share rss forum feed

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

[iPad] No AirPrint Printers Found

I have a new iPad2. When I try to print to my network printer, it searches for it and then says "No AirPrint Printers Found."

How do I print to my network laser printer?

Thanks.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
It only works if you have an HP printer.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by bobrk:

It only works if you have an HP printer.

Not only HP, but it is a pretty limited list:
»support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

I had some trouble getting my HP printer to show up properly. Changing to a different wireless AP worked for some reason (never looked into why one worked and one didn't).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
I have a Dell 2150cn Laser Color Printer networked. I have no trouble logging on to the Printer Server Settings on my iPad. But how do I enable AirPrint? What is AirPrint?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
AirPrint is Apple's name for printers that fully support Bonjour and generic printer driver style. Basically iOS has support for a single printer driver. Your printer must be able to advertise itself to the iPad using Bonjour and also support that driver. If it does, Apple labels it "AirPrint-compatible". If it doesn't, it won't work at all.

You can also run AirPrint Activator on your computer to print via the computer to the Dell:
»netputing.com/airprintactivator/
--

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA

1 edit
Here are my Bonjour settings.

Bonjour (mDNS)
Port StatusOn
Host NameDELLA57674
Printer NameDell 2150cn Color Printer (A5:76:74)

I downloaded the airprint activator for Windows to enable airprint, but my iPod still cannot find any AirPrint printers. Is this because I have the iPad2? I read that the OS disables the airprint activator.

Edit: I have Bonjour installed in Windows. I ran the mDNSResponder.exe, rebooted my iPad but still no joy.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
The Dell 2150cn is not "AirPrint" compatible. It makes no sense. I have a nice colour laser printer which is hooked up to my Airport Express, works fine for everything except iPhone and iPad..why? Not "AirPrint". Sucks.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to jmorlan
Sorry, don't have much experience with the windows version. Do you have iTunes 10.1 or higher installed as well?

I ran the Activator on OS X just now with a networked Canon printer. It worked instantly with my iPhone 4S.

Here's something for Windows:
»9to5mac.com/2010/11/25/activate-···windows/

Did you set the printer to Share on your Windows machine (in control panels, I'm guessing)? Even though it's a network printer, the computer running AirPrint Activator also has to "reshare" the printer for this to work.
--

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to jmorlan
I use Printopia (»www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/) as it came with a software package I bought. It makes every printer connected to my mac an AirPrint printer; it even adds options for duplexing and colour/monochrome. Depending on how much you want the functionality... it's $20.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to Thinkdiff
Thanks. I have now shared the printer on the network using Windows sharing. This made no difference.

Next I opened the Windows Firewall to allow the Airprint Activator and Confirmed the Airprint Activator is service is running.

Still no joy.

Next I tried to download the Activator for the Mac, but Safari would not allow me to download it to my iPad.

It's a good thing this iPad was a gift. If I paid good money for this, I would not be happy.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

I use Printopia (»www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/) as it came with a software package I bought. It makes every printer connected to my mac an AirPrint printer; it even adds options for duplexing and colour/monochrome. Depending on how much you want the functionality... it's $20.

I don't have a mac and I do not see Printopia in the app store. Can I just download and install the demo on my iPad?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to jmorlan
Taken from here: »jailbreakqa.com/questions/75138/···-devices

quote:
I was able to make Airprint work with IOS 5 under windows !!! here is what you need to do :

First , if you had installed Airprint before and if the Airprint Service is still in your Service list ( you can check by running the command: services.msc ) you need to unregister it .

to do so type at the command Prompt ( Make sure your run the command line as an administrator ) :

sc.exe delete Airprint
Now we are going to re-register the Airprint service but with a slight different Command option:

At the command line type the following 2 commands:

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:Program FilesAirPrintairprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

sc.exe start Airprint
at this point , you should now be able to see a list of your shared printers from your IOS 5 Device !

If you don't see any lock icon next to your printer name, then you're good to go !

If you see a lock icon next to the printer name, make sure you enable the guest account in windows
Once you enable the guest account , restart the Airprint service and Voila ! you now can print from your IOS 5 Device !

Want to thank Takelei for finding the solution to this issue !

Guimon

You're trying to use an unsupported Printer, so obviously it's not going to be point and click all the time. Apple built functionality to do this into OS X, but they didn't activate it.

Your printer won't work with iOS, Android, or anything else for that matter without some kind of service running on your PC.
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

reply to jmorlan
iOS5 killed many of the AirPrint 'enabler' programs for printers that do not have AirPrint support.

FingerPrint for $10 works perfectly and even has an option for 'display on my PC' (PDF if I remember correctly). You can try for 30 days free. Works like a dream.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to Thinkdiff

This almost worked. There were some slashes missing in the command which I had to fix. The actual command is:

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

And yes I had to enable the windows guest account to get rid of the lock icon. So now my iPad recognizes my printer!

But when I actually try to print, it now says

Printing to "Dell 2150cn Color Printer" Contacting Printer....

and it sits there. Eventually it reports my printer is offline.

Any suggestions?

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to jmorlan
This was referred to me not too long ago from someone in this forum. I bought it and it works great. Well worth the money spent.

»www.collobos.com/

Everyone in the family now prints from their iPhone 4's to our home networked HP color laser jet printer.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to jmorlan
In the same link, somebody recommended disabling the Windows Firewall temporarily and trying again.

