spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

[Bill] Comcast just raised rates for HSI, looking for alternativ

I am directing this inquiry to anyone in Lake County, Florida, that has HSI service from Comcast or any other Cable provider and can also receive DSL service from CenturyLink.

Now that Comcast has decided to raise my cost for Performance HSI Service from $43.95 to $47.95 I believe that it is time to look for other alternatives.

Several weeks ago I received and disposed of an offer by mail from CenturyLink that offered for a very reasonable price, to add 10 Mb down HSI to my unlimited telephone service. Has anyone reading this thread received such an offer and how much was the cost to add HSI? Was there an additional fee to rent the ADSL Modem?
schung000
join:2012-01-13
Duluth, GA

schung000

Re: [Bill] Comcast just raised rates for HSI, looking for altern

Wow... My expected rates after promotions are around $63 for the Performance tier...

Of course I plan on haggling with them to lower it after the promotional rates ends

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
I got the offer but I will not be getting it. I can only between 1.5m to 3m down and 764 up.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I bet the website will tell you.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Caddyroger: Was CenturyLink also offering Prism TV service in your area? Recently I learned from a technician who was installing Prism at a neighbors home that CenturyLink was extending fiber to all of their DSLAMS in this area and upgrading equipment to allow them to deliver at least 25Mbps to most homes in this area in order to offer Prism. Apparently CenturyLink technicians test one pair at time to find the cleanest pairs to transmit the Prism signal to each customer subscribing to Prism.

I regularly receive sales calls from CenturyLink making offers, hoping I would move my HSI and then later CATV to their system. The most recent offer was at 10 Mbps down the highest ever offered and that speed was only an additional $15.00 per month added to the cost of my unlimited voice service. Including unlimited voice at $45.00 plus HSI at $15.00 and $20.00 in additional charges and fees my monthly bill will increase from $63.00 to $80.00 per month.

When I lived in South Florida I learned that all cable pairs are not created equal. In my neighborhood there where several cables serving subscribers, the oldest cable was only minimally satisfactory for DSL while the newest cable was excellent for DSL. Usually the telephone company will try to use the highest quality pairs first. If they run out of clean pairs, they will move customers subscribing to lower speeds to poorer quality cables. Possibly reducing their speed to well below their subscribed to speeds. At the time I was using Adelphia HSI and considering moving to BellSouth DSL but some of my neighbors complained that their BellSouth HSI suddenly deteriorated and when they complained loudly enough their speed returned. Those reports caused me to not move to BellSouth HSI.

I found out from a contact I had with BellSouth that the outside plant department was "Frogging" pairs. Frogging means switching pairs giving the subscribers complaining the most the better pairs. That meant that subscribers that had satisfactory speed today might not tomorrow. The reason that you are getting only 1.5m to 3m down and 764 up when you were offered 10Mb might be that CenturyLink does not have sufficient high quality cable pairs deliver 10Mbps or you have a distance issue.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

I have a distant problem because I live in a rural area. Right now CenturyLink highest tier is slower the Comcast slowest tier. I did not pay that in detail because Comcast can not be beat in my area.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
Matt, They charge $4.95/mo to rent the modem and you may only be able to get 1.5mb service if you are in an older area or far from the Central Office. You can always get your own modem at Goodwill or on ebay but you can't do much about improving the speed unless you move or they put in a new fiber network down your street like they did here. I'm paying $60/mo just for internet service of 20mb but it works great so far and besides that's all I have available in my area.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I'll gladly trade you my Centurystink for your Comcast.

SpenceW
@qwest.net

SpenceW

Anon

Don't do it. I'm switching back to comcast right now (even though its 2x the price).

The speed I'm paying for I rarely get. And the ping times are nightmare. Sometimes 20ms, sometimes 200ms+. This has been going on for months now.

CL has oversold their service and I'd stay as far away as possible.
Armadillos
join:2009-04-28
Denver, CO

Armadillos to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
Works perfectly fine for me. It really matters on how far you are from either the CO or the miniDSLAM to get good speeds or connections. I'd say try it out, and if you're not happy, cancel, as I believe they still offer the 30-day guarantee.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to SpenceW

to SpenceW
@SpenceW Hey there, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. I'm sorry that your DSL speed hasn't been running properly. If you would like me to take a look at your DSL line, send me a private message with your billing telephone number & address, and I'll take a look for you.

Thanks,

B
CenturyLink Help Team