Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL

1 edit

[Cable TV]New Mediacom Digital Adapters-connecting to TiVo

Just thought I'd post this in case it saves anyone else a little bit of time and effort. Over the weekend my mom wanted some help hooking up the new Mediacom Digital boxes that were provided to connect to old TV's without digital tuners. This is in regard to Mediacom killing off analog channels 23+ sometime in the near future. The Model of the digital box is DCI105MCC. She has old Series 2 TiVo boxes that do not have digital tuners and were previously connected straight between the wall and the TV.

Anyway, setting it up to work with the TiVo and the IR Blaster, the only issue I ran into was figuring out which "cable box" manufacturer to choose. Mediacom as a manufacturer isn't a choice within the TiVo and there is nothing in any of the Mediacom documentation that mentions the actual manufacturer of the boxes. I got it to successfully change the channel using Motorola as the manufacturer.

So my mom's working Mediacom digital tuner with TiVo is setup as follows. Coax cable from wall into Mediacom DCI105MCC box. Coax cable out of Mediacom box into coax input on the TiVo. Then I taped the IR Blaster outputs from the TiVo directly onto the IR eye that comes out of the Mediacom box. Set the TiVo to use Motorola brand cable box and ran it through it's tests. Success changing the channel with the Tivo remote and the Tivo successfully changes the channel to record her season passes.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

1 edit

Glad you got the Tivo to work with your mom's DTA. Those DTAs are manufactured by Thomson/Technicolor. They are pretty neat. One of my four DTAs is of that type, with the other three being the larger boxier model. Here is more specs on that model of DTA:
»204.12.20.48/index.php?id=3&ProdID=1161

and here:
»204.12.20.48/assets/images/Produ···pter.pdf

ADDED: I just read on a Comcast forum that the remote coding for the DCI105 DTA corresponds to a 51982 code. See if that is useful.

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL

1 edit

Cool, thanks for the spec sheet on the cable box. The ones my mom received look similar (the back of the digital box with the connectors is identical, but the front has no markings other than the Power marking on the right side. So nothing provided in the box would give any clue that it's made by Thomson/Technicolor. So hopefully all of the above info is useful to other people facing the same setup with their TiVo or other similar devices.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

Yep, no markings on the front of the DTA to indicate brand. I only knew it was Technicolor through others saying so. Neat little boxes. I've had no trouble with mine in almost a year now (whereas I have had a bit of trouble with the other larger model I also have, with one needing to be replaced because it never synced up). I hope your mom enjoys hers.