Premium Member

to redpepper
kool. My kids are getting of an age where they want their own phone. I'll hold onto the dongle and let them use it with Google voice.

I just "upgraded" from the dongle to magic jack plus.
redpepper

redpepper

Smart thinking. That's definitely a really good use for it.

webtechy
join:2002-02-28
Fremont, CA

webtechy to bukzin

to bukzin
said by bukzin:

Will this app/devise work with my MacBookPro?

Thanks!

The operating system requirements from the download show "Operating system: Windows XP/2003/Vista/7" and the article here says it's windows only unfortunately for us Mac users.
»reviews.cnet.com/8301-33 ··· 17006471

greenman
join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

1 edit

greenman to redpepper

to redpepper
I really want this because I use Google Voice to forward all my calls to the magicJack. Hence, I wouldn't mind finding an expired dongle or two so I can get rid of my skype number too.

A. I'm not seeing any expired dongles on ebay at $3 a piece. In fact, I'm not seeing any expired dongles at all. Bummer! I'm less likely to buy a $30-to-$40 device with an existing contract only to change to the GVJack software for another $20. (Hmmm... add another $20 if I plan to transfer my existing mJ number to GV. :/ )

B. I would like to have a similar firmware for an expired magicJack plus dongle so I can leave my computer off while I use the dongle.
redpepper

4 edits

redpepper

The demand for the GVJack App has been extremely high and that has been a nice problem to have by all means.

Ebay is however still full of used/expired MJ dongles with more still being listed everyday now that there is actually a viable market for them. Just set your search preference to show the lowest priced ones first.

The bidding for this example expired MJ dongle starts at just $0.95 cents and it will likely bid up to whatever the current market will bear based on supply and demand. We have been tracking them on Ebay for the last few months and find that many are snatched up for under $5 while others are being bid up higher.

»www.ebay.com/itm/MAGICJA ··· 8wt_1325

CURRENT EBAY LIST OF USED/EXPIRED MAGICJACK DONGLES
»www.ebay.com/sch/Home-Ne ··· 0&_sop=1
redpepper

redpepper

The GVJack App now extends real E911 emergency calling service to Google Voice users for only $1/month.

The new "Standard" version of the GVJack App is just $12.95.
synchron
join:2002-12-31
Simi Valley, CA

synchron

redpepper - I just test ran your software on an old expired mj dongle and an xtra gmail/gvoice account. Works great! I figure I can give this to my parents and set them up with their own gvoice account and save $$$ since as of now they are paying like $30/mo through comcast.