spc
uniqs

JGatsby
@myfairpoint.net

JGatsby to exeter

Anon

to exeter

Re: [speed/latency] Speeds slow on 30/15 connection NH/ME

Tschmidt- It seems pretty clear that the issue is with Fairpoint's peering to Alternet at this point. It is consistently shown in the traceroutes that the congestion hits leaving Fairpoint and hitting Alternet. The scary part is that we seem to have an issue on GW3, GW4 and GW1.

When I 'upgraded' to the 30/15 for a significant lower price per month, I asked what the catch was. Well, this seems to be the catch and we're in for 2 years :/

-Gatsby

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by JGatsby :

Tschmidt- It seems pretty clear that the issue is with Fairpoint's peering to Alternet at this point.

Yup - just looked back through this thread and noted jadziedzic See Profile traceroute is the same as mrmengo See Profile. Agree with mrmengo See Profile that FairPoint has to know about this problem.

/tom

Rum47
@myfairpoint.net

Rum47 to JGatsby

Anon

to JGatsby
I just wanted to ring in here. Thanks for this thread! It's good to know I'm not the only one...unfortunately.

I also "upgraded" to 30/15 when the offer was made by Fairpoint. When I started having issues with Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus on my Roku box I thought it was here in my house - a LAN issue or something. After doing speed tests more frequently, I see now how much the speed is changing throughout the day - especially in the evening.

Last Thursday through Saturday I was stuck around 2-3 down and 4-6 up the whole time. I called Fairpoint and they created a ticket. On Sunday the speed was back up and on Monday, when the tech showed up, it was back up to around 32/14 with a 15ms ping. This seems to be normal for daytime with reading all over the place at night.

My most recent readings tonight at 8pm were 28/9 with an 85ms ping. That was significantly better than 10 minutes before at 22/7 and 105 ms ping. Is there an answer to this? Are we just at their mercy?! The price is great, I hope the service gets better!
mrmengo
join:2012-01-02
Nashua, NH

mrmengo to JGatsby

to JGatsby
said by JGatsby :

and we're in for 2 years :/

If they can not provide you Fiber highspeed internet... you can break your contract (Fairpoint is not fulfilling their end of the contract.) This is not what you signed up for.