More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

[IMG] 1.9 Likes / Dislikes & Bugs

Now that all VHOs have 1.9, this is the place for 1.9 likes, dislikes and bugs.
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k

My co-worker is in NY and just got the update last week (or whenever it was). She is having an issue where the remote isn't working correctly. She had called tech support like 5 times this weekend because she also had an issue where the channel wouldn't change at all. When talking to the tech the guy said something about the update changing the codes with the remote. I think he might be talking about the way the firmware handles the remote codes. Either way, I am just wondering if anybody else has had any issues with their remote and not working after 1.9? Also any issues with not being able to change channels?

-Shark2k
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by shark2k:

My co-worker is in NY and just got the update last week (or whenever it was). She is having an issue where the remote isn't working correctly. She had called tech support like 5 times this weekend because she also had an issue where the channel wouldn't change at all. When talking to the tech the guy said something about the update changing the codes with the remote. I think he might be talking about the way the firmware handles the remote codes. Either way, I am just wondering if anybody else has had any issues with their remote and not working after 1.9? Also any issues with not being able to change channels?

-Shark2k

When 1.9 hit VHO 7 a few months ago I had NO issues with the remote. She might need just a reboot
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k

said by skohly:

When 1.9 hit VHO 7 a few months ago I had NO issues with the remote. She might need just a reboot

She did multiple reboots with the tech.

-Shark2k

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to More Fiber

to More Fiber
A couple of Verizon sites for those that may not know.

First one is specific to 1.9.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/In ··· -p/IMG19

and (not specific to 1.9 but noteworthy)...

»forums.verizon.com/t5/id ··· t-recent

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Like what I have seen in the past week. Any bugs that affect what I do are minor. The additional storage and multi-DVR access is a major plus as is the HD guide.

One thing that is consistent as reported elsewhere is caller ID. It was sporadic at best under 1.8 and is sporadic at best under 1.9.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to More Fiber

to More Fiber
add more time options to the 'modify start/end times' for scheduled recordings...it's good to see 1.9 add the 1 minute extender option but it would be nice to see even more time slots (on the short end)...it jumps too far ahead each time...1 minute to 5 minutes to 10 minutes etc
rustycruiser
join:2009-12-30
Cockeysville, MD

rustycruiser to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I long for a Remove All or Delete All in the "Recent Deletes" section of the DVR like the "History" section has.

syrgeek
join:2009-06-04
Syracuse, NY

syrgeek to HenryFarpolo

to HenryFarpolo
said by HenryFarpolo:

One thing that is consistent as reported elsewhere is caller ID. It was sporadic at best under 1.8 and is sporadic at best under 1.9.

The Caller ID on TV problems have nothing to do with the IMG. Current problems are from the notification server platform. The clueless developers are 'working on it'.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

just lou to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Love the extra storage space.
Hate the giant channel banner that takes up 1/4 of my screen.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Native Video Pass-through.

STB ability to create and delete recordings on the DVR.

Display of 2 1/2 hours

Improved 3d support including ability to read info while in 3d mode.

Dislikes

I am neutral on the color of the IMG, but would like a different, perhaps slightly larger, font. Ideally some choice on what is used.

The HD IMG squeezing into SD when you bring it up while viewing a SD channel. I use native mode including 480i for SD channels

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to More Fiber

MVM

to More Fiber

Dislikes: Overly large info bar upon changing channels with no option to customize or disable it.

The injection of VOD listings amongst the regular listings.

Sluggish response to remote control commands.
whsbuss
join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA

whsbuss

said by somebodeez:

Dislikes: Overly large info bar upon changing channels with no option to customize or disable it.

The injection of VOD listings amongst the regular listings.

Sluggish response to remote control commands.

+3

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to tnsprin

Premium Member

to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

Dislikes
The HD IMG squeezing into SD when you bring it up while viewing a SD channel. I use native mode including 480i for SD channels

It really doesn't look squeezed, it's just the way it was before in 1.8.
I don't like the Red "New" logo though for new shows, it's so small and you can't even read the word "new" in it.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I have native pass through set on all my set top boxes- the picture seems to be sharper and clearer in my opinion.

