Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

My Home network (work in progress)

Click for full size
Click for full size
The router is a 3745 w/ a NM-1GE and a NME-16ES-1G-P

the NM-1GE links to the Comcast SMC for internet

the NME-16ES-1G-P uses 1 100base-TX port to link to my 1242AP and the gig port to uplink to my 2960G 24port gig switch

its still a work in progress as I still need to get more cable managment for the back of the rack and mount my 2U HP server and get a 2nd shelf for my proliant 1600 server and UPS

thus why I only took a pic of the upper portion of the rack (theres 1 shelf in it holding my main computer

then some PDUs in the back that connect to some 1U PDUs at the bottom (the 2 1U PDU's each have 4 outlets but they're not the normal type of outlet and each outlet has its own on-off switch) so they're ment to be connected like this

btw the Rack is a 42U HP rack

you can't see it in the pics but theres a power injector thats in the rack to power the access point, but I plan on removing the need for that later by adding 2x PPWR-PS-360W to the 3745 (which will enable POE on the 16 10/100 ports of the NME-16ES-1G-P, and as the router has dual powersupplies this will also mean that there won't be just 1 ac adapter powering the AP anymore)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
here are some pics of the PDUs
as I said the back is still very much in progress

the back part of the PDU's have that odd plug thats similer but differant from a computer plug, IE the more squre with rotated blades

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

said by DarkLogix:

the back part of the PDU's have that odd plug that's similar but different from a computer plug, IE the more square with rotated blades

C19 outlet perhaps? See:
»www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=4480
Or one of these (C20 and up): »www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx

The bottom U1 PDUs have breaker switches, each one is rated for 15 amps, I would hazard a guess and say the far left switch/breaker cuts power to the entire PDU (while providing overload protection). What ever life this rack had in the past, it needed a good deal of power, maybe it held blade servers or a ton of u1 servers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya that C19 looks like it

and ya each of the 1U pdu's have 5 switches 4 branch and 1 master

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Why do you have so many PDUs?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

It came with them
and it was the only rack I could find in houston via e-bay in a reasonable price

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

If you don't need them at the moment, I would take them out to avoid cramping your cable arrangement when you add equipment later.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

well with their design they won't cause any cramping

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state

That 3745 is a big router.. Power hungry is it?

I have a 3725 at home and love it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I haven't checked the power usage but I'll bet that the proliant 1600 uses more than the 3745

at some point I might try turning it all off and powering on just the router to see the power usage via my UPS.

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state

I would say your probably right. Oh man to get my hands on a nm-16esw..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

The NM-16ESW is is nice but teh NME-16ES-1G-P is better

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Btw if you don't know the differance between the NM-16ESW and the NME-16ES

The NME-16ES is basicly a layer3 switch (the 1G is for if it has the gig port option)

the NM-16ESW just comes up as 16 switchports on the router

so the NME-16ES runs its own IOS thats updated any all independantly of the router and the link between the router and the module shows up as a single gig port (so the NME-16ES-1G appears to have 2 gig ports one thats internal and goes directly to the router and 1 that has a real port)

the NM-16ESW just adds 16 switch ports available directly in the router's config

with the NME-16ES-1G you can configure it a few ways, as far as the link between the router and the module it can be thought of asthough you had 2 gig ports and one is uplinked to the router and the other is available to plug something into

you can set it as a trunk port or as a flat port, and as the module is a layer 3 switch you can have it do all the vlan routing and then leave the router to do the WAN/LAN routing and NAT