dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Fusion10

Premium Member

to Fusion10

Re: [DSL] Official 5Megs to 6Megs upgrade thread.

said by Fusion10:

Probably an old model by this point. Speedtouch ST516, v.6.

I believe DMT would do it for you. I could be wrong, others will chime in if I am, I'm sure.

Have a careful look at this post:

»lowtek.ca/roo/2009/speed ··· metrics/

Mike
dre145
join:2007-04-05

dre145 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
finally got my profile update and got lucky

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6475.png
Fusion10
join:2009-07-25
Whitby, ON

Fusion10 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
^ nice dre, that's what I'm hoping for!

Thanks for the assistance guys. Jeremy at TSI replied to my post on the Direct forum, stating that I am on a 3Mbps profile. Not sure if that was just an error right from the get-go (Bell or TSI, probably Bell!). But the important thing is he has requested Bell that I be moved to 6Mbps. It should happen within 24 hours. I will check it tomorrow evening.

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT

If that is the case you should be reimbursed for a 5Mbps to a 2Mbps plan for the past three years ! ...LoL

This happened to me with BHell, they charged me for a 5Mbps plan when I was only getting a 1Mbps plan for six years, they never sent me a new modem for the 5Mbps service because their original Nortel modem could only take up speeds up to 1Mbps plus the fact they were charging me for their 2001 modem rental cost of $8/month which had dropped to $2/month for five years ! After learning about this six years later, I emailed the CEO of BCE and the VP Residential Service phoned me the next day to give me a one year free internet service.
gob919
join:2012-02-03
Canada

gob919 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by drimlet:

Reply to TSI Martin.

Approximately, how long will it take for Teksavvy to upgrade everyone from 5 to 6 meg without a direct request? Say, Feb 2 as a starting date.

This is what I'd like to know. I know I can post in the direct forum but I have friends and family who have no idea this site exists. Nobody I know has had their upgrade yet.
Tolarian
join:2009-02-04
Montreal, QC

Tolarian to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

New stats
I got the upgrade today, without doing anything (my request for a ticket was on hold until I got the new modem I ordered). New stats are not so bad. I think I'll just return the Zoom modem unopened.
kmad28
join:2012-02-05

kmad28 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
I got my upgrade today

Down: 6016 kps
Up: 800 kps

New Speeds:

iconfat
join:2005-04-06
Toronto

iconfat

Looks to me like you are on the 7 meg profile... 6 meg service would get you into the low 5's after taking 15% overhead into account. Well done.

eots
join:2003-02-04

eots to kmad28

to kmad28
I bet they also put your connection on interleave instead of fast path even if your line can handle fast path. You can tell if you go to »www.pingtest.net/, if it can't do the "packet loss" test your connection is interleave. That test only worked on my connection after I was put back on fast path.
kmad28

kmad28

What's the difference?

eots

eots

Higher latency is the difference. Your pings are 30ms and mine are 5ms and I'm on fast path. My pings were 25ms on interleave.

Go to the ping test site and if you it won't do the "packet loss" test then you'll know your profile is interleave. With the high upload and download speeds you're getting you're either very close to the CO or you're on a remote and your line could likely handle fast path easily.
kmad28

kmad28

Hmm, thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I just sent a message to our friend asking if he could check what I'm on. I'll go try that ping test now.
kmad28

kmad28 to eots

to eots
Here's my results

Packet loss 0%. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret these results. I used to do Fibe Internet tech support :-(

[EDIT]

But then two subsequent tests yielded this result.

Oh well, either way, I'm happy with the speed boost, fast path or not.
iconfat
join:2005-04-06
Toronto

iconfat

With that ping I doubt you are on interleave.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

Run a java speedtest to compare, like...
»speedtest.cogeco.net/

Speedtest.net (flash-based) sometimes gives me speeds higher than my profile could possibly allow, especially when run under the CHROME browser.

eots

eots to kmad28

to kmad28
You're on fast path, the packet loss test won't run on interleave.
kmad28

kmad28 to jasmo34

to jasmo34
Sure enough, both Bell and Cogeco clock me in at a more reasonable 5.2 mbps (give or take.)

hitek
join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

hitek to eots

to eots
I am on fastpath and the packet loss test is not working for me either.

Not that I'm having any problems at all since I received the upgrade, I was just wondering if anybody had any insight.

EdT
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Right on the money !

dre145
join:2007-04-05

dre145 to eots

to eots
I am on 7mb and on fastpath although my ping jumps arounf from like 12-25ms
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab to EdT

to EdT
said by EdT:

Make sure the "weakest link" which is the patch cord between your DSL modem and the wall outlet is the shortest possible with 24AWG solid wires instead of the cheap 28AWG stranded telephone extension you get at the dollar store.

Where can one obtain these 24AWG extension wires?

EdT
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT

Active Electronics sells even 22AWG 4 conductor telephone cord.
If you can't find any, then just use CAT5E network cable which is 24AWG.

Remember to terminate with RJ11 "Solid" connector, not the more popular ubiquitous "stranded" connectors, the crimping blade is different for solid wires.
Tolarian
join:2009-02-04
Montreal, QC

Tolarian

New new stats!
Got the new modem in the mail today, Zoom 5760(»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 0adsl%27) . I am really pleased with the stats!
mj05
join:2008-04-02
Burlington, ON

mj05 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
has anyone else not been upgraded yet? I seem to have been downgraded and my connection is sketchy today, wondering if something is up...i'm in Burlington.

This is my present speed:

Speed Test #100757918 by dslreports.com
Run: 2012-02-07 19:39:09 EST
Download: 4155 (Kbps)
Upload: 560 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 507.3 down 68.4 up
Tested by server: 319 java
User: 1542197 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: teksavvy.com
Compared to the average of 119 tests from teksavvy.com:
* download is 53% worse, upload is 37% worse

It also changes frequently every time I do a test. Previous to checking today it was always a solid 525 down and 80+ up.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by mj05:

has anyone else not been upgraded yet? I seem to have been downgraded and my connection is sketchy today, wondering if something is up...i'm in Burlington.

This is my present speed:

Speed Test #100757918 by dslreports.com
Run: 2012-02-07 19:39:09 EST
Download: 4155 (Kbps)
Upload: 560 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 507.3 down 68.4 up
Tested by server: 319 java
User: 1542197 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: teksavvy.com
Compared to the average of 119 tests from teksavvy.com:
* download is 53% worse, upload is 37% worse

It also changes frequently every time I do a test. Previous to checking today it was always a solid 525 down and 80+ up.

You have something wrong with your line, that's not a profil.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Speed Test
Upgraded now. Here's my test. And from the diagnostic page on my ADSL modem

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 9:02:33
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 6.016
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 19,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 32,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,0 / 15,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
CarsonKT
join:2011-08-09
Hampstead, QC

CarsonKT

Mine is still 5014/800,
last time I checked was yesterday evening, and I almost reboot my modem every day since 1st Feb

I'm in Montreal QC

Jethro86
join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON

Jethro86

Just post a quick note in the direct support forums with your account name and number. I did mine last Friday afternoon and was updated by Friday night.... though they say it could take from 24-48 hours.
CarsonKT
join:2011-08-09
Hampstead, QC

CarsonKT

Thanks Jethro86,
I thought it will be done automatically.
Will post the note now.
sgfan
join:2008-04-11
Gloucester, ON

sgfan to eots

to eots
said by eots:

I bet they also put your connection on interleave instead of fast path even if your line can handle fast path. You can tell if you go to »www.pingtest.net/, if it can't do the "packet loss" test your connection is interleave. That test only worked on my connection after I was put back on fast path.

I'm not sure how to explain this but I'm definitely on interleave - confirmed with DMT: "ADSL 2 interleaved path (4)". The packet loss test DOES work for me, see screenshot below.

This was tested 3 times to be sure, under Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7.

However, it never worked under Chrome 16, as shown below.

The packet loss test doesn't seem to be a reliable way to determine if you're on fast path or interleave.