spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ineel

join:2011-08-12
Sacramento, CA

Do i need to have twisted pair drop cable?

Click for full size
I was having some problems with my connection lately and I was just looking at the NID when he technician opened it in 10/2008 prior to installing the uverse equipment in it. It seems that the drop cable (black cable) isn't twisted pair. Could this be why I'm having so many corrected blocks in the millions and uncorrected blocks in the hundred thousands? The white and yellow cables are both cat 5e cables that run to the structured wiring panel in the master bed closet. Thanks for all you help!

Bell System
Premium
join:2005-12-04
Strongsville, OH
It actually is twisted inside the drop cable, it's just not twisted for the las few inches there. Keep in mind the rate of twist in drop cables is cat3 at best, so don't think it needs to look like cat5. And no, those few inches lightly twisted is likely NOT to be the source of your errors.

And quit peekin' on our side!

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to ineel
said by ineel:

I was having some problems with my connection lately and I was just looking at the NID when he technician opened it in 10/2008 prior to installing the uverse equipment in it. It seems that the drop cable (black cable) isn't twisted pair. Could this be why I'm having so many corrected blocks in the millions and uncorrected blocks in the hundred thousands? The white and yellow cables are both cat 5e cables that run to the structured wiring panel in the master bed closet. Thanks for all you help!

Actually the cable that you have there is one of the best I've ever seen. It is shielded with corrugated copper. I have that type of cable in my home too... and no it is not twisted inside but the shield does a better job.

Bell System
Premium
Strongsville, OH
It IS twisted inside...trust me!

tel601

join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS
reply to ineel
I did not know that other areas could use that type of EBN for a Uverse line. In my area we are required to replace all EBN and carbons with the new combined GSSP and EBN on all uverse orders or we fail inspection. I have seen a some of the EBNs with the RJ11 plug connection that were left in place cause errors due to a issue in the plug. I have been told by some customers that they unplugged and plugged back in the test jack and the errors stopped.
ULM-KIT-1UU1 is what we use. »catalog2.corning.com/CorningCabl ··· 5-EN.pdf

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
said by tel601:

I did not know that other areas could use that type of EBN for a Uverse line. In my area we are required to replace all EBN and carbons with the new combined GSSP and EBN on all uverse orders or we fail inspection. I have seen a some of the EBNs with the RJ11 plug connection that were left in place cause errors due to a issue in the plug. I have been told by some customers that they unplugged and plugged back in the test jack and the errors stopped.
ULM-KIT-1UU1 is what we use. »catalog2.corning.com/CorningCabl ··· 5-EN.pdf

They installed our Uverse with the old NID and RJ11 plugs still in place, in fact all of the houses on my block have their original NID's with RJ11 connectiors still in place, and they ALL have Uverse. Our NID was replaced about 7 years ago.
A family friend a half mile away with Uverse, and an older house got a new NID installed when she ordered Uverse, and it's the same exact type you listed above.
I did have a run in with those older RJ11 connectors where they got old and loose and started causing terrible static on the lines of my mom's business.....the line techs solution was to skip the connector and hook the building wiring straight up to the phone company side instead of replace the connector...

tel601

join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS
reply to ineel
The ULM-KIT-1UU1 EBN can be installed in older ONI's as a retro-fit. It does not require the ONI in the picture.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to GusHerb94
um get a tech back out there and fix that, as you dont have a proper demarc, thus the whole reason for the test jack to be able to isolate trouble on telco or cpe side.

ineel

join:2011-08-12
Sacramento, CA
reply to ineel
Sorry if I didn't make this already clear. The at&t side of the NID is open because the technician opened it and went to his truck to get some equipment so i took a few snaps. This is also pre-install of Uverse tv + hsi so the filters necessary for UVerse aren't installed at that point in time. This is the only picture of the NID i had with the at&t side open.

So apparently my drop cable is cat 3 with a corrugated copper shield that is grounded so it essentially doesn't need any twisting?

Bell System
Premium
Strongsville, OH
Are you asking if there is a twist to the pairs inside the drop cable itself, or are you asking about the last few inches that the individual pairs are exposed???????????

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

um get a tech back out there and fix that, as you dont have a proper demarc, thus the whole reason for the test jack to be able to isolate trouble on telco or cpe side.

It doesn't matter anymore, I switched her store over to Comcast so the telco wiring is not in service anymore. I did do a service to ourselves/others in the future that may ever want to get landline service in our building and removed those troublesome modular connectors from the NID, and cleaned up the wiring rats nest in there too, but AT&T seriously should have replaced the thing 9 years ago when we moved in/headaches started.