join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff

Re: [iPad] No AirPrint Printers Found

Thanks. I have now shared the printer on the network using Windows sharing. This made no difference.

Next I opened the Windows Firewall to allow the Airprint Activator and Confirmed the Airprint Activator is service is running.

Still no joy.

Next I tried to download the Activator for the Mac, but Safari would not allow me to download it to my iPad.

It's a good thing this iPad was a gift. If I paid good money for this, I would not be happy.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Taken from here: »jailbreakqa.com/question ··· -devices
quote:
I was able to make Airprint work with IOS 5 under windows !!! here is what you need to do :

First , if you had installed Airprint before and if the Airprint Service is still in your Service list ( you can check by running the command: services.msc ) you need to unregister it .

to do so type at the command Prompt ( Make sure your run the command line as an administrator ) :

sc.exe delete Airprint
Now we are going to re-register the Airprint service but with a slight different Command option:

At the command line type the following 2 commands:

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:Program FilesAirPrintairprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

sc.exe start Airprint
at this point , you should now be able to see a list of your shared printers from your IOS 5 Device !

If you don't see any lock icon next to your printer name, then you're good to go !

If you see a lock icon next to the printer name, make sure you enable the guest account in windows
Once you enable the guest account , restart the Airprint service and Voila ! you now can print from your IOS 5 Device !

Want to thank Takelei for finding the solution to this issue !

Guimon

You're trying to use an unsupported Printer, so obviously it's not going to be point and click all the time. Apple built functionality to do this into OS X, but they didn't activate it.

Your printer won't work with iOS, Android, or anything else for that matter without some kind of service running on your PC.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

This almost worked. There were some slashes missing in the command which I had to fix. The actual command is:

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

And yes I had to enable the windows guest account to get rid of the lock icon. So now my iPad recognizes my printer!

But when I actually try to print, it now says

Printing to "Dell 2150cn Color Printer" Contacting Printer....

and it sits there. Eventually it reports my printer is offline.

Any suggestions?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

In the same link, somebody recommended disabling the Windows Firewall temporarily and trying again.

If it works without the Firewall, it's just a matter of figuring out the correct ports/services to allow.

If you want to save the headaches, FingerPrint looks like a good alternative - not too expensive.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

Thanks again. I tried disabling the Windows Firewall. No joy.

There is a print spool sharing error on every boot, Event 315 in Windows. I checked all the server dependencies and they are all set to auto, so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Is there a place on the iPad to configure the printer?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by jmorlan:

Thanks again. I tried disabling the Windows Firewall. No joy.

There is a print spool sharing error on every boot, Event 315 in Windows. I checked all the server dependencies and they are all set to auto, so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

Is there a place on the iPad to configure the printer?

Jmorlan:

Try fingerprint - FREE download/trial - no need for guest accounts, works out of the box for IOS5. It installs and runs - no need to build fake services or dependencies

I have only heard of one person able to get AirPrint enabler working for IOS5.... The interwebs are full of folks unable to make it work.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by dellsweig:

Jmorlan:

Try fingerprint - FREE download/trial - no need for guest accounts, works out of the box for IOS5. It installs and runs - no need to build fake services or dependencies

I have only heard of one person able to get AirPrint enabler working for IOS5.... The interwebs are full of folks unable to make it work.

while this isn't of much help -- if you run linux at all in the network -- setting up the printer and sharing it via the standard "sharing" tools works pretty well.
i use this at my place -- where i have an hp2600 shared via my ubuntu 11.04 workstation. it just works(tm) and printing is successful from all ios5 i-devices.

q.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by tubbynet:

said by dellsweig:

Jmorlan:

while this isn't of much help -- if you run linux at all in the network -- setting up the printer and sharing it via the standard "sharing" tools works pretty well.
i use this at my place -- where i have an hp2600 shared via my ubuntu 11.04 workstation. it just works(tm) and printing is successful from all ios5 i-devices.

q.

I used this for my Ubuntu box

»hartlessbydesign.com/blo ··· ntu-1010

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

i did too -- but strangely enough -- my printers actually showed up twice -- once as the name that i gave them, once as how they were shared on the ubuntu workstation.
i'm sure it has something to do with automatically using bonjour to share it via some mac clients or some such nonsense -- but if you have a zeroconf browser installed on other workstations, you can see that its already there using the standard sharing knobs.

q.