spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gmc4life

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Martin

Re: [DSL] Official 5Megs to 6Megs upgrade thread.

How long is it going to take to update the speeds in Toronto. my speed i only 4.30/640k???

why is it so slow?

Tolarian

join:2009-02-04
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin

Line stats
I was told on the phone by teksavvy support that if I wanted to get the profile upgrade, I would most likely be switched from 5M/0.8M to 6M/0.5M because my upstream SNR is only 6db. If I understand correctly, this is caused by the IKNS remote bug. Is there anything I can do to be put on 6M/0.8M?

smokerings

join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

Tolarian, try posting in the direct forum and perhaps somebody there might be able to lend a hand.

Oh, and I received the upgrade sometime this afternoon at 3pm after posting in the direct forum just before 5pm.

I definitely notice a change while loading content heavy webpages, perhaps I'll go try streaming some 720p youtube and see how that works out!

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to Tolarian

said by Tolarian:

I was told on the phone by teksavvy support that if I wanted to get the profile upgrade, I would most likely be switched from 5M/0.8M to 6M/0.5M because my upstream SNR is only 6db. If I understand correctly, this is caused by the IKNS remote bug. Is there anything I can do to be put on 6M/0.8M?

Post in the Direct and someone will look at it.
It's most likely the IKNS remote.

Thanks,
Paul

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to gmc4life

said by gmc4life :

How long is it going to take to update the speeds in Toronto. my speed i only 4.30/640k???
[att=1]
why is it so slow?

If you are on DSL post in the Direct and we will see what we can do.

Thanks,
Paul

BobbyS

join:2008-03-02
Montreal, QC
reply to Tolarian

Just wondering if you had any luck getting this resolved ? I'm having the same situation ?

drimlet

join:2008-10-24
Manotick, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Reply to TSI Martin.

Approximately, how long will it take for Teksavvy to upgrade everyone from 5 to 6 meg without a direct request? Say, Feb 2 as a starting date.

Tolarian

Montreal, QC
reply to BobbyS

said by BobbyS:

Just wondering if you had any luck getting this resolved ? I'm having the same situation ?

I posted in TSI Direct but they can't make any promises. I ordered another modem with a Broadcom chipset in hope that my upstream stats will get better and then I'll ask to see if the upgrade is possible.

BobbyS

Montreal, QC

I recently got the upgrade from 5 -6, but my upload dropped from 800 to 764. I'm using a Alcatel 516 now, when I was using a 2-Wire modem it showed up as 764 as well.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26

said by BobbyS:

I recently got the upgrade from 5 -6, but my upload dropped from 800 to 764. I'm using a Alcatel 516 now, when I was using a 2-Wire modem it showed up as 764 as well.

This is typical of IKNS.

BobbyS

Montreal, QC

This is typical of IKNS.

What is typical, dropping from 800 to 764 when the down rate is bumped from 5 to 6 ?

join:2012-01-19
Pontypool, ON
reply to TSI Martin

ill post in direct forum later i day
then see what happens
if it mean lower upload forget it, i need at min that 800Kilobit
but if i get bumped up more in that regard im ok to do it

NormanWilson

join:2006-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Martin

For what it's worth:

Friday I noticed I hadn't yet received my 6Mbps upgrade.

Friday evening I sent a note to support@teksavvy.com asking after the upgrade.

Saturday morning I had an acknowledgement from the tech support folks, saying they'd ask Bell to fix it.

Sometime around 1300 Sunday the change was made; my modem is now synced at 6016/800 fastpath.

It's a nuisance that Bell didn't just upgrade everyone as they were (as I understand it) supposed to have done, but it looks to me as if it's not a big deal to get it fixed, as long as your loop is clean enough and you don't mind waiting a day or two. (It's only the Internet, folks.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(in the near west end; probably wired straight to a CO, not through a remote)

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

2 edits
reply to TSI Martin

I got my 5-6Mbps in little less than two hours after TSI Martin put in the request to BHell. TSI techs will do an analysis of your line for "occupancy" prior to see if they can upgrade, so those that don't use Teksavvy Direct will never know if their line can or cannot accommodate the higher speeds or you may never get the speed increase.

Important things to remember is that all your DSL filters are the most current type and are working, yes DSL filters do degrade over time. Make sure the "weakest link" which is the patch cord between your DSL modem and the wall outlet is the shortest possible with 24AWG solid wires instead of the cheap 28AWG stranded telephone extension you get at the dollar store.

