spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BCITMike

join:2012-01-15

[BC] Intermittent Actiontec V1000h

Over the last month or so, I've been noticing times where a couple of web pages fail to load, but work when I manually refresh it. After a while of this, if I noticed quick enough, I could see that I couldn't ping public servers for a few seconds and then it would come back on its own.

Yesterday, I noticed the DSL LED on the Actiontec V1000h was going off during this time, which tells me the issue is between model and Telus, but two CSR's couldn't see any issue and said my speeds and signals were excellent (I am about 400meters from the local NOC and I get 25Mbps regularly). Even with specific times and durations, the CSR's couldn't determine the cause and scheduled me for an appointment on Saturday for "pot splitting" (I already have a filter on the one phone set plugged in). I am doubtful this is going to fix it, as they don't know what is going on and it looks like they are just trying to appease me and make it look like they are working on it.

Since I am running the modified firmware 31.30L.48 to enable bridge mode, I think this will come up during the troubleshooting and also why its not on the latest firmware.

If someone can PM me the tech or root account info that will allow me to upgrade to 31.30L.55 to change to bridge and router mode, I can 1) See if they fixed my issue, 2) Switch it to router mode for the appointment and back afterwards.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. My router is Dlink DIR655 and the built in modem has wifi disabled and in bridge mode. This intermittent problem was not believed to be there since the beginning, seems to have started in December.

Anonymoooooo

@telus.com
said by BCITMike:

(I already have a filter on the one phone set plugged in). I am doubtful this is going to fix it, as they don't know what is going on and it looks like they are just trying to appease me and make it look like they are working on it.

Please don't think like this. The reason they are sending a tech out is because they can't see any problems from their end and they need someone there to actually look for the problem. Also adding a POTS splitter WILL help, the dongle filter you have attached to your phone will be replaced with a central splitter that will filter out all of the other phone jacks in your entire house/apartment/condo.

Why do you assume that no one actually wants to help you?

BCITMike

said by Anonymoooooo :

said by BCITMike:

(I already have a filter on the one phone set plugged in). I am doubtful this is going to fix it, as they don't know what is going on and it looks like they are just trying to appease me and make it look like they are working on it.

Please don't think like this. The reason they are sending a tech out is because they can't see any problems from their end and they need someone there to actually look for the problem. Also adding a POTS splitter WILL help, the dongle filter you have attached to your phone will be replaced with a central splitter that will filter out all of the other phone jacks in your entire house/apartment/condo.

Why do you assume that no one actually wants to help you?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not saying that 'no one actually wants to help', I was saying I don't think they know what to do. In my years of having Telus and Shaw, out of 5 or 6 house calls, there has only ever been 1 technician who actually worked on the real problem, everyone else shows up, replaces the modem, and goes home. It was a Shaw contractor, and he found a bad coax joiner and remade it and was able to take out a $300 amp that was there to solve the cable loss issue.

I appreciate your comment that you think the POTS splitter WILL help, though I only have 1 phone jack in my apartment, and it already has a filter. So I'm not seeing a benefit unless the cheap dongle filters are just cheap, inferior filter and the POTS is quality. But I guess you're saying this is a filter for the modem (which I was told the modems had such filters built in...).

Thanks

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
The ADSL microfilters have been in use for many years now and they ARE just little cheap bits of plastic. A VDSL POTS splitter is a key component of all Optik TV installs. They can make a difference depending on what the root issue actually is.

Bear in mind there is no guarantee that modified firmware you have on your modem is fully stable either. Have you tried taking your modem OUT of bridged mode for a couple days to see if it stays stable? You should be able to do that without installing the newer unsupported firmware. When the Actiontec is bridged it has an improper connection to Telus. They are quite easy to spot for anyone who knows what to look for on our end and I've come across a handful so far (.48 and .55 firmware). All with issues.

zajacz

join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
said by nss_tech:

When the Actiontec is bridged it has an improper connection to Telus. They are quite easy to spot for anyone who knows what to look for on our end and I've come across a handful so far (.48 and .55 firmware). All with issues.

Having the Actiontec in bridge mode causes issues??

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
It can, yes. It still tries to pull an IP.

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to BCITMike
Every few months my internet slows to a crawl. I reboot the Actiontec V1000h router and it usually doesn't help. I then reset it to factory settings, reboot and it then works fine.

BCITMike

reply to BCITMike
Well after a couple of weeks of trying different profiles, they are sending a tech out again. this time the modem will be replaced.

So I will be stuck in router mode after the tech leaves. Unfortunately, a kind soul hasn't PM'd me a root/tech account to put it back in bridge mode and Telus hasn't release a firmware with bridge mode available.

I will probably be signing back up with Shaw.