More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber to Mystiky4

MVM

to Mystiky4

Re: Actiontec MI424WR Router Revision I - bug/problem ?!

1) THe router has two sets of DNS addresses. a) Those received from VZ when your router does a DHCP lease request, and, b) those issued to a LAN device when the LAN device does a DHCP lease request.

2) VZ's DHCP lease interval is 2 hours. At 1/2 the lease inter, the router renews the WAN DHCP lease for another 2 hours. You apparently booted your router at 9 minutes after the hour. Therefore, you see a DHCP renewal 9 minutes after each hour.

Mystiky4
join:2006-03-15
New York, NY

Mystiky4

UPDATE:
--------

My system has been up for 73 hours, 11 minutes.

Knock on wood, but so far so good.
Mystiky4

Mystiky4

ANOTHER UPDATE
-----------------

Active Status (Router Has Been Active For): 94 hours, 0 minutes

Unreal! So it looks like the WNDR4500 was the culprit after all. Just amazing. The WNDR3800 got some flack from many publications calling it a "so-so" router, while the WNDR4500 was called "the messiah".

Well, buyer BEWARE! Stay away from WNDR4500 if you are thinking about putting it together with the Actiontec / FIOS combo.

If this is the end of my drama for real, I want to thank you ALL for trying to help me, and for putting in the many feedbacks, which were very useful.

I will copy this message to another thread so if anyone else ever has a smiliar problem, they will at least know that it's WNDR4500 issue.
Mystiky4

Mystiky4

This looks to be my last UPDATE regarding my drama:

Rev I - Active Status (Router Has Been Active For): 331 hours, 12 minutes

Seems now that the WNDR4500 was the definate culprit for sure. Ugggghhh!

FiOS_NJ
@verizon.net

FiOS_NJ to Mystiky4

Anon

to Mystiky4
Does anyone know if the rear blue USB ports are USB 3.0?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by FiOS_NJ :

Does anyone know if the rear blue USB ports are USB 3.0?

It doesn't matter. They're not active.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to FiOS_NJ

MVM

to FiOS_NJ
No they are not 3.0.....Even if they were currently active.
macworth
join:2009-07-16
Medford, MA

macworth to Mystiky4

to Mystiky4
So did that resolve your problem? You just switched the 4500 for the 3800?

I have a rev I and I am using an ASUS RT-N56U as a wireless access point (it has a special mode for it which turns of DHCP and everything). I am running into the same problem.

Mystiky4
New York, NY

2 edits

Mystiky4

Yep - taking away that WNDR4500 and putting the WNDR3800 fixed the problem100%. And check this out, now running without any reboots for:

Active Status (Router Has Been Active For): 2131 hours, 53 minutes
kmss1
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Yucaipa, CA

kmss1

Premium Member

Nice job of troubleshooting the issue Mysticky4! You have saved me miles of headaches!

Mystiky4
New York, NY

Mystiky4

Glad to be of help! Believe me, those 3-4 weeks that I spent banging my head against the wall (or shall we say the WNDR4500), were some of my toughest around computers. And I am one of those who goes back to an Atari 400 with 16K and the Atari 410 Tape Recorder (thats before the floppy!).
kmss1
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Yucaipa, CA

kmss1

Premium Member

You and I must be in the same age range; I have an old Trash-80 sitting in the garage (protected) that will still boot, and I remember all those old 8086 and 8088 machines, with the tapes and 5ΒΌ" ss/sd floppies!