If it works without the Firewall, it's just a matter of figuring out the correct ports/services to allow.

If you want to save the headaches, FingerPrint looks like a good alternative - not too expensive.
--

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Retired6
said by Retired6:

This was referred to me not too long ago from someone in this forum. I bought it and it works great. Well worth the money spent.

»www.collobos.com/

Everyone in the family now prints from their iPhone 4's to our home networked HP color laser jet printer.

I agree with this post - I also spent the ten bucks for this tool - worth every penny.

IOS5 made some changes in the Airprint protocol which broke most of the after market windows enablers for airprint. As non of these were true commercial products, they were not updated.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to Thinkdiff
Thanks again. I tried disabling the Windows Firewall. No joy.

There is a print spool sharing error on every boot, Event 315 in Windows. I checked all the server dependencies and they are all set to auto, so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Is there a place on the iPad to configure the printer?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by jmorlan:

Thanks again. I tried disabling the Windows Firewall. No joy.

There is a print spool sharing error on every boot, Event 315 in Windows. I checked all the server dependencies and they are all set to auto, so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Is there a place on the iPad to configure the printer?

Jmorlan:

Try fingerprint - FREE download/trial - no need for guest accounts, works out of the box for IOS5. It installs and runs - no need to build fake services or dependencies

I have only heard of one person able to get AirPrint enabler working for IOS5.... The interwebs are full of folks unable to make it work.
--

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
said by dellsweig:

Jmorlan:

Try fingerprint - FREE download/trial - no need for guest accounts, works out of the box for IOS5. It installs and runs - no need to build fake services or dependencies

I have only heard of one person able to get AirPrint enabler working for IOS5.... The interwebs are full of folks unable to make it work.

while this isn't of much help -- if you run linux at all in the network -- setting up the printer and sharing it via the standard "sharing" tools works pretty well.
i use this at my place -- where i have an hp2600 shared via my ubuntu 11.04 workstation. it just works(tm) and printing is successful from all ios5 i-devices.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by tubbynet:

said by dellsweig:

Jmorlan:

while this isn't of much help -- if you run linux at all in the network -- setting up the printer and sharing it via the standard "sharing" tools works pretty well.
i use this at my place -- where i have an hp2600 shared via my ubuntu 11.04 workstation. it just works(tm) and printing is successful from all ios5 i-devices.

q.

I used this for my Ubuntu box

»hartlessbydesign.com/blog/view/1···ntu-1010
--

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
i did too -- but strangely enough -- my printers actually showed up twice -- once as the name that i gave them, once as how they were shared on the ubuntu workstation.
i'm sure it has something to do with automatically using bonjour to share it via some mac clients or some such nonsense -- but if you have a zeroconf browser installed on other workstations, you can see that its already there using the standard sharing knobs.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to jmorlan
If you have an AirPrint printer make sure the correct ports are open - google the ports for the Bonjour service.

I have an AirPrint printer at work, but the iPads that kids used wouldn't be detected because they had the ports blocked. They wouldn't open them until they needed them open for admin and now everything works perfectly.

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
reply to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

IOS5 made some changes in the Airprint protocol which broke most of the after market windows enablers for airprint. As non of these were true commercial products, they were not updated.

I'm still a bit baffeled about that as my low-tech solution continues to work just fine. All I do in OSX is:
- share the printer in OSX System Preferences
- register it from terminal.app using "dns-sd -R" app bundled in OSX (and passing parameters obtained from Bonjour)

I've got two 5-6 year old printers working fine with AirPrint using this simple hack.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by bbarrera:

said by dellsweig:

I'm still a bit baffeled about that as my low-tech solution continues to work just fine. All I do in OSX is:
- share the printer in OSX System Preferences
- register it from terminal.app using "dns-sd -R" app bundled in OSX (and passing parameters obtained from Bonjour)

I've got two 5-6 year old printers working fine with AirPrint using this simple hack.

We don't use OSX. All our home computers run Windows 7 Professional.

We just wanted a simple way to print from our iPhone 4's to our home network printer..:+)
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

not

@comcast.net
You have three choices. One, download/pay for an iOS app that supports printing to your printer (HP has one, Epson has one), go out and buy an ePrint capable HP printer (almost all the new wireless ones are ePrint capable, but make sure it has the logo on it), or buy a router that can turn your existing printer into an AirPrint capable printer. The routers I would recommend are the Netgear ones that have ReadyShare Printer capabilities. The newers WNDRMAC or WNDR4500 have such features. (All you do is plug a USB cord from the printer to the router and the router then behaves as your Print Server, instead of the printer itself doing the work.) The key is whatever is acting as the Print Server for the printer has to support Bonjour/AirPrint capabilities, something that the majority of older printers do not. That's not the iPad's fault, it's the printer's fault.

While I agree that Apple should have just implemented simple TCP printing, I also know that iOS devices aren't the only ones that cannot print to simple TCP based printers... other tablets and/or mobile devices have the same issue.

Good luck with your choice on which route to take. Just remember, it's not that big a deal and if you don't want to replace your expensive printer, just replace your router... chances are good the new one will be way better than your old one anyway, improving both capabilities and range, as the new ones really do have way better coverage than the ones that came out a couple of years ago.