Fusion10

join:2009-07-25
Whitby, ON
reply to TSI Martin

I set up a thread in the Direct forum asking to upgrade to 6Mb if possible. The SpeedTest numbers above are about what I've been getting since forever. Do you guys think I should be getting better? I'm on the $34.99 plan after the price hike, was on the equivalent plan ever since signing up with TSI about three years ago.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Fusion10:

I set up a thread in the Direct forum asking to upgrade to 6Mb if possible. The SpeedTest numbers above are about what I've been getting since forever. Do you guys think I should be getting better? I'm on the $34.99 plan after the price hike, was on the equivalent plan ever since signing up with TSI about three years ago.

You should post your lines stats from your modem. The gurus here can usually tell in 2 shakes of stick if you can get better or not. You might also want to check your address out on the B#ell website, see if a remote is close to you. Maybe going to a 12/1 connection would cure any line issues.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil
»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

EdT

Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to Fusion10

Your download stream looks horrible, must be a noise issue with your line or set-up !

Fusion10

Whitby, ON
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

said by Fusion10:

You should post your lines stats from your modem. The gurus here can usually tell in 2 shakes of stick if you can get better or not. You might also want to check your address out on the B#ell website, see if a remote is close to you. Maybe going to a 12/1 connection would cure any line issues.

Mike

Is that what Tolarian posted above? I have no idea how to generate these stats, if anyone can provide brief instructions that would be appreciated.

Yeah EdT, I had a feeling I wasn't getting what I should have been. However, for daily surfing it has been acceptable. Not as good as it could be though.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Fusion10:

Is that what Tolarian posted above? I have no idea how to generate these stats, if anyone can provide brief instructions that would be appreciated.

Which modem are you using, exactly?

said by Fusion10:

Yeah EdT, I had a feeling I wasn't getting what I should have been. However, for daily surfing it has been acceptable. Not as good as it could be though.

Might be real easy to fix.

Mike
--

Fusion10

Whitby, ON

Probably an old model by this point. Speedtouch ST516, v.6.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Fusion10:

Probably an old model by this point. Speedtouch ST516, v.6.

I believe DMT would do it for you. I could be wrong, others will chime in if I am, I'm sure.

Have a careful look at this post:

»lowtek.ca/roo/2009/speedtouch-51···metrics/

Mike
--

dre145

join:2007-04-05
reply to TSI Martin

finally got my profile update and got lucky

»www.speedtest.net/result/1754456475.png

Fusion10

Whitby, ON
reply to dillyhammer

^ nice dre, that's what I'm hoping for!

Thanks for the assistance guys. Jeremy at TSI replied to my post on the Direct forum, stating that I am on a 3Mbps profile. Not sure if that was just an error right from the get-go (Bell or TSI, probably Bell!). But the important thing is he has requested Bell that I be moved to 6Mbps. It should happen within 24 hours. I will check it tomorrow evening.

EdT

Saint-Laurent, QC

If that is the case you should be reimbursed for a 5Mbps to a 2Mbps plan for the past three years ! ...LoL

This happened to me with BHell, they charged me for a 5Mbps plan when I was only getting a 1Mbps plan for six years, they never sent me a new modem for the 5Mbps service because their original Nortel modem could only take up speeds up to 1Mbps plus the fact they were charging me for their 2001 modem rental cost of $8/month which had dropped to $2/month for five years ! After learning about this six years later, I emailed the CEO of BCE and the VP Residential Service phoned me the next day to give me a one year free internet service.

gobnaitt

join:2012-02-03
reply to TSI Martin

said by drimlet:

Reply to TSI Martin.

Approximately, how long will it take for Teksavvy to upgrade everyone from 5 to 6 meg without a direct request? Say, Feb 2 as a starting date.

This is what I'd like to know. I know I can post in the direct forum but I have friends and family who have no idea this site exists. Nobody I know has had their upgrade yet.

Tolarian

Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin

New stats
I got the upgrade today, without doing anything (my request for a ticket was on hold until I got the new modem I ordered). New stats are not so bad. I think I'll just return the Zoom modem unopened.

kmad28

join:2012-02-05
reply to TSI Martin

I got my upgrade today

Down: 6016 kps
Up: 800 kps

New Speeds:

iconfat

join:2005-04-06
Toronto

Looks to me like you are on the 7 meg profile... 6 meg service would get you into the low 5's after taking 15% overhead into account. Well done.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to kmad28

I bet they also put your connection on interleave instead of fast path even if your line can handle fast path. You can tell if you go to »www.pingtest.net/, if it can't do the "packet loss" test your connection is interleave. That test only worked on my connection after I was put back on fast path.

kmad28

join:2012-02-05

What's the difference?