I dislike the blank screen time when you change channels and the resolution changes. (4 or 5 second delay)

A question: can you set the guide to only display HD channels all the time, when you select it under options it show only Hd channels, but when you exit out and go back in, in shows all channels.

Also I would just like to comment that I was in my local fios store yesterday showing them how to set native pass through and one of the employees commented that 1.91 might be coming in February. Has anybody else heard about this?
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by tnsprin:

Dislikes

It really doesn't look squeezed, it's just the way it was before in 1.8.
I don't like the Red "New" logo though for new shows, it's so small and you can't even read the word "new" in it.

Looks squeezed to me. Still trying to show 7 channels and 2 1/2 hours but in 4x3 area.

joeyj
@verizon.net

joeyj to rustycruiser

Anon

to rustycruiser
said by rustycruiser:

I long for a Remove All or Delete All in the "Recent Deletes" section of the DVR like the "History" section has.

Why ?
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

I dislike the blank screen time when you change channels and the resolution changes. (4 or 5 second delay)

Your TV is causing that delay, not the box.

A question: can you set the guide to only display HD channels all the time, when you select it under options it show only Hd channels, but when you exit out and go back in, in shows all channels.

There's an option for Last Guide View State under the Television menu in Settings. Enable it, and the Guide will remember how you set it up.
CrobertGauth
join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD

CrobertGauth to somebodeez

to somebodeez
said by somebodeez:

I believe there is an option to disable it all together. Think it is called Information Bar and you can enable/disable.
But do agree option for size and/or display time would be preferable.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

That's not to disable it, it just changes what comes up instead of the info bar, the other choice is even worse, it covers the whole screen.
rustycruiser
Cockeysville, MD

rustycruiser to joeyj

to joeyj
said by joeyj :

said by rustycruiser:

Why ?

Because deleting each "deleted" program individually takes far too long at 3 or 4 clicks per.
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I am probably in the minority here but I absolutely love the 1.9 upgrade and have no issues with the colors, functionality or set-up. I found most of the processes well thought out and just needed a little bit of playing around with to get the full effect of what it does.

The only issue I have had, (other than the long roll-out issue here in NY) and I emphasize it is very minor, is while channel surfing the box sometimes freezes which only requires turning off and then back on. This has been very infrequent and considering the overall improvement, easy to live with.

Congrats to the Verizon programmers and Beta testers on getting this to work so well. Great job!
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn
thanks for the info! I will try that.
is there any way to shorten the delay that the tv is causing?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by floridafuzz:

Not unless there is a firmware update for the TV that speeds up the decoding and resolution switching. Keep in mind that you flat panel always displays in ITS native resolution and has to convert any "foreign" resolution (like 480i).

Typically the only way to speed up a TV resolution change is a newer TV with a faster processor

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
I believe all TV's have that delay when switching resolutions, the only way to shorten is to set the box to receive all channels at the same resolution, no native.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

Not really. It is inherent to your TV's design and processing.

joeyj
@verizon.net

joeyj to rustycruiser

Anon

to rustycruiser
said by rustycruiser:

said by joeyj :

said by rustycruiser:

Why ?

Because deleting each "deleted" program individually takes far too long at 3 or 4 clicks per.

But why not just let them delete by themselves ?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
Nicer UI

Dislikes:
Not full screen on 6xxx box (understandable)
rustycruiser
Cockeysville, MD

rustycruiser to joeyj

to joeyj
said by joeyj :

But why not just let them delete by themselves ?

Hard drives are happier and perform better when they are empty, rather than full. I don't need 30 "deleted" programs clogging up my available disk space, especially 30 HD shows or movies. That is a lot of space. If I delete something, I want it to be gone.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I believe all TV's have that delay when switching resolutions, the only way to shorten is to set the box to receive all channels at the same resolution, no native.

modern HD TV's are upconverting the signal to the TV's native resolution anyway so why not just set it up so there is no delay when switching between resolutions. I have used native and i have used 1080i and switched to 720p for channels passed in 720p on both the 7232 and my TiVo's. I'm not seeing any notable difference on my Sony NX810..thats upconverting the signal to 1080p anyway!