share rss forum feed

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to floridafuzz

Re: [IMG] 1.9 Likes / Dislikes & Bugs

said by floridafuzz:

Also- I though I read somewhere in another thread that fios does not broadcast in 1080p yet

no channels broadcast in 1080p...1080i is the highest native resolution...I think DirectTV has a 1080p movie channel but not positive...if you want 'real' 1080p you need to watch Blu-ray's

floridafuzz
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI
reply to joe01880

joe01880- thank you very much for explaining it in more detail. I had my 7100 p1's and 7232 set on the default of 1080i and the picture quality was fine. I just got 1.9 and tried native pass through and I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture quality looks even better. my tv's are all HD. I tweaked my panny plasma with settings I found posted on avsforums. Did the pro calibration make a big difference and do you feel it was worth the investment?

floridafuzz
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI
reply to TitusTroy

thank you, we enjoy watching movies and tv series and pick them up in blu-ray whenever possible to get the best picture quality.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to floridafuzz

said by floridafuzz:

joe01880- thank you very much for explaining it in more detail. I had my 7100 p1's and 7232 set on the default of 1080i and the picture quality was fine. I just got 1.9 and tried native pass through and I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture quality looks even better. my tv's are all HD. I tweaked my panny plasma with settings I found posted on avsforums. Did the pro calibration make a big difference and do you feel it was worth the investment?

Im not one to say yes..go out and get your TV pro calibrated..its a lot of money and im not gonna spend your money..as much as i am able and would like to

Becareful who you hire to calibrate your TV if you go that route, there are good ones and bad ones..research them first.
CNET is another good source for TV settings. In the end its all about what you like best. An important thing is to give your eye and brain time to adjust to what ever setting you use.

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

More annoyances that anything horrible:

1. On NON-HD sets (so I don't think it's related to changing resolution as has been mentioned here) there is sometimes a LONG pause when changing channels, going from one SD channel to another.
2. When I'm on a favorite channel and hit the favorites button to get the guide that just shows my 8 favorites, it always starts not on the channel I'm watching (as previously and sensibly) but on the channel futher down. A PITA. I know this was mentioned in the old thread, so I'm not the only one, and it hasn't been fixed.
3. I hear ya that the sudden loss of CID is not supposedly related to the upgrade, but it did happen synchronously with that. Still don't have it back, despite doing the "disable, then enable" dance that has worked in the past.
4. In the old guide, hitting the skip forward button brought you to the same time on the next day; now you have to hit the regular forward button instead. This isn't really a problem, but it took a while before I figured that out---the change certainly makes no sense.
5. I'm seeing less in the guide rather than more, and it seems a lot slower scrolling, so that it delays and then catches up with my clicks, usually taking beyond where I wanted to go .

That's my main beef with the upgrade---at this point (maybe because I don't have very fancy equipment) I'm seeing no benefits and just a lot of niggling annoyances.
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

#1-What do you mean by non-HD set? Is the TV not HD or the box? What box do you have?
#2-is annoying, but will be fixed in 1.9.1

WileEC
mindtaker, macky cat, etc.

join:2002-02-07
Yonkers, NY
reply to tnsprin

I think the colors suck. Especially the similiarity between reds for movies and children's shows. What was verizon thinking? Why use only dark shades of red, blue and green? What about yellow? What about orange? It should be instantly clear what type of shows are which, but it is not.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

said by WileEC:

I think the colors suck. Especially the similiarity between reds for movies and children's shows. What was verizon thinking? Why use only dark shades of red, blue and green? What about yellow? What about orange? It should be instantly clear what type of shows are which, but it is not.

it looks as if Verizon is dancing between hue's that color blind people may have trouble with. They are doing a good job of it too!

DaveR5

join:2007-07-17
reply to joe01880

said by joe01880:

I had tried setting the 7232 to pass signals untouched by processing by the FiOS DVR, honestly the only difference i saw was those my TV was making when switching to accomadate that setting. A lag of video and audio for a few seconds as the TV does internal switching. I dont like it so i leave the FiOS 7232 set to send everything as 1080i, the 1080p conversion my TV makes is seemless.

Whether you see a difference is dependent on the TV. In any case it will be subtle.

For me, native has improved the PQ on 720p and SD channels. My Panasonic Plasma TV does a better job upconverting these signals to its native 1080p than the Motorola box. I accept the lag as a tradeoff. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference in PQ but I can.

nickyboy4

join:2008-07-24
Farmingdale, NY

said by DaveR5:

said by joe01880:

I had tried setting the 7232 to pass signals untouched by processing by the FiOS DVR, honestly the only difference i saw was those my TV was making when switching to accomadate that setting. A lag of video and audio for a few seconds as the TV does internal switching. I dont like it so i leave the FiOS 7232 set to send everything as 1080i, the 1080p conversion my TV makes is seemless.

Whether you see a difference is dependent on the TV. In any case it will be subtle.

For me, native has improved the PQ on 720p and SD channels. My Panasonic Plasma TV does a better job upconverting these signals to its native 1080p than the Motorola box. I accept the lag as a tradeoff. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference in PQ but I can.

I also have a Pany plasma and cant stand the lag as I filp around alot, neither can my wife. To be honest I cant see a difference anyway. I looked forward to having native pass thru but no big deal.

jd9785

@verizon.net

I have to say I like the upgrade and have not really seen any bugs. The only problem I have is the white letters on the blue screen are almost impossible to read when watching my home TV on the road via a Slingbox and that is not really Verizon's fault.

I assume it's just the widescreen guide being degraded as it's sent over the internet and the low to moderate bit-rate I get for the connection on my work computer.

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to More Fiber

I think the colors in the Guide are fine...the colors in the 'Menu' portion could use a bit of tweaking (better contrast)...the colors, fonts and clarity of the Guide is beautiful though

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX
reply to More Fiber

Moving to this forum:

When scheduling a show that is far out (it looks like past the end of the dvr schedule), the dvr reboots. For example, the schedule ends on 1/15 and the show is on 1/20. It happens when trying to schedule a show or series listed on 1/20. Was trying to schedule Touch and it happened twice. This issue has been fairly consistent since 1.9 was downloaded. The problem is occurring on both 7232 dvrs. When the dvr reboots, a red light comes on next to the time/channel display.

ZNYGUY

join:2005-01-06
Lake Grove, NY
reply to More Fiber

I want predictive text put back into search. Who had the bright idea of taking that out anyway?

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

I think the colors in the Guide are fine...the colors in the 'Menu' portion could use a bit of tweaking (better contrast)...the colors, fonts and clarity of the Guide is beautiful though

I suspect that you don't suffer from partial red / green color blindness (an affliction of about 5% of the male population). I do and I can't differentiate all of the colors in the guide, but then again, I'm used to that type of discrimination Could hte choices be better, yes, is it a big deal, no.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

DaveR5

join:2007-07-17

When pausing playback, the info bar stays on indefinitely. It would be nice if the info bar disappeared after some time, and also if a screen saver would appear after 5 minutes or more. I need to avoid pausing for long stretches of time for fear of image retention on my TV.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nickyboy4

said by nickyboy4:

said by DaveR5:

said by joe01880:

I also have a Pany plasma and cant stand the lag as I filp around alot, neither can my wife. To be honest I cant see a difference anyway. I looked forward to having native pass thru but no big deal.

Your should only see a second of two delay, and only if the new channel is using a different mode. Unless your are compulsive channel changer that is not a big deal. The difference in quality for the 720P channels is worth it on my 1080p Samsung's

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to keyboards

said by keyboards:

I suspect that you don't suffer from partial red / green color blindness (an affliction of about 5% of the male population). I do and I can't differentiate all of the colors in the guide, but then again, I'm used to that type of discrimination Could hte choices be better, yes, is it a big deal, no.

I understand why you want the colors changed...but honestly do the colors really matter in terms of the Guide itself?...I look at the Guide and read it based off of what info the Guide displays about the channels I am looking at...the colors to me are not what I use to read it...they are just a colorful representation of movies, sports etc but I honestly don't pay any attention at all to the colors

I guess some people do use the colors to guide them but I think of them as eye candy but they don't serve any real purpose...the channel numbers and program info is what I look at

as far as native passthrough...most channels are 1080i so the lag only affects a small number of channels...although it does affect me as I watch a lot of the ESPN HD channels...but again the lag is more then worth it, especially if you're a videophile

joe01880

Wakefield, MA
reply to keyboards

said by keyboards:

said by TitusTroy:

I have both red/green and blue/yellow color blindness and the see the color scheme just fine. Maybe recalibrate your TV.

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX

said by joe01880:

said by keyboards:

said by TitusTroy:

I have both red/green and blue/yellow color blindness and the see the color scheme just fine. Maybe recalibrate your TV.

I think Joe is right on. I am red/green colorblind and I find the colors on the Guide, Menu, VOD, etc. are just fine, easily readable.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

I dislike the fact that I cannot properly save my zip code in the VZ concierge theater ticket widget; It will truncate any zip code that begins with a "0", leaving 4 digits and acquiring theaters and schedules from someplace else.. ex; 01824 is stored as 1824, the next time I try to use the widget to check theater schedules, it recalls theaters from 1824x, which is in PA. somewhere, not MA. where 01824 is.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

#1-What do you mean by non-HD set? Is the TV not HD or the box? What box do you have?

I meant the TV is not HD. My DVR IS HD, but attached to a non-HD set, and the two STBs are SD, so I will have to change them when I replace all three with HDs next month. I mentioned the SD just because I wanted to reiterate that the delay didn't seem related to changing resolution.

As an aside, my CID appeared again, all on its own .

And an additional gripe (mentioned in the old thread): the loss of the predictive text in search. The cellphone-type entry is now working for me, but what a PITA compared to the predictive text!

--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to More Fiber

Overall, I think 1.9 is a great IMG update. Love the expanded storage (can finally record in HD and not worry about how much space is left) and the guide is nice. However, there are issues that Verizon needs to work out...

1. While watching recorded programs with local commercials, the skip function does not work properly and will bring you to the end of the program. This only applies to some channels, but enough that I watch to make it quite annoying. Fast-forwarding and rewinding works fine but it's not as intuitive as the skip. I've been told that Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on it.

2. For some reason, I'll go to change the channel, scroll through the guide or enter the DVR and the box will not respond right away. I have to wait for the box to respond lest I press the button again thinking I wasn't pointing the remote properly and then all heck will break loose as the box will finally respond and go through all the commands sent to it. I've changed the batteries on my remote and rebooted the box so it has to be a problem with the IMG.

3. Not a bug, but ditto on making the external HD account specific and not box specific so that if the box dies we'll be able to replace it and still have all the recordings on the external HD intact.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to joe01880

said by joe01880:

said by keyboards:

said by TitusTroy:

My set is calibrated. There are varying degrees causing various shades and hues to indistinguishable.

As I said in my original post about this IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL and I have not made a fuss about the color scheme being changed, just an observation.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
reply to DaveR5

said by DaveR5:

When pausing playback, the info bar stays on indefinitely. It would be nice if the info bar disappeared after some time, and also if a screen saver would appear after 5 minutes or more. I need to avoid pausing for long stretches of time for fear of image retention on my TV.

I hit Exit and the bar disappears. Newer sets don't have the image retention issue the older ones had, but I don't know how long a pause will hold. I paused live TV on 1.8 and after 10 - 15 minutes it started on it's own and moved to the end of the buffer instead of picking up at the pause point, don't like that.

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to tnsprin

said by tnsprin:

Your should only see a second of two delay, and only if the new channel is using a different mode. Unless your are compulsive channel changer that is not a big deal. The difference in quality for the 720P channels is worth it on my 1080p Samsung's

I have a Sony NX 810 TV, not best thing on the market last year but not shabby either. and yes, the delay is only a second or 2 but a second or two to much for my tastes. I flip channels, espcially if the wife is out. The PQ is so good on both my 7232 and Premiere TiVo being set to 1080i i can live with it and honestly i see no difference with either box set to native pass through

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to keyboards

said by keyboards:

My set is calibrated. There are varying degrees causing various shades and hues to indistinguishable.

As I said in my original post about this IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL and I have not made a fuss about the color scheme being changed, just an observation.

I stand corrected, by my wife. I am not seeing the difference between the red and green things in the guide because..im not seeing it. The 2 colors are canceling each other out and appear red to me (i didnt even know there was a green) or so my wife is telling me. we do not get the chance to sit down and watch TV together often. So who knows what other colors im not seeing or seeing correctly. In the future never listen to anything i have to say about colors. i am way to color blind to be trusted.

Has anyone said anything about the new bookmark with the VOD feature?
When you back out of the bookmark you goto it doesnt take back to bookmarks?

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to altermatt

I don't think it was "all on its own"

said by altermatt:

As an aside, my CID appeared again, all on its own .

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to bushleaguer

1, 2, (both Firmware related) and 3 are being addressed. 3 will take much more time.

said by bushleaguer:

Overall, I think 1.9 is a great IMG update. Love the expanded storage (can finally record in HD and not worry about how much space is left) and the guide is nice. However, there are issues that Verizon needs to work out...

1. While watching recorded programs with local commercials, the skip function does not work properly and will bring you to the end of the program. This only applies to some channels, but enough that I watch to make it quite annoying. Fast-forwarding and rewinding works fine but it's not as intuitive as the skip. I've been told that Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on it.

2. For some reason, I'll go to change the channel, scroll through the guide or enter the DVR and the box will not respond right away. I have to wait for the box to respond lest I press the button again thinking I wasn't pointing the remote properly and then all heck will break loose as the box will finally respond and go through all the commands sent to it. I've changed the batteries on my remote and rebooted the box so it has to be a problem with the IMG.

3. Not a bug, but ditto on making the external HD account specific and not box specific so that if the box dies we'll be able to replace it and still have all the recordings on the external HD intact.

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to More Fiber

not really a 1.9 issue but anyone know why the FF/Rewind function is so slow in VOD compared to recorded programs?...in VOD you can only FF/RW in 2X speed and it's slow as hell to get to the end of a program...why isn't there a faster speed option in VOD?