how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gapb78

join:2012-01-15
Griffin, GA

New Building Install

I am moving a medical office to a new building that has no phone or data in yet and I plan to build a new dual purpose phone/server room.

I plan to use cat 6 wiring for the data but can I use cat 6 for the phone also? This is a older avaya phone system mostlikely 7-8 years old but still in working order so they are going to just move the avaya system for now.

Can we use cat 6 for both and use the A standard so the jacks will work for phone or data? When doing this how does POE fit in as we want to have several wifi access points on POE also?

If it can be don this way I will bring them to a single 48 port patch panel and run 2 different color patch cables if it is for phone or data.

What other components do I need in the phone room?

Sorry for the aount of questions but this will be my first utility room build. Please advise me and critique my plan.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Up front dont know sweet about large building installs and telephone lines etc..
BUT, my house is wired cat5e for phone and internet. The idea being I could use any line in the house for any purpose as decided at the patch panel. I am not convinced, from what I have read, that extra cost for Cat 6 is worth it. If its the same price by all means. Another consideration is the laying of cable and in particular how hardy the cable is in being manhandled. Not sure on the strength of todays cables (cat5e or cat6) but when I did the house I had to be careful of no bends in the wire (ie no sharp turns, no staples, used hooks and curved routes and xtra large terminal boxes at the jack points (well slightly larger)). In additioncrossed all electrical wires at 90 degrees attempted to ensure parallel runs were 6 inches from electrical and stayed away from ballast lighting (fluorescent lighting). The most important factor during laying is the marking of each wire (so at the end you dont kill yourself) and after to test each line for signal quality, in case there is an inadvertent pinch or damage to a line (shit happens) and you need to run another wire if the other cannot be removed.

Two other considerations come to mind...... First, plenum rating or firehazard (flammatory and smoke) regulations that need to be adhered too. Second, running twine or like material such that future runs in likely places can be done (by attaching wire and pulling). To aid in this you may need to install lengths of pvc pipe in certain areas (lots of prickly things to get caught on) and around corners to make this possible.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY
reply to gapb78
There are a few different considerations you'll need to take into account when taking on this project:

1. You need to check with Avaya... I am particularly concerned with the age of the system - I believe many years ago, Ayava systems used 1 pair digital (for signalling) and 1 pair analog (for actual voice). You'll need to get in touch with your phone system vendor and ask them what the wiring pin-outs are for the station ports; this is what will dictate how your voice wiring will go.

2. Cat6 can be used for anything, voice/data - simply Cat6 has higher shielding and tighter twists of the cable, eliminating cross talk and giving higher throughput - voice is extremely forgiving and non-voip doesn't even require twisted pair.

3. I'd seriously re-visit your phone system - upgrading your system (while expensive) may be a CapEx cost that is viable, seeing as it will bring down the wiring cost (so you won't have to install dedicated voice and dedicated data). Structured wiring CAN be expensive - upgrading a phone system might/might not fit the budget, but it WILL be advantageous going forward.

4. Again, if you upgrade your phone system, you're not going to need much in your telco/server room except data terminations. Obviously your GC should be putting in a 3/4" backboard with #10 dedicated ground (pretty standard). Also your ILEC will want a conduit to the minimum point of entry (MPOE) to drag copper/fiber. I'd STRONGLY advise (if possible) to install two 3-4" conduits to the MPOE... Typically ILEC's will try to drag copper in (because it's what their used to doing and still [sadly, to this day] required for FACP/Alarm lines/Elevator lines).... Most ILECs *WILL NOT* pull fiber into an existing conduit (unless there's innerduct separating copper/fiber -- and it's a HUGE pain to install post-construction).... If you CAN manage, get a second conduit to the MPOE so when they offer fiber they won't complain about there being no conduit.

5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS over-build your physical network during construction... If you think you'll need 48 ports, double it - trust me, you'll understand in a few years.

Enjoy - this should give you a really good start on your project - let me know if you have any questions.
--
Thanks,
Sean Brown
»www.sleepyshark.com

gapb78

join:2012-01-15
Griffin, GA
When you speak of advantages of upgrading the phone system do you mean a new system like a digital system where all the voice in the office is over cat 6 data lines also?

But it could still be a pots or voip system correct?