miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

[IMG] 1.9 Likes / Dislikes & Bugs

I dislike the fact that I cannot properly save my zip code in the VZ concierge theater ticket widget; It will truncate any zip code that begins with a "0", leaving 4 digits and acquiring theaters and schedules from someplace else.. ex; 01824 is stored as 1824, the next time I try to use the widget to check theater schedules, it recalls theaters from 1824x, which is in PA. somewhere, not MA. where 01824 is.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

#1-What do you mean by non-HD set? Is the TV not HD or the box? What box do you have?

I meant the TV is not HD. My DVR IS HD, but attached to a non-HD set, and the two STBs are SD, so I will have to change them when I replace all three with HDs next month. I mentioned the SD just because I wanted to reiterate that the delay didn't seem related to changing resolution.

As an aside, my CID appeared again, all on its own .

And an additional gripe (mentioned in the old thread): the loss of the predictive text in search. The cellphone-type entry is now working for me, but what a PITA compared to the predictive text!

--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to More Fiber

Overall, I think 1.9 is a great IMG update. Love the expanded storage (can finally record in HD and not worry about how much space is left) and the guide is nice. However, there are issues that Verizon needs to work out...

1. While watching recorded programs with local commercials, the skip function does not work properly and will bring you to the end of the program. This only applies to some channels, but enough that I watch to make it quite annoying. Fast-forwarding and rewinding works fine but it's not as intuitive as the skip. I've been told that Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on it.

2. For some reason, I'll go to change the channel, scroll through the guide or enter the DVR and the box will not respond right away. I have to wait for the box to respond lest I press the button again thinking I wasn't pointing the remote properly and then all heck will break loose as the box will finally respond and go through all the commands sent to it. I've changed the batteries on my remote and rebooted the box so it has to be a problem with the IMG.

3. Not a bug, but ditto on making the external HD account specific and not box specific so that if the box dies we'll be able to replace it and still have all the recordings on the external HD intact.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to joe01880

said by joe01880:

said by keyboards:

said by TitusTroy:

I think the colors in the Guide are fine...the colors in the 'Menu' portion could use a bit of tweaking (better contrast)...the colors, fonts and clarity of the Guide is beautiful though

I suspect that you don't suffer from partial red / green color blindness (an affliction of about 5% of the male population). I do and I can't differentiate all of the colors in the guide, but then again, I'm used to that type of discrimination Could hte choices be better, yes, is it a big deal, no.

I have both red/green and blue/yellow color blindness and the see the color scheme just fine. Maybe recalibrate your TV.

My set is calibrated. There are varying degrees causing various shades and hues to indistinguishable.

As I said in my original post about this IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL and I have not made a fuss about the color scheme being changed, just an observation.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
reply to DaveR5

said by DaveR5:

When pausing playback, the info bar stays on indefinitely. It would be nice if the info bar disappeared after some time, and also if a screen saver would appear after 5 minutes or more. I need to avoid pausing for long stretches of time for fear of image retention on my TV.

I hit Exit and the bar disappears. Newer sets don't have the image retention issue the older ones had, but I don't know how long a pause will hold. I paused live TV on 1.8 and after 10 - 15 minutes it started on it's own and moved to the end of the buffer instead of picking up at the pause point, don't like that.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to tnsprin

said by tnsprin:

Your should only see a second of two delay, and only if the new channel is using a different mode. Unless your are compulsive channel changer that is not a big deal. The difference in quality for the 720P channels is worth it on my 1080p Samsung's

I have a Sony NX 810 TV, not best thing on the market last year but not shabby either. and yes, the delay is only a second or 2 but a second or two to much for my tastes. I flip channels, espcially if the wife is out. The PQ is so good on both my 7232 and Premiere TiVo being set to 1080i i can live with it and honestly i see no difference with either box set to native pass through

joe01880

Wakefield, MA

1 edit
reply to keyboards

said by keyboards:

My set is calibrated. There are varying degrees causing various shades and hues to indistinguishable.

As I said in my original post about this IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL and I have not made a fuss about the color scheme being changed, just an observation.

I stand corrected, by my wife. I am not seeing the difference between the red and green things in the guide because..im not seeing it. The 2 colors are canceling each other out and appear red to me (i didnt even know there was a green) or so my wife is telling me. we do not get the chance to sit down and watch TV together often. So who knows what other colors im not seeing or seeing correctly. In the future never listen to anything i have to say about colors. i am way to color blind to be trusted.

Has anyone said anything about the new bookmark with the VOD feature?
When you back out of the bookmark you goto it doesnt take back to bookmarks?

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:2
reply to altermatt

I don't think it was "all on its own"

said by altermatt:

As an aside, my CID appeared again, all on its own .

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to bushleaguer

1, 2, (both Firmware related) and 3 are being addressed. 3 will take much more time.

said by bushleaguer:

Overall, I think 1.9 is a great IMG update. Love the expanded storage (can finally record in HD and not worry about how much space is left) and the guide is nice. However, there are issues that Verizon needs to work out...

1. While watching recorded programs with local commercials, the skip function does not work properly and will bring you to the end of the program. This only applies to some channels, but enough that I watch to make it quite annoying. Fast-forwarding and rewinding works fine but it's not as intuitive as the skip. I've been told that Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on it.

2. For some reason, I'll go to change the channel, scroll through the guide or enter the DVR and the box will not respond right away. I have to wait for the box to respond lest I press the button again thinking I wasn't pointing the remote properly and then all heck will break loose as the box will finally respond and go through all the commands sent to it. I've changed the batteries on my remote and rebooted the box so it has to be a problem with the IMG.

3. Not a bug, but ditto on making the external HD account specific and not box specific so that if the box dies we'll be able to replace it and still have all the recordings on the external HD intact.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to More Fiber

not really a 1.9 issue but anyone know why the FF/Rewind function is so slow in VOD compared to recorded programs?...in VOD you can only FF/RW in 2X speed and it's slow as hell to get to the end of a program...why isn't there a faster speed option in VOD?

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

said by TitusTroy:

not really a 1.9 issue but anyone know why the FF/Rewind function is so slow in VOD compared to recorded programs?...in VOD you can only FF/RW in 2X speed and it's slow as hell to get to the end of a program...why isn't there a faster speed option in VOD?

Because, for some insane reason, Verizon decided to make FiOS VOD work like the VOD on every other cable system in the country, which is limited to 2x speed.

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by UnnDunn:

Because, for some insane reason, Verizon decided to make FiOS VOD work like the VOD on every other cable system in the country, which is limited to 2x speed.

..Which most likely is favored by the content providers, unless, of course, they are able to stop "FF" altogether.
--

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

said by miataman:

said by UnnDunn:

..Which most likely is favored by the content providers, unless, of course, they are able to stop "FF" altogether.

I don't think it's "favored" by the content providers -- it's REQUIRED by them.

TitusTroy

New York, NY

said by miataman:

said by PJL:

I don't think it's "favored" by the content providers -- it's REQUIRED by them.

most VOD has no commercials so FF/RW really should have no impact on the content provided...I usually watch most of my content through recorded programs so when I was FF something the other night on VOD I forgot just how slow it was

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by TitusTroy:

most VOD has no commercials so FF/RW really should have no impact on the content provided...I usually watch most of my content through recorded programs so when I was FF something the other night on VOD I forgot just how slow it was

They may be "light" on commercials, but they heavily cross-promote their other shows.
--

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

And if you want to use FOX VOD (for their broadcast shows) they actually show them with ALL the original commercials and they have FF disabled - what a PITA.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

joe01880

Wakefield, MA
reply to More Fiber

so whats next, when is 1.9.1 suppose to be sent out and is there any talk of whats after that 2.0 or what? Whats in the wind ya all?
Where are the 4 or 5 tuner DVR's?

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

I found out this evening that I could essentially "customize" my VOD menus, by creating bookmarks for Folders, instead of individual programs. By putting my most-used network HD folders there, I can jump more readily to what I like.
--

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

I never thought I would use the "play all" feature, but 2 things happened. After an early morning scheduled reboot, I found that a "Frontline" episode was split in 2, thereby being placed in a folder. By using "play all" the stitching of the 2 parts was much better than if I had to do it manually (not instantaneous, but close to it).

The other item has to do with the way some programs start and end "off-time" without the schedule knowing. Watching 2 recorded episodes of "Pawn Stars", I was actually able to show the ending of the 1st episode almost as it was meant to be seen, instead of at the head of a separately started 2nd episode. By extending only the end of the 2nd episode by 1 minute, I was able to more fully enjoy both.
--

DaveR5

join:2007-07-17

Another pet peeve: when multiple DVR recordings exist for the same show, it's great that the menu puts them into a folder. However, it should list the oldest first, not the newest.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by DaveR5:

Another pet peeve: when multiple DVR recordings exist for the same show, it's great that the menu puts them into a folder. However, it should list the oldest first, not the newest.

Maybe, but that's just the way the IMG stores everything in the DVR Menu anyway, the oldest on bottom, newest on top, not just the folders.

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to DaveR5

said by DaveR5:

I disagree...I think FiOS is doing it right (TiVO also sets up folders this way)...newest makes more sense to go on top

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DaveR5

said by DaveR5:

agreed
However on a "play all" it will play the oldest first.
--

johnf2
Bucks County, PA. VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

said by DaveR5:

Maybe, but that's just the way the IMG stores everything in the DVR Menu anyway, the oldest on bottom, newest on top, not just the folders.

DVR menu order: Newest on the Top, Oldest on the Bottom. Makes it easy to see the newest, current recordings.
--
johnf2

ksalper

join:2002-11-15
West Orange, NJ
reply to miataman

I'd very much prefer if "play all" let you choose to play oldest first, newest first, or random order, which would be especially handy with folders full of shows for the kids.

There's an idea post about this, but it got very little notice when posted.

DaveR5

join:2007-07-17
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

I disagree...I think FiOS is doing it right (TiVO also sets up folders this way)...newest makes more sense to go on top

If I record a series, I always want to watch the episodes in order.

Seems to me the best solution is to add a Setting to control the sort order. Then we'll both be happy

WAW

@lightpath.net
reply to More Fiber

I notice that everytime TV turned on I have to choose hd or sd tv. Very annoying anyway to get rid of this?

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
reply to More Fiber

I like having the "tune channel" option on the info menu for a future program. Sometimes the future is just a few minutes!
--

syrgeek

join:2009-06-04
Syracuse, NY
reply to WAW

said by WAW :

I notice that everytime TV turned on I have to choose hd or sd tv. Very annoying anyway to get rid of this?

It will prompt you every time the stb, not the tv, is turned on until you make a selection. If you exit or do not properly make a selection on the first run screen it will come back until you do.

Torrid Zone

join:2009-06-13
Carmel, NY
reply to More Fiber

My 7232 does not record entire programs in 1.9. It starts a minute or two into a show or movie and ends a minute or two before the program ends. This didn't happen in 1.8.