uniqs
share rss forum feed

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

HDHomerun

Does anyone have any personal experience using this device with WOW.

»www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHR3···duct_top

I read some reviews elsewhere of some providers having issues with it. Just hoping anyone can confirm that this would work good with WOW. Or if anybody has any other non TIVO cable card devices to suggest. A device that hooks up to a TV, or that has network compatability as a media center extender for 360. One of those is needed, but not both. The point is to buy upfront and avoid monthly fees. That is why Tivo is out and a wow HD DVR is out.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

You'll probably have to call WOW tech support 5 times to get this thing working. Haven't you had enough of that already?

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to hudiat

Cabelco's have been getting the Ceton InfinTV working quite well lately. So, if your worried about WOW getting it working right, I would spend a little more money and get that instead (also four tuners instead of three). Although the Homerun does have the advantage of working through a network and not being directly connected to a pc.

askoca

@gm.com
reply to hudiat

I am using this for about 4 months, did not have any issues specific to WOW. Cable card I picked did not work, they did free truck roll to change it and activated fine.

It seems to be working much better without DTA's, i read some having problems because of tuning adaptors from cable companies.

There have been some issues fixed by firmare update, but I did not have those issues in my setup. Just make sure you have good CAT 5e or above in your house. It works with wireless for 1 HD, but I would not use all 3 tuners on the wireless connection.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

Thanks askoca. I know people with other cable card devices that have had no issues activating it. All the reviews I read of people with issues said the issues occured during changes with the network, since WOW already did the digital transition I just wanted to make sure someone else has it working.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
reply to mix

Mix, I don't think so. I know alot of people who have cable cards and say they activated fine in minutes. I just don't know anyone with this exact model, which reviews were iffy on. But it appears the bad reviews were all based on improper network setup, or cableco changes.

halovanic

join:2011-07-15
Columbus, OH

I've also had one of these devices since September. It took me a couple of tries over the phone with WOW's customer support to get the cable card activated properly; hopefully they should have a better idea of how to set up new devices like this by now.

I'm very happy with my Prime, it's been rock solid under heavy use. I also still use an older non-cablecard model from the same manufacturer that must be about 4 years old now.

From your initial comments, I thought it sounded like you believed this connected to a TV or was an extender for your 360. You do realize this is only a series of tuners, right? You still need some kind of computer to function as a DVR/media center.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

Yes I do realize that. My media pc is in my basement, this would allow me to access the tuner from 360 upstairs. I already use extender functionality from that pc sometimes. I am just looking for some way to get encrypted hd on another tv without paying wow monthly for a box. This would let 2 tvs with 360s access it. $200ish once vs $8/mo or 2 tv's = $16/mo. Savings of a little less after cable card. But still make up the difference after 1 year.

halovanic

join:2011-07-15
Columbus, OH

Actually, the single cable card is listed as 'Free bundle equipment' on my bill. I'm only paying the base digital basic+internet bundle price (and 2 bucks of taxes/